Blueman90's Story - (61 / losing my mind)

blueman90

Reaction score
Back around nov 2010 I was using the same shampoo I had used for quite some time , they changed the formula . I noticed after one day my entire scalp was oily and I have always had fine hair but a lot of it. Oh yes when I was 31 during a divorce the crown began to thin , I did not notice by later was told by my new girlfriend that I actually had a bald spot but the hair grew back. She said it was stress .

Back to the present. I switched shampoos to one without sulfates and the oliyness stopped but not long after I got this intense burning scalp . A few months later I noticed much more hair on my brush , where I would get a few there were many many more. These were mostly older longer hairs in the back and sides.

I had my wife cut the length yet the shedding continued for months then let up quite a lot. then I became ill with a high fever for a week and months later the shedding was even worse.

I went to a derm and he was not really interested , I asked if it could be Telogen Effluvium due to stress and he said it's possible but really didn't check well other than to tell me I had dermititis , this came on it seemed as a result of the massive shedding because I had no itching before the shedding.

He did blood work and found everything to be perfect .

I have been all over the internet freaking out and yes I was stressed for quite a while due to a sick cat and no job and big money worries . I feel still it is Telogen Effluvium and now for a two week time the shedding has decreased quite a lot and I do see and my wife see's many new hairs about 3/4" to 1 inch long.

Trouble is the internet has you running scared and has all sorts of ad's for products and all sorts of opinions and contradictions.

So I am lost and the stress of the shedding is more stress I did not have before.

The shedding is not just the top but all over even the sides and the neck line.

Yes at 61 my hair is not as thick as it was at 20 or 30 but is was not progressing much until Nov 2010 with this sudden massive shedding.

I don't count hairs but from a few in the brush to perhaps 250 in a few months and so sudden.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, 61 and just now you start losing your hair... Many of us wished that happened to us.

All I can say is, educate yourself on the "Big 3" of hairloss prevention, namely; Minoxidil (hair lotion), Finasteride (pill) and Ketaconazol (shampoo)- and see if that's what you want to do to prevent further hairloss.

blueman90

Reaction score
deadlocks , that's the problem , I'm not ever sure why the sudden shed began in the first place. I never had this happen before
all I do know is I have been under a lot of constant mental stress and that's why I felt it may be Telogen Effluvium because it fits the profile.