bone1999's Story (21, Balding, Pics)

bone1999

Reaction score
Cliffs Notes::
- started losing at 19, did nothing the first year, started looking thin a year later
- tried herbs (saw palmetto, dong quai) for ~ 6 months, no luck
- tried rogaine, gave up after 2.5 months, was scared of the shedding
- tried no shampoo, gave up masturbating, etc.
- two years later, hair looks like crap, see pictures
- starting big three, need advice on finasteride, see 2nd to last paragraph

=============================================================================

Hey all,

So you probably won't like this story. I'm not proud of it either. I've pretty much done it all wrong, and I've suffered from it. But hopefully, with some of your help, I can begin on a more beneficial path and maybe even fix some of the damage already done.

I started noticing hair loss two years ago, when I was 19. It was just a few hairs that would break away onto my hand while shampooing. I searched online and read that it was normal to lose 50-100 hairs/day, and my hair looked great, so I didn't think much of it.

My natural head of hair is very thick, so I didn't notice anything until over a year later. I had continued to lose a few hairs sporadically, and my head was now visibly thinner. I have pictures from this time, but unfortunately they are on my cell phone and my transfer cable is broken. But still, I would say I had a passably "full" head of hair, just a bit of a broken hair line (still in tact, just not as full as normal). I decided to start working towards a repair.

I checked online again and saw a lot of arguing about what to do. Most people thought that under 21 wasn't a good time to start pills, so I tried the natural route with Saw Palmetto and Dong Quai, plus a multi-vitamin which I still use. Two bottles of each, no luck, hair was notably worse. I then tried Rogaine foam, which only seemed to make things worse. I now know there is an initial shed, but at the time, I was in freak out mode and gave up after maybe 2.5 months. I tried all kinds of shampoos, anti-dandruff and all-natural (aloe veras) and the problem just continued. I eventually gave up shampooing (which I searched here just a minute ago, and couldn't believe the arguments...) after I heard that hair was self-cleansing (the scalp sure isn't). Even gave up masturbating for a while (which sucked). I eventually almost gave up faith -- my hair looked terrible and I didn't see any light at the end for me.

Well I'm here to do something. Not ready to give it all up, and if I can manage to keep the little I have remaining, I'll consider that success enough. Of course, I'd love to regrow it all back.

Here is where I'm currently at... several pics: (thumbnails, click to enlarge)

My hair is about 1.25" long on the top in those pics, so that's covering it a bit. I'll be buzzing soon (ugh).

I've done more reading, and I will be starting the big three. Just confused on how exactly to go about it. Nizoral and Rogaine (is there any alternative for minoxidil) are mostly self explanatory, but Finasteride has me confused. I checked http://www.unitedpharamacies.com after seeing it posted here, and there's just so many different kinds... is there any to steer clear of? I'm a college kid so low cost is very important to me. Also, I'm unsure of whether I should try Dutasteride or Finasteride... leaning towards Dutas because of its strength but the review in its forum weren't very favorable...

Sorry for making this so long, but any help or general comments would be appreciated. Even if its just a "you stupid monkey, should have started this years ago!!". I know.

scouse

Reaction score
You shouldnt be stressing that much mate, fom those pics u aint bad at all. I reckon cut it a bit shorter, its a little thin but nothin major at all!

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah your hairloss isnt that bad at all. Id say if your afraid to start rogaine just get on propecia, thats the most important step you can take to maintain and maybe thicken up and regrow for the long term. Also use nizoral once or twice a week. If you want to be real safe, just go to your doctor and ask him to prescribe you propecia, that way you know its real. Otherwise, if your strapped for cash, check out the propecia forum and ask people there which brand they buy online and which one is the real one, you dont want to et stuck with fake sh*t although thats probably unlikely anyway. Im not too sure though, i get mine through a prescription, just research this forum youll find out whats the real brand. But if you get on propecia id say you dont reall have to worry, and if you want to start minoxidil dont worry if you shed after 2 months thats normal as a matter of fact its a sign that it maybe working. Good luck.

G

I wouldn´t call you a "stupid monkey". Those who were telling to wait till you are 21 are stupid monkeys. You can thank them for looking bald now. :firing:

The cheapest way to go:

Finasteride from Fincar (5mg pills, split into 4 or 5 parts)
Kirkland Minoxidil (Generic Rogaine)

EVERYBODY in the western world can afford hairloss treatments!

You might start with Dutas as well, but I would try Fincar first. All that other stuff (herbs, shampoos, no masturbation,....) is totally useless.

Good Luck!

bone1999

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! I know I'm over-stressing things, which can't be good. Just kinda hit me at a rough time (job interviews), and I'm having a real hard time getting my hair line to look decent. Going to have to check out the concealer forum, for sure.

I think finasteride is going to be my first step -- just feel safer with the proven and not too worried about the side effects. I'll likely start rogaine soon after, and Nizoral immediately.

Thanks again guys, I'll update when I see some results :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Its some minor thinning, if your concerned, speak to a derm and maybe get on finasteride to pervent any future loss.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah and you really dont need concealer. Just use a thickening shampoo if your concerned on nizoral off days

RaginDemon

Reaction score
try LoReal XY thickening shampoo, it works pretty well.