Bobhairly Story (31 / starting out on big3 - need advice)

bobhairly

Reaction score
Hi Guys

First congrats on a great forum, I have received an education just reading through these posts!

I thought I would start a thread here to document my battle with male pattern baldness.
I am 31 from the UK, my father is almost completely bold now but with some on the sides and back, he lost most by his forties, and I believe I am on track to join him

I have always had very thin blond hair, and my hairline has been receding for maybe 7-8 years quite slowly, however in the last few years ive noticed a much increased hair loss rate and it has left me thin on top and with an island of hair on the front of my head

Until I took photos for this site I thought it was just the front of my head and the strip down the middle, but now I see I am generally thin all over on top, the crown of my head seems to be thinning a little too

So, I am two weeks in on 1mg propecia daily with no sides noticed yet, and one week into rogaine foam 2x daily, again no sides noticed on that either
Im also taking multi-vitamin supplements and Omega-3 as my diet isnt the best.

I apply the rogaine foam all over the top of my head and the front and crown, probably use more than i should but hard to cover all that in half a cap?!

Im also using nizoral 2% every 3 days, and on the off days im using Panten Smooth and Sleek shampoo and conditioner (better than the head and shoulders I have been using for years)

However, i want to replace that shampoo with something else, maybe a hair thickener, do you think that will help with my type hair? ive heard positive stuff about L'Oreal Elvive for Men Thickening Shampoo.

I have also seen positive reviews for revita, could i replace nizoral every 3 days with this daily with same effects but thicker feeling hair?

So some questions i have on my mind which im hoping you guys could help me with:

1) on one of my pictures you can see many white hairs at the front of my head, do you think these will be rescued?
2) Not sure what i am on the norwood scale, what do you think?
3) what do you think the best I can expect with my hairloss at this stage?

Thanks to you all! (and sorry for so many questions)

I intend to update this monthly with my results of my battle.

Any feedback greatly welcome

Attachments

• front-top-hairfoward-closeup.jpg
    front-top-hairfoward-closeup.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 185
  • side-closeup2.jpg
    side-closeup2.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 192
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 184

mike_b

Reaction score
I think the common notion is that anywhere you have hair, you can grow more. You are doing the right thing with your products, according to the general internet consensus.

-Protect what you have with finasteride
-Increase chances for regrowth with minoxidil
-Nizoral is potentially icing on the cake

It looks like you've been thinning for a bit, so I think you're in a good position to relax, take your regiment and look forward to the possibility of visible results within 6 months to 1 year. If you stay the same - no loss, and if you grow more hair then that's especially great!

------------
Regarding shampoos, I find that "thickening" and "volumizing" products tend to provide lift to the hair - which is fine if you have layers. In my thinner spots, I want my hair to lie down and not have a "volumizing" arch at the root, revealing the scalp.

I could never use those sorts of products with a full head of hair b/c they would pump my hair up and let light through all the light blond hair. I won't touch them now that my hair is thinning. I also won't use conditioner or any styling products with a sheen or moisturizing effect. .

My advice is for shampoo is this: expensive, color-safe salon shampoo. I use Joico Color Endure (have for years) and love it. The effect it had on my full head of hair is still desirable on thin hair. But you don't want to use a lot of shampoo, and don't need a rich lather so keep that in mind. I feel that a little goes a long way. I have also had good luck with Biolage Color Care.

bobhairly

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback mike, especially about the thickening shampoos, got the feeling it was for people who had thick black hair, maybe i wont bother and just go for a shampoo which is kind to my hair! anythings got to be better than head and shoulders!

Any ideas where i am on the norwood scale?

Thanks!

SemperFi

Reaction score
Your entire front is thinning so I'd say you're a NW3a with some vertex thinning.

You're washing your hair with shampoo every day? Why do you do that? I don't think that's very good for hair, no matter how mild the shampoo is. It is generelly suggested to wash your hair with shampoo (regardless of hairloss) 2 times a week, so just use nizoral those 2 times/week and that's it...

bobhairly

Reaction score
Hi Semper, thanks for the info!

in this new regime i have started i was shampooing my hair with TWICE a day as im using rogaine foam and heard its best to wash your hair first, maybe i misunderstood wash (with water) with shampoo..

(every third morning i was using nizoral instead of my normal shampoo)

i wasnt sure this was right thing todo

As for shampooing my hair only 2 times a week that surprised me a little!
unsure if thats a good idea with using rogaine foam twice a day, plus i style my hair with a light wax..

is there general consensus on this?

Thank you very much

SemperFi

Reaction score
Shampooing your hair twice a day is definitely too much! You have to be aware that shampoos contain chemicals that act aggresively (just like soap, only milder) in order to clean your hair. With shampooing your hair two times a day, you're (imho) applying way to much chemicals on your head. I suppose it's better with very mild shampoo for babies, but still.

In the warnings/instructions/possible side effects leaflet I got with Nizoral it says it's recommendable to shampoo your hair twice a week. Now, you have to into consideration that nizoral in its origin isn't a hairloss product, but a shampoo that acts against dandruff and is therefore generally used. Therefore you can apply this recommendation as a general thing.

Best of luck with your regime!

bobhairly

Reaction score
Thanks again!

Well im definately going to stop shampooing in the evening, and im going to try just using the nizoral every 3 days and nothing else, besides some conditioner after nizoral and every now and again (read this is ok)

As for the instructions on the nizoral, i took it to be use nizoral every three days, but i assumed it meant use your normal shampoo on the other days, but it doesnt say that so ill stop assuming ;)

Thanks for your feedback, any more is welcome

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I know a lot of people who shower twice a day and their hair has no problem with it.

That definitely has nothing to do with your male pattern baldness.

SemperFi

Reaction score
That's right - only genes have the effect on male pattern baldness, otherwise it wouldn't be male pattern baldness. But that doesn't mean over shampooing is not hurting your hair.

I also knew a guy who smoked 2 packs of cigarettes per day... he died at 90 and he didn't get lung cancer. That doesn't mean I'll have the same result if I follow his lead.

bobhairly

Reaction score
1 month in and now and shedding like crazy, trying to stay positive hoping they will all grow back in 3 months or so stronger

Hair all over my pillow, endless hair on my hands when i touch my hair, very scarey stuff :shakehead:

picture attached, shedding is clearly evident

Attachments

• P1000607.JPG
    P1000607.JPG
    749.3 KB · Views: 202