Bowser's story

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am 31 from the UK.

I 1st noticed by hair thinning about the age of 24. I thought nothing of it as first but it got to the point of not wanting to look into the mirror it was getting that bad! My temples have receeded a lot now and a lot od scalp is showing in the frontal area.
I decided to try Rogaine in 2007 - I had a bad shed from this for about 6 months (diffuse thinning all over) but I rode it out and uptil 2 years I was quite impressed with the results - I grew hair all over, even in the front and temples. Thats when things went downhill - im not sure if i got lazy applying it, or my male pattern baldness genes took over but I have been losing hair slowly ever since.

I have tried to change things since - 1 year ago I added nizoral and Finpecia to my routine. I also started to apply minoxidil 15% at night and 5% in the mornings after speaking to a hair clinic. To be honest Im not sure these additions have made that much difference. In the last year my hair line has eaten away - I am honestly thinking to ditching the 15% as the gloopy residue it leaves may be preventing the rogaine from absorbing properly?? Im not sure what other people think about this?

Ive switched generic finasteride from finpecia to finax recently and will give it another year before I seriously think about a hair transplant. I sent pics of my hair to the most well known hair transplant clinic in UK and they suggested I delay a hair transplant for a bit and give the finasteride more time.

I seriously think my hair is heavily dependant on the minoxidil now as if I ever have upto7 days without applying it (say on holiday etc), my hair grows out quickly nice and thick (often giving me a false impression), but over a period of a month as I started to apply the minoxidil as normal I realise that the hairs are quickly shed and I feel as though I thin out a bit more than baseline.

I hope people would read this and perhaps offer any advice.
Thanks.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am 31 from the UK.

I 1st noticed by hair thinning about the age of 24. I thought nothing of it as first but it got to the point of not wanting to look into the mirror it was getting that bad! My temples have receeded a lot now and a lot od scalp is showing in the frontal area.
I decided to try Rogaine in 2007 - I had a bad shed from this for about 6 months (diffuse thinning all over) but I rode it out and uptil 2 years I was quite impressed with the results - I grew hair all over, even in the front and temples. Thats when things went downhill - im not sure if i got lazy applying it, or my male pattern baldness genes took over but I have been losing hair slowly ever since.

I have tried to change things since - 1 year ago I added nizoral and Finpecia to my routine. I also started to apply minoxidil 15% at night and 5% in the mornings after speaking to a hair clinic. To be honest Im not sure these additions have made that much difference. In the last year my hair line has eaten away - I am honestly thinking to ditching the 15% as the gloopy residue it leaves may be preventing the rogaine from absorbing properly?? Im not sure what other people think about this?

Ive switched generic finasteride from finpecia to finax recently and will give it another year before I seriously think about a hair transplant. I sent pics of my hair to the most well known hair transplant clinic in UK and they suggested I delay a hair transplant for a bit and give the finasteride more time.

I seriously think my hair is heavily dependant on the minoxidil now as if I ever have upto7 days without applying it (say on holiday etc), my hair grows out quickly nice and thick (often giving me a false impression), but over a period of a month as I started to apply the minoxidil as normal I realise that the hairs are quickly shed and I feel as though I thin out a bit more than baseline.

I hope people would read this and perhaps offer any advice.
Thanks.

If you do such a long pauses between applications of minoxidil, then your cure is doomed to fail. Minoxidil doesn't forgive you your lack of discipline. I have been on minoxidil for nearly 16 years, but I have never done longer pauses than 2 days.