Bobbyrae's Story - (53)

bobbyrae

Reaction score
I am currently 53 with what I consider to be a moderate bald spot. It's about 3" diameter. It started thinning when I was about 30 and at the time (1987) I tried using some RedKen liquid that was claiming reduction in hair loss (according to their own internal tests, of course!). I don't think it did anything and RedKen seems to have since gone out of business. The thinning seemed to reach a plateasu in my early 30's, and since it was just a bit thin, I decided not to worry about it. Besides, WHAT could I do in the late 80's?

So as I got to my mid forties, I noticed that the thinning had taken a turn for the worse, but the bald spot area had not increased. The hair on the top of my head had also thinned a bit, but not nearly as much as the bald spot.

At the start then, I guesstimate that I have around 5-10% dark hair remaining in the bald spot. In june I decided to take a shot with Rogaine and picked up some foam. Someone tell me if I am wrong here, but I found that putting on the suggested amount was just being wasteful. I mean, all you can do is get the area damp, right? More just makes the surrounding hair sticky and smelly. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was also the scent that inspired me to use less since decreasing the dosage meant I wasn't smelling things up whereever I went! Anyway, the reduction in dosage allowed me to go almost 3 full months with a one month can when applying twice daily.

Being a cheap bastard, I noticed that Walgreens sells their own brand of Minoxidil liquid and it seems obvious that it is just Rogaine in different packaging for a little less. Find it on sale and you save a lot this way. Again, if I am wrong about this, someone let me know!

I have to say I am quite perplexed at the difference between foam and liquid. The foam seems to dry in a matter of minutes, while the liquid takes over an hour. What's going on here? Does one have any advantage over the other because of the drying times, or is that just some unfortunate side effect? Maybe if the liquid dried really quick, people would complain about the stuff evaporating when they left the top off the bottle!!!

Right now, I am almost 4 months in and it APPEARS that I am getting some fine, colorless hair growth, but it is really hard to be sure. I am looking closer than I have in the past and being optimistic; maybe seeing what I want, huh?. Probably at my age and period of hair loss, it is not reasonable to expect much at this point, is it? :dunno:

I see the Nizoral shampoo mentioned here and I have to say that I have NOT had any itching or irritation on the scalp AT ALL, but would be willing to give the stuff a shot it if will help with the hair regrowth.[attachment=0:1y0k62nm]hair3sm.JPG[/attachment:1y0k62nm]

Attachments

• hair3sm.JPG
    hair3sm.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 170

bobbyrae

Reaction score
Re: Bobbyrae's story and intro (53)

No replies... is it my age? Almost no one here can relate because most are much younger?

WhyNot

Reaction score

Your scalp does look a little inflamed. All i can say is good luck, but i will add in i would give my left nut to lose my hair 36 years from where i am today.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Your dosage
:agree:

If you'r not willing to jump on finastride you need another antiandrogen to get decent results that last. I use 5% spironolactone creame and find that somewhat helpfull :) There are minoxidil brands who dry in 15ish minutes when you apply the amount of mino you are supposed to use. Personally i perfer minoxidil.com's #500

malo

Established Member
Reaction score

I am older then you and I've been using minoxidil and propecia
for the past ten years.
The thing is it seems everybody reacts differently to them (like all drugs)
Anecdotal information on forums are great but no two people are the same.
I am providing a link to Dr. Robert Bernstein's page on hair loss medications.
He is a pioneer in hair restoration.
You might also want to look into Propecia which is good for maintaining hair
although there are examples of regrowth on Dr. Bernstein's sight.
As with all drugs there can be side effects so I would recommend that you
consult a dermatologist who is knowledgeable about hair loss.
I hope this helps.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical ... dications/

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Here's the deal. If you get on finasteride and keep up on the minoxodil (you might need to change to a higher % minoxidil like Xandrox or something from minoxodil.com ), you will probably see some regrowth

However, if you want to fix the bald spot totally it will likely require a hair transplant

you seem to have good hair for that, the rest looks moderately thick and your hairline must be pretty stable