BornIn89's Story - (Need a plan!)

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm against ever taking finasteride. So I need help setting up a regimen without it. I have loss at the hairline, I'm about a norwood 2 I think. But I have diffuse thinning too, which seems to be happening much faster than my hairline is receding. Here's some pics.

18 months ago
i5ulxt.jpg

You can see my temples have receded a bit there, I was 19 at the time.

2 or 3 months ago, wet hair.
2u4ln4y.jpg

I don't like this photo...

Today
2yugf2t.jpg

zo8wp.jpg

So has anyone got any recommendations of treatments I should try? I did try minoxidil for 1 month and it made my head itch like mad, if you think it will help I will try it again and put up with the itchiness. I also use nizoral 1% every few days. How long do you guys think it'll be until I'm completely bald on top? I feel I've lost about 50% of the density...

Boondock

Reaction score
Re: BornIn89's Story - Need a plan!

If you're not doing finasteride then your best bet is going to be topical antiandrogens. There are quite a few of these: spironolactone, eucapil, RU58841, flutamide, Retin-A, proxiphen, etc.

Obviously chucking nizoral into the mix won't do any harm, as you seem to be doing already.

You will need to do a lot of research to see which topicals are for you and are within your budget. There may be a bit of trial and error, but often people can at least stabilize on a good topical regimen. Generally they're more expensive than finasteride, though, and a bit more annoying.

minoxidil is pretty pointless IMO, so it doesn't matter too much you're off it.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Does anyone know the best place to buy spironolactone? I'm in the UK.

Boondock

Reaction score

You won't be able to get it from the UK so your best bet is to get it sent over.

Either Dr. Lee, or our very own HairLossTalk should be able to supply you.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't make up my mind on which to go with. I thought topical spironolactone was safe but I've read about guys getting gyno from it...

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Try not to read too much about side effects or you will never start any meds and will end up losing all your hair.

yes spironolactone is safe and so is propecia its also your best bet for keeping your hair.

I understand your concerns but dont believe everything you read on the internet.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride is the only real cure, if you're not willing to take finasteride or minoxidil i can't say there's much hope for you. it's a shame too since you have diffuse hair loss which usually responds best to finasteride.

HeHateMe23

Reaction score
The guys suggesting finasteride are right bro.

My hair looked like yours when I had it that short.

I've been on finasteride for two months and I've already experienced thickening, you should check out my thread.

Cassidy

Reaction score
Yeah get on finasteride but people who say minoxidil doesn't work are wrong.

Just because it doesn't work for some people doesn't mean it's pointless.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I know finasteride is the best thing I could use but I'm scared of it and I've told myself I'll never use it and I'm sticking to that. I've started minoxidil 2x a day, I get a pain in my chest, left leg and right arm for a while after applying and my heart rate increases. Don't remember this happening last time but I was only using it 1x a day then.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Just over a month on minoxidil and 1 week on 2% spironolactone.

11thjuly.jpg

Hair is looking worse than ever. Hopefully the hair minoxidil has shed will come back soon...

cuebald

Reaction score
Sorry mate, no finasteride (or other 5ar inhibitors), no hair ! (I am pretty much going to put that in my sig now)

I suggest that you buy a nice hat !

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
Sorry mate, no finasteride (or other 5ar inhibitors), no hair ! (I am pretty much going to put that in my sig now)

I suggest that you buy a nice hat !

I know but I thought I might as well give it a shot :(

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
I know finasteride is the best thing I could use but I'm scared of it and I've told myself I'll never use it and I'm sticking to that.
Well then you should just buzz it now and get on with your life..

Nene

Reaction score
zeroheat said:
BornIn89 said:
I know finasteride is the best thing I could use but I'm scared of it and I've told myself I'll never use it and I'm sticking to that.

I agree with cuebald and zerheat, you should at least try it. minoxidil is only going to help you so much and for a 21 year old your hair loss looks aggressive. W/O finasteride you'll be norwood 5 or 6 by 30.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
zeroheat said:
BornIn89 said:

I agree with cuebald and zerheat, you should at least try it. minoxidil is only going to help you so much and for a 21 year old your hair loss looks aggressive. W/O finasteride you'll be norwood 5 or 6 by 30.

That's why I added spironolactone and I'm thinking about revivogen too... I would say I'll be NW5 way before 30 to be honest, I have thinning in that whole area.

cuebald

Reaction score
hm, at least this will be a good opportunity to see how well Topical Spironolactone works.
Would you say that the Spironolactone has reduced shedding in the past week?

About a year ago, I was crazy enough to go on 200mg oral spironolactone; in the first month I shedded like crazy, and then after that it felt like I barely shed at all - I mean I'd count 5 hairs a day as opposed to 50. I had to go off of it orally because it did give me side effects.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
hm, at least this will be a good opportunity to see how well Topical Spironolactone works.
Would you say that the Spironolactone has reduced shedding in the past week?

About a year ago, I was crazy enough to go on 200mg oral spironolactone; in the first month I shedded like crazy, and then after that it felt like I barely shed at all - I mean I'd count 5 hairs a day as opposed to 50. I had to go off of it orally because it did give me side effects.

My hair is so short I don't see any falling out anyway so I can't tell. It does seem to be making my dandruff a hell of a lot worse though! Unless it's the minoxidil doing that..