BPM's Story (Age 22/ Norwood 2)

bpm

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum almost every day for about a year now and finally decided to tell my story. It is nothing new or unusual, but I have found so much great information here that I feel selfish just reading and not participating... so here it goes.

I first started to notice that I was shedding a lot of hair when I was about 20 years old. I knew absolutely nothing about male pattern baldness and just assumed it was normal. Flash forward one year..... I moved out my dorm with communal showers and into an apartment with my own bathroom. I soon realized that I had to clean out the drain in my shower after each use which led me to suspect that something wasn't quite right. Finally, I decided to pull back my bangs and check out my hair a little more closely when I realized that I had a receding hairline. Like most young people here, I was in denial for a few months and tried to blame it on anything other than the truth...... I was going bald.

After reading about the issue on forums like this, I started to realize that my only hope was to get on some kind of meds. I tried saw palmetto for about a week, but then realized that it was probably a waste of time and I needed to tackle the problem head on. In the middle of September 2008 I finally got a script for propecia and started taking 1mg every day. It was great for about a week since my sex drive was off the charts, but that ended very quickly. Shortly after starting propecia, I was hooking up with my girlfriend and realized that my penis was useless. I got really freaked out and stopped taking it immediately. My erections came back about 3 days later, but I seriously doubted that I would get back on the drug again. After doing some more research I realized that a lot of people have had success with lower doses and managed to avoid the sexual side effects. So in early August I started taking .25 mg every day. I did this for about a month with no issues, so I bumped it up to .5 mg every day. I have a lower sex drive at this dosage (my girlfriend can even attest to that), but I am still about to perform at about 85%.

I stayed at the .5 mg dosage for about 8 months and I have seen a drastic reduction in the amount of hair falling out and also managed to grow back a decent amount of hair on my temples(Norwood 2.5 - NW2). While things have been going pretty well with .5 mg ED I have recently decided to change this to .5 mg EOD. I made this decision based on the graphs showing how finasteride can depress DHT levels for about a week, but also because my girlfriend always says that I don't like having sex anymore. After taking .5 mg EOD for about a month now I can say that my sex drive is rising and I have yet to see any detrimental effects to my hair. I am hoping that I can keep this up and all will be well.

As for now, I am just hoping to maintain with finasteride, but I have been considering getting on kirkland minoxidil in a few months (I wanted to give finasteride atleast a year before adding something else). My hair does not look bad, but I have gotten several comments from my friends about it and I am hoping this might give me a little more regrowth.

I didn't take any pictures before starting propecia because I didn't have a camera and honestly did not expect to see any improvement. However, I recently got a camera and decided to take some pics for comparison in the future. I realize my hair isn't terrible, but I just want to make sure I can keep it this way for a while. The lines on my head are where I have some very small hairs coming in since starting propecia and what I believe to be my juvenile hairline. Hopefully I can use them as a reference for any future regrowth I might get if I start minoxidil. (Pics are in the next post because I am having trouble figuring out how to do this)

Sorry for the novel, but thanks for reading.

bpm

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my hair after about 10 months on .5 mg of propecia. My hair is really thick all over except right around the hairline. The tiny hairs on my hairline in the pics of my hair when it is dry are mostly new hairs from propecia, but the areas right behind that in the temples are also much thicker than before starting on meds. The orange lines are where I can see small vellus hairs coming in since starting propecia, but I dont expect them to become cosmetically signifigant unless I add something else

Attachments

• HairLossTalk.com 049.jpg
    HairLossTalk.com 049.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 334
  • HairLossTalk.com 053.jpg
    HairLossTalk.com 053.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 364
  • HairLossTalk.com 036.jpg
    HairLossTalk.com 036.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 344
  • HairLossTalk.com 011.jpg
    HairLossTalk.com 011.jpg