Body hair for hair transplants?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not at the point where I need a hair transplant yet, but even with finasteride, I realize that one day I will probably need one. I've heard of transplanting body hair to the head, is this something that is frowned upon? I read that one of the biggest issues with this is due to the texture and curl of body hair. Some of my body hair, like on my chest, almost matches my head hair exactly in both regards, as well as color. For someone like me, could mixing grafts of scalp hair from the back and some body hair be realistic, since the two look about the same?

The reason I ask is because my donor area has poor density, although the individual hairs are actually very thick.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a last resort. Body hairs are single hair follicles (very rarely more) while head hairs are quite often doubles, triples, and even occasionally four hairs per follicle. So it's extremely inefficient (trying to get coverage with single hairs). It's also more expensive per graft than head hair. And very few doctors seem to be able to do it well. Dr Woods and Campbell in Australia (they invented it, to my knowledge). Maybe a handful of others, I don't have experience with them though. I only have experience with Woods and Campbell (good, a small amount of grafts and modest improvement) and Dr John Cole (total graft failure, complete waste of money).

If you've never had a transplant, don't need one yet, and still have a donor supply, you don't need to be seriously thinking about transplanting body hair.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a last resort. Body hairs are single hair follicles (very rarely more) while head hairs are quite often doubles, triples, and even occasionally four hairs per follicle. So it's extremely inefficient (trying to get coverage with single hairs). It's also more expensive per graft than head hair. And very few doctors seem to be able to do it well. Dr Woods and Campbell in Australia (they invented it, to my knowledge). Maybe a handful of others, I don't have experience with them though. I only have experience with Woods and Campbell (good, a small amount of grafts and modest improvement) and Dr John Cole (total graft failure, complete waste of money).

If you've never had a transplant, don't need one yet, and still have a donor supply, you don't need to be seriously thinking about transplanting body hair.

I'm not seriously thinking about it at this moment, but judging from my family members and my current state of hair, I'm not going to have great donor hair when the time comes. I was thinking about getting as much as I possibly could from the back, then replacing some of my hairs on the back with body hair and keeping it short so i don't look like a complete idiot.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You might consider having a test patch done so you can see how well it does, that way if it does well you will be confident in the outcome.