brooklynaf's story - (21, losing hair from high medication)

brooklynaf

Reaction score
I am 21 years old. Senior year of high school I was diagnosed with Lupus. It's an auto immune disorder and I have to take a lot of medication for my body to remain normal and not go into liver and/or kidney failure. The medication is strong and one of the side effects is hair lose. I'm not sure about the stages of hair lose or the different causes, just that I have it and have to learn to deal with it.

I suppose the reason of my post is to ask a few questions:

Has anyone else here ever had to deal with anything like my story?

Does anyone know how to gain confidence about this? I feel like people stare at me often because of my thinning hair. I don't tell people about my battle with Lupus and even my friends and family don't know. I don't want people to think I am just making excuses for being tired or losing hair. I don't want peple to assume I can't do things I know I can.

Am I just being a baby? I feel like my youth-hood is being ripped from me. Not only am I often too tired to do many things a 21 year old usually does, but I feel like I can't be myself when I do because of the baldness.

I try to tell myself "bald is beautiful" and things like that but nothing takes the place of running my fingers through my long hair... and now I have to think, "this will all be gone soon."

Any help guys?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Re: 21 and losing hair from high medication

I would tell people, after all its not your fault. Trying to deal with this without any support is pretty tough.

bubka

Reaction score

Tell them, "hey, I have lupus." I am sure people will be pretty understanding with the given medical condition.

brooklynaf

Reaction score

yeah, i guess i should just make the people feel bad for pointing it out but im not that kind of a person. i just take it in stride but it still hurts.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

bubka said:
How are you 21 and in high school?

brooklynaf said:
I am 21 years old. Senior year of high school I was diagnosed with Lupus.

To the OP: You should just tell people... i think it will make it a lot easier in the long run.

brooklynaf

Reaction score

philly said:
If one loses hair due to cancer or any other serious disease, one should look into a hair system.

yeah and then i read all the things about being too young to get a hair transplant or other procedures. i do want to tell people but i really feel like people will think of it as an excuse. and how do you work that into a conversation?

i think the next time someone brings up my hair loss, im just going to toss it in their face and make them feel awful. kinda like the way i feel.