bob1's story - (Hairloss at age 21)

bob1

Reaction score
Currently, I am 21 years old. I first noticed an increase in shedding about a year and a half ago. Shortly after that I noticed that my hairline was starting to recede. My father's side of the family does have a history of hair loss. My dad and all three of my uncles on that side of the family are for the most part completely bald. My father has the least amount of hair out the four of them. Everyone on my mother's side of the family has a full head of hair, even my 80 year old grandfather.

About two and a half months ago I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me propecia. He really didn't even examine my scalp or anything. (I can't say that I really trust doctors after the last few experiences I have had with them.) Currently Propecia is the only thing I am using to help fight my hairloss. I know two and a half months isn't a long time to have been using Propecia, but I haven't seen any results yet. Within the last two weeks, I have noticed a rapid increase of my hairline receding.

Ever since I noticed my receding hair line, it has caused me a lot of emotional stress. I obsess over the loss of my hair. I really can't come to grips with the fact that I will probably be bald in the not so distant future.

Really I'm just looking for some support of what I'm dealing with and just to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this problem at this age.

Here is a picture I took today.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Hairloss at age 21

You're 21 - it's a tough time anyway, with exams and whatnot.

I can make several observations. Firstly, the action of following a regimen will be psychologically very beneficial, because it means you are doing something about your problem rather than letting it rule you.

Secondly, my hair looked very similar to yours when i was 21 and I freaked out quite hard. Now I am 24, a lot of stuff has happened in between and I kind of realise how silly obsessing about hair is. My regimen has not magically given me a NW1 but it has definitely helped. I reckon I look much better than I did when I was 21. Also I found that I kind of grew into my face over those 3 years, which helps.

So firstly, a regimen has a very good chance of addressing the problem, and secondly hair is overrated.

Blondilocks

Established Member
Reaction score

Don't worry Bob im in exactly the same situation just turned 21 i have blond hair but my hairline is identical to yours and that picture is very familar! I also have an uncle and grandad on my dads side are bald my dads not though but receded an i am 2 months in aswell i'm you!! an have found the whole experience completely distressing and have developed an un healthy obsession with the mirror, my hairline as rapidly shot back aswell very agressive,

I've been also using

Nizoral
taking a vitamin supplement for hair
Aloe Vera gel
Nourkin shampoo

your not alone im in the same boat! you can talk to me!!

bob1

Reaction score

Does anyone have any possible ideas of why my hair receding has increased in speed? A lot more hair has been falling out than usual. Especially in the shower.

This is probably the healthiest I have been in a while. I have been exercising regularly, taking a multivitamin,and reduced the amount of alcohol I've been drinking. On the other hand, I have been a little more stressed out lately (college has kept me extremely busy).I had my blood tested about 4 months ago to see if I have a thyroid problem and everything came back normal.

It's really causing me distress. I am doing the best I can to accept my situation but it is hard when so many things make me constantly think about my hairloss ex. hair falling out in shower, looking in mirror and all those damn hairloss commercials on TV.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Have you ever considered the possibility its a maturing hairline?

Nevertheless I think you're doing everything you can. I suggest adding Rogaine Foam to your regime (for your hairline). Propecia doesnt really grow any new hair, it only slows down the balding process. Minoxidil (Rogaine Foam) will actually grow you some new hair. Its well worth a try.

The only other advice I can really give you is to lead a healthy life style, eat well and don't drink alcohol much and definitely dont smoke! And goto the gym regularily to stay fit.

Good luck bro :)