Brad's Story - (22 / with pics!)

db_lude

Reaction score
Hey guys, over the last year or so I have noticed the top of my hair thinning a lot and now it seems like i'm losing hair there. My scalp is always itchy and I get quite a bit of dandruff. My hair gets really oily and smelly the days i don't use shampoo. I took accutane about 5 years ago to get rid of my acne and i believe this is why I'm losing hair. My dad is 50 years old and still has quite a bit of hair. This is stressing me out a lot and it's all that's on my mind. When i shower, about 20-30 hairs come out. When i comb my hair another 20 or so come out. I just switched to selsun blue shampoo to control the dandruff and itching but it doesn't seem to be helping much. The rest of the hair on my head seems ok but just the top is worrying me. I haven't tried anything yet for the hair loss and am waiting for an appointment with my doctor. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
30mxw84.jpg

30msoky.jpg

2r38e1x.jpg

2ps0zud.jpg

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Accutane-induced hair loss is more patchy in nature and affects the entire scalp, and typically only occurs while the person is actually taking the medication (not years later). You simply have male pattern baldness.

Nene

Reaction score
db_lude said:
Hey guys, over the last year or so I have noticed the top of my hair thinning a lot and now it seems like i'm losing hair there. My scalp is always itchy and I get quite a bit of dandruff. My hair gets really oily and smelly the days i don't use shampoo. I took accutane about 5 years ago to get rid of my acne and i believe this is why I'm losing hair. My dad is 50 years old and still has quite a bit of hair. This is stressing me out a lot and it's all that's on my mind. When i shower, about 20-30 hairs come out. When i comb my hair another 20 or so come out. I just switched to selsun blue shampoo to control the dandruff and itching but it doesn't seem to be helping much. The rest of the hair on my head seems ok but just the top is worrying me. I haven't tried anything yet for the hair loss and am waiting for an appointment with my doctor. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
30mxw84.jpg

30msoky.jpg

2r38e1x.jpg

2ps0zud.jpg

I think that accutane can get the male pattern baldness gene activated earlier but this is just my suspicion. I wish we had a study on it.

Nene

Reaction score
db_lude said:
/quote]

I think that accutane can get the male pattern baldness gene activated earlier but this is just my suspicion. I wish we had a study on it.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
I also agree. I tried accutane and started thinning while on it and my thinning looked pretty much identical to his.