BRoy's Story

BRoyJenkins

Reaction score
At age 16, my hair began receding at the temples. It prompted me to change my hair style from this (I'm the one on the left)

to this

n835345520_1477768_8171.jpg

in order to hide the recession. And it worked for a good few years; I would moan at people about how I was losing my hair, and they would berate me for being foolish.

How things have changed. I'm 21 now, and the recession has gotten to be a real problem. Last night, a friend told me I was losing my hair faster than my already heavily balding cousin. This upset me in several ways, not least because years of gentle, laddish rivalry means I like to feel superior to my cousin whenever I can. But the most upsetting thing was, up until now, I had no idea people actually noticed that I was losing my hair. It always felt like I was going mad - I could see it was getting worse, but whenever I brought it up around people they'd brush it off as though I was some rambling lunatic.

Today feels like a turning point. I woke up, feeling like my life was pointless and completely devoid of merit. What's the point of life, after all, if I'm going bald aged 21, old before my time in a world where youth means absolutely everything? I've never been a bad-looking guy, and talking to girls with the end goal of getting with them is one of my favourite things, but what interest would they have in me now, at a stage where my hair loss is noticeable? All bald men are ugly and can't possibly get any female attention (I know this isn't actually true, if you're bald and reading this - I even happen to have something of a man crush on Jason Statham, who's done pretty well with women in his lifetime).

I decided this was the beginning of the end of my life, and I committed to the idea of self-starvation, the way out of Bobby Sands and a noble and poignant form of death. In what will go down as one of history's most pathetic suicide attempts, I lasted for 12 hours, consuming nothing but water, when my sister, worried at the mad thousand-yard stare I'd developed, bought me a sandwich. I couldn't bare to see her money go to waste, so I ate it and I'm as close to death now as I ever have been after a meal.

The psychological route of the problem is probably much deeper than the hair loss, but going into it would be a Freudian minefield. I suppose I'm posting about this as a cry for help because I obviously don't want to die, not really. I think I want someone to convince me it'll be all right, or just to hear a voice of reason from someone going through what I'm going through at such a young age. I'm not surrounded by any like-minded people, but by those who have the same mentality as most: that hair loss is a trivial and insignificant factor of life. I'm just finding it hard to cope with the agony of living it anymore and I needed to get it off my chest.

kabooski

Reaction score
Hey man cheer up, while it is quite devastating to lose something you had so long and always use to seeing (such as hair) In reality it is nothing more than a cosmetic loss. Think of all those guys your same age coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan losing arms and legs and worse, such as losing there "man hood" that was blown off along with their limbs. Be grateful for everything you have.

BRoyJenkins

Reaction score
Here's the thing: I really really want to just shave my head and be done with all the worry and having to hide bare bits of scalp, but I'm worried about how it'll affect my appearance. My confidence right now is awful; I feel like I'll never be able to approach another woman again. I'm of the mindset that I could grow my hair long again and just cover it up but I'm sick of hiding my receding hairline.

I'm also thinking I might be slightly paranoid, whether I'm seeing this thing worse than it really is, which I have done in the past. So I'll let you be the judge. Here I am at 18:

n711025144_3630171_4423.jpg

and I've attached a picture of how I am now, aged nearly 22:

[attachment=0:1py86pup]242306_10150205239606832_510196831_6916760_6490600_o.jpg[/attachment:1py86pup]

Seeing that picture for the first time was a particular "aw shiiiitt!" moment. What is the likelihood that hair treatments will put a stop to my hair loss or even regrow hairs I've lost, and am I a bit too late to even start a regimen? Are they worth the possible side effects (shedding is what worries me the most as I don't understand why a hair restoration product would even do this to you) and/or the cost? OR should I just shave my head completely and be gone forever with the worry of losing my hair?

Attachments

• 242306_10150205239606832_510196831_6916760_6490600_o.jpg
    242306_10150205239606832_510196831_6916760_6490600_o.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 239

Winter

Reaction score
First of all, you're not going to kill yourself over hair-loss that's just fcking stupid dude, think of all the people who gets diagnosed with cancer in their twenties and still do everything they can to survive, and then u go and kill yourself over a receding hairline?

However, post a better picture, a closer one, pulling your hair back so we can actually see the recession you're talking about. And yes, if you get on finasteride and minoxidil right away you have a good chance of both stopping and regrowing your hair. For some people finasteride and minoxidil keeps working even after 10 years of usage, but even if they work say 5 years for you, its still worth it! It's better to go bald at 27 than 22, right ; ) ?

BRoyJenkins

Reaction score
Absolutely right. I've looked at a lot of other posts on here from people who take hair treatments, though, and quite a few appear to have an adverse reaction in the form of the 'shedding' I keep hearing about. That part really shits me up, so can anyone give me any advice on what sort of regimen is best to take that will halt the hair loss (or encourage regrowth) without possibly ridding even more of my precious hair? I'm sure I'd be much more confident shaving my head later on in my 20s rather than at my current age, seeing as I'm still a relative nipper.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro stop worrying. I have a couple buds have have the same hairloss as you and they are raking in the chicks. Act like your cool w/ it. Trust me it helps. In your case confidance will help u get chicks as you hasve plenty to work with. Your also a pretty big guy which a lot of chicks dig!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
A shed is usually a sign that the medication is working. You'll shed it out and it will grow back in stronger. I shed pretty badly when I started finasteride and Rogaine, and I nearly stopped...but decided to tough it out. I'm glad that I did.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
you've got pretty