Boomer01's Story - (28/pics) *updates*

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! New guy to the forum.

I am 27 and have noticed my hair thinning for the past 3 years. It is mainly on the crown of my head. I have not seen a dermatologist. I have different thickening shampoos, systems, topicals but nothing has really worked to regrow any hair. I used to always use gel or paste to style my hair but I stopped because it would emphasizes the hair loss. I am have been using the Clinicure Cleanse, Nurish, and Treat system (http://www.joico.com/products/Haircare/clinicure) and Kirkland Signiture 5% Minoxidil for close to a year. I stopped using the 3rd step of the Clinicure system because it would cause my scalp to break out and because I was using the minoxidil. I also cut down my minoxidil from twice a day (morning and evening) to once a day (evenings) because it was a mess to style my hair with it in. What are your thoughts? What other steps should I take to regrow some hair? I don't like the idea of having to take pills for the rest of my life and don't really want to explore hair transplants yet.

Almost a year ago:
111109.jpg

3 months:
21110m.jpg

6 months:
051110.jpg

9 months:
081110.jpg

Today (almost a full year):
11110.jpg

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Boomer01's Story - (27/pics)

Well after researching, I decided to contact Dr. Lee. He suggested to use #948 Xandrox 15% Plus at night and #768 Minoxidil 6%-Plus in the mornings. Each has a dose of finasteride so that would replace the need to take pills. I have read some good and bad stories about some of these topicals and so I am going to ease into it by starting with #768 Minoxidil 6%-Plus at night and #500 Minoxidil 5% during the day instead. I am also going to pick up #420 Regrowth Treatment Shampoo which contains 2% Ketoconazole and will use it twice a week.

I will keep everyone updated.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score

I reccomend that you start with finasteride only first and use it for about a year. See if you get any results with that first. Then consider minoxidil.
Toppicals will be messy and make your hair look worse while they are on.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score

I have already been using monoxidil for around 7 months.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score

For nearly 6 months I have switched my routine from just minoxidil once or twice a day to using .5 mL of Dr. Lee's #500 Minoxidil 5% during the day and 1 mL of #768 Minoxidil 6%-Plus at night. I am also started washing my hair with #420 Regrowth Treatment Shampoo twice a week. I still have a little bit of product left but am going to have to figure something else out since Dr. Lee got shut down.

41111.jpg

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair seems to be filling in slowly which is great but I have to stop the Dr. Lees products since he went out of business. I decided to try Revivogen and bought a 6 month supply. It's a DHT Inhibitor like finasteride without the side effects. My new regimen is 0.5-1 ml minoxidil in the mornings and 1 ml Revivogen in the evenings. Here is a starting picture:

51111a.jpg

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Sadly...about the only way you're going to stop the hairloss and get some good regrowth is to start popping a DHT inhibitor pill :-/. What's so bad about taking a pill the rest of your life? You spend more time brushing your teeth each month than you would taking 15seconds a day in a year to pop a pill.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
If things do not work, then I might have to get on it but I'm going to try alternate areas first. Revivogen claims to be a DHT inhibitor like finasteride or dutasteride so maybe it will work without having to worry about the possible side effects. Also, I haven't been to a dermatologist yet but I know you can get finasteride online. I'll just see how this works and go from there.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I equate hairloss to the reverse of weeding your garden. You can go out and spend all day picking weeds, but they're going to come back unless you deal with the root of the problem. Same for hair, you can use all the topicals you want (and they very well may slow down the loss), but if it's DHT that's attacing your follicles from the inside, then they're still going to fall out.

Read a post I made about side effect odds
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65750

Here's my story (been on finasteride for 3 years)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65594

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Boomer01's Story - (29/pics) *updates*

Well, I finally gave in. I went to see a dermatologist last week and got a prescription for finasteride. I am taking 1.25mg of Proscar everyday and haven't felt any side effects yet (it's only been 3 days though).

I am now washing my hair with Regenepure NT 5 days a week and #420 Regrowth Treatment Shampoo (2% Keto) twice a week. I use Minoxidilmax 5% Fast Dry Minoxidil (0.5 mL - 1 mL) in the morning and Minoxidilmax DualGen-15 in the evening.

Here is my baseline picture:

121111startedproscar.jpg

sylent

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like toppik would do wonders for you, until your hair gets thicker on finasteride. However, I think it might be too late to completley get everything in your crown area back, but I'm pretty sure you will be able to maintain the hair you have not for the rest of your life. That would certainly be an accomplishment.