Boots Womens Hair Loss Spray-Ingredients. CCS opinion?

hoople

Reaction score
I'm keen to hear your opinions on this new treatment and the effectiveness of the ingredients, or whether you think it may be snakeoil. I have some bottles, here are what I think are the ingredients (it appears that the coffee seed is the only therapeutic ingredient?):

Aqua, alcohol denat, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, PPG-1-PEG-9 lauryl glycol ether, sodium ascorby phosphate, phenoxyethanol, Madecassoside, sodium benzoate, coffee (arabica) seed extract, sodium methylparaben, glycerine, citric acid, sorbitol, parfum, benzophenone-4, dipropylene glycol, panthenol, asiaticoside, rosmarinus officinalis extract, limonene, linalool, methyparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propyparaben, isobutylparaben.

CCS

Reaction score
It has rosemary extract, which may be an anti-oxidant. Caffine, which maybe be a stimulant, and it has some vitamin C. It may be slightly helpful, but definitely not going to save your hair.

It also has propylene glycol in it, so if you are not irritated by that, just get minoxidil instead.

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on the results the people who developed this have noted, I believe that this spray will become a cornerstone of alopecia treatment.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Spectral.RS, but with less potentially useful stuff. What's the active ingredient, caffeine?

vq0

Established Member
Reaction score
the active ingredient is the green coffee bean. Found this info on google. Please confirm. Selling on ebay for 24lbs. I want to get some bad but its only in uk.

Eureka! Father and son make hair grow with magic beans!

FOR years they were on the fringe of science. But now a Scottish father and son's obsession with the health-giving properties of green coffee beans is set to help women suffering the misery of hair loss - and earn them a multi-million-pound fortune.

Scientists Bill and Iain Forbes have been carrying out experiments on raw coffee beans after discovering they had properties which could stop women's hair from thinning, a problem which affects 50% of women by the time they are 50.

Now after signing a `six-figure’contract with the major high street chemist Boots, the duo's product is expected to become a major seller when it hits the shelves next month.

Last week, Boots unveiled its Expert Hair Loss Treatment Spray for Women, which is said to improve the thickness of each individual hair and has been shown in trials to significantly increase hair growth.

But Scotland on Sunday can reveal the product was originally developed by the Edinburgh family.

Iain Forbes, a 45-year-old scientist with degrees in genetics and pharmacy, has worked in partnership with his father, a former heart surgeon, since 1995, helped occasionally by his mother Mima, who makes the tea and does the books.

Despite the fact neither of them suffers from baldness, their firm, Calscience International, has carried out countless experiments on green coffee beans, breaking several coffee grinders in the process, investigating its hair restoring properties.

While green tea is a renowned antioxidant, green coffee, the beans in their raw form, is twice as powerful, and over the years the Forbes realised it could stop hair thinning.

Although hair loss in men is common, around 50% of women also suffer some form of thinning as they age, often caused by hormones, stress or illness.

When colleagues in the scientific community mentioned their findings to senior researchers at Boots, they were invited to show the company their results.

After seven years of trials, the product will go on sale next month, and Calscience, which last year had assets worth just £16,000 has netted a lucrative contract from Boots plus royalties.

Iain Forbes said: "This will change our company's position tremendously. We had been working on a shoestring budget because clearly research is expensive. Now hopefully this will change. It's a tremendous boost and it will raise our profile."

He added that he enjoyed working with his father: "We come from quite different aspects of science and we have different thought processes, which means we are able to spark ideas off each other. It has taken a long time to develop this product but we have to get these things right."

Applied to the roots of damp hair twice daily, Boots claims the results of applying the treatment should be seen after three months. Trials of the product at Glasgow University found 80% of women reported a significant improvement.

Although it is not yet clear exactly how the green coffee prevents baldness, it is known that hair loss in women is usually down to stress and hormonal change and properties in the beans soothe and calm inflammation. The spray also contains antioxidants and centella asiatica, a medicinal plant also known as Indian pennywort, which is also used in scar reduction.

Bill Forbes left a career as a cardiac surgeon in the 1980s in order to carry out his scientific research and his son decided to join him after spending 15 years studying science at university.

Although father and son and oldest brother Euan are scientists, Iain's younger brother David is a DJ on Saga radio.

Their laboratory, is based at King's Buildings close to Edinburgh University. The company is so small it cannot carry out trials itself and must contract out much of its work to bioscience companies and universities.

Although they have been concentrating on products for the hair care market they are also interested in developing new skincare products using natural ingredients, although they refused to disclose details.

Until now they have relied on small government grants to sustain their work

lordhair

Established Member
Reaction score
The comparison with green tea is very interesting

But their still not aiming in at men which might be significant

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
hairsucks said:
Trials of the product at Glasgow University found 80% of women reported a significant improvement.

