BrixMI6's Story - (10 Year Propecia User - Quit Jan 2010)

BrixMI6

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I quit using Propecia cold turkey in Jan 2010 after using it for 10 years. I took pictures of what my hair looked like back in Jan right when I quit for reference, which are posted in the url below along with my original story -

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57116&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Below are my updated pics approx 9 months after stopping Propecia cold turkey. I didn't notice much of a shed until around early summer 2010 when I started to notice more hairs on my pillow when I woke up in the morning and also noticed more hair in my hands in the shower. I wouldn't say I am shedding excessively and probably do not lose more than 100 hairs a day by my estimation. Most of the hairs I have lost have been thick long hairs which I am thinking are "Propecia kept" hairs.

One thing to note: I started using Proxiphen Rx and Nano Shampoo religiously since mid March.

It seems that in recent days and weeks my shedding has decreased some (Proxiphen /Nano Maybe??).
Though I can definitely tell my hair has thinned out, at 9 months my hair does not look that bad comparitively speaking of course.

I guess my question is how much worse can it get? They say you lose all the hair you gained with Propecia within 12 months. Well I am at the 9 month mark.

Is it possible that Proxiphen/Nano is helping decelerate the hairloss after using the products for 6 months?

Would anyone recommend adding any other topicals to my regiment such as spironolactone?

Anyone have similar experience to mine? (i.e. Quitting Propecia after many years)

Any insight/advice welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Brix

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 442
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,006
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 439

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Re: 10 Year Propecia User - Quit Jan 2010

I think your hair looks better now than it did in Jan when you quit Propecia. I think Proxiphen and Nano are working good for you so far. I use Proxiphen and Nano too but I also use 5% minoxidil liquid too once daily along with Propecia. I would like to stop the Propecia like you did but I am too worried that things can get worse and I don't want to gamble on my hair. Dr Proctor feels it is possible to slow down hair loss with Proxiphen and Nano alone so you might be fortunate to experience that.
With Propecia out of your system did you notice any improvements in the way you feel. Did you have any side effects on Propecia that are gone now?

BrixMI6

Reaction score
Re: 10 Year Propecia User - Quit Jan 2010

DoctorHouse,

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the side effects - the physical/sexual sides have pretty much gone. The main side that made me quit was testicular pain (prostatitis). I also notice I have dreams now when before I didnt. I am noticing other physical changes too such as more facial hair. I think quitting was a great decision for me personally. I just hope I can keep my hair.

-B

BrixMI6

Reaction score
So anyone add Sprio to Proxiphen Rx with much success or is that overkill since Proxiphen Rx contains some spironolactone already? Im looking to keep the hair I have/slow down the balding progress...

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's worth reevaluating RU. A lot more people on here are using it now and the results appear to be as good as finasteride.
There's a lot more information on this board about it now than there was back in January.
Here's the main thread about it : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54597

It might also be worth looking at Fluridil. It's not quite as potent as finasteride, but it works in a similar manner. It's also a registered cosmetic in Europe so health worries are minimal. You can get it from here : http://www.eucapil.com/index.shtml

Petchsky

Reaction score
Any updates Brix?

Nevis

Reaction score
Definitely would be interested in updates here. Sorry to bump the thread, but I think 10+ years on finasteride worth of experience is a very interesting topic.

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. I read your original story. What about the prostatitis and the other sides that you talked about? Did they go away? I'd be very glad if you share your experiences after quitting finasteride after 10 years of use.