Interesting.
I bet that if our hair loss is due to stress, bad diet-- things like that then this would help. Just like the essential oil mix of sage/thyme/lavendar/rosemary oils. I love these articles in which nothing is stated about what type of hair loss these people have. I guess they couldn't sell as much if they did. :roll:

hoople

Reaction score
I emailed Boots and asked a few more questions as there isn't much info on the product packet, and no info leaflet inside. This is the reply I got:
The Boots Expert Hair Loss Treatment Spray for Women is especially for women who find themselves suffering with hair loss or thinning hair. It is not designed for people who are experiencing hair loss as a result of medical treatment, such as chemotherapy.

The product is not classed as a medical device like some other products and is not as harsh as products like Regaine. It relies on natural ingredients for its formulation, which has been patented. One of the key ingredients are green coffee beans which after 6 years of researching Boots have found to positively affect the quality of people's hair. This was found through carrying out numerous studies, one of which was for 12 months whereby volunteers' hair regrowth was carefully measured and 80% of people showed a significant growth compared to those who had not used the product.

Due to the nature of hair growth, it is expected that significant results will be seen after 3months. There have been no reports of hair shedding, its simply affects the hair follicle to improve the condition of the hair.

holly

Reaction score
I really hope that stores in the U.S. will start carrying this product. I think it might help suffers of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Here's a study of the positive effects of caffeine on Androgenetic Alopecia.

Caffeine Counteracts the Growth Inhibitory
Effect of Testosterone in Ex Vivo Human
Hair Follicles from Male Patients with Androgenetic Alopecia
T.W. Fischer1,2, U.C. Hipler1, P. Elsner1
1Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich-
Schiller-University, Jena, 2Department of Dermatology and
Venerology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein,
University of Lübeck, Lübeck, Germany
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a common problem in men of all
ages, starting at the age of 20 and affecting about 50% at the age of
50. The underlying cause is an androgen-dependent miniaturization of
genetically predetermined hair follicles, modulated by dihydrotestosterone
(DHT) and the expression of androgen receptor (AR). Here, we
used ex vivo hair follicles from balding areas of men with Androgenetic Alopecia and
cultivated them in vitro to investigate the effects of testosterone and
caffeine, the latter being a promising candidate for hair growth stimulation.
Hair follicles from 14 biopsies, taken from the vertex areas
from male Androgenetic Alopecia patients, were cultivated for 120–192 h in the presence
of normal William’s E medium (control) or William’s E medium
containing different concentrations of testosterone and/or caffeine.
The outcome parameters were hair shaft elongation and keratinocyte
proliferation assessed by Ki-67 staining of longitudinal hair follicle
cryosections. Testosterone which is metabolized by intrafollicular
5- -reductase to DHT lead to significant growth suppression at
the concentration of 5
g/ml. This suppression was neutralized by
caffeine in concentrations of 0.001 and 0.005%. Moreover, caffeine
alone lead to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth compared
to normal medium. The results were confirmed by proliferation
assessment with Ki-67 staining. Androgen-dependent growth inhibition
of ex vivo hair follicles from patients suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia was
present in the human hair organ culture model. This model imitates
the clinical situation of Androgenetic Alopecia in vitro and may serve for future studies
to screen new substances against androgen-dependent hair loss.
Caffeine counteracted the inhibitory effect of testosterone and was
identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro, a fact which
may have important impact on clinical management of Androgenetic Alopecia.

hoople

Reaction score
The Boots product is for sale on Ebay, but the sellers have whacked nearly an extra £10 onto the price, making it a hefty £25 and then a few quid for shipping too. I don't know if Boots ship overseas.
The retail price isn't expensive when compared to the vast majority of hairloss products on the internet, its comparatively cheap in fact.

hoople

Reaction score
I'll post my first update anyway. I've been using the spray 1x daily for approx a week now, no decrease or increase in shedding. Spray smells ok and texture of hair afterwards is ok, so its certainly user-friendly (although we know thats not the point).

hoople

Reaction score
This is what an expert from the baldingblog has to say:

While interesting, I really don’t know the value of green tea or green coffee beans, so it is difficult to comment. While both the green tea and coffee claim antioxidant properties, that should not produce hair growth. Claims are easy to make for herbal remedies, as the standards are not stringent for such claims. It just goes to show that there is a huge consumer demand for hair loss treatment products and it continues to be a buyer beware market. I doubt that the use of green coffee will do any good or produce any harm. If I see evidence to the contrary, I’ll reserve the right to change my opinion. In the meantime though, regardless of how much the contract they signed with Boots (a large pharmacy chain in the UK) was, it appears to be just more hype.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I bought three month supply of this direct from boots.com and paid via paypal.
I decided to give it a try as I cannot tolerate rogaine, I think I am allergic to it.

I started to use this last night on my thinning swirl and the first impression is that it smells of....well....coffee, its in a cheap and cheerful pump spray bottle with low budget labels.

I will let you know how I get on and if I experience any shedding etc. :freaked:

hoople

Reaction score
How are you finding the spray, Lucky?
I'm coming up to a month now and i've no decrease in shedding. I've not even looked for regrowth as I doubt thats possible so early on if at all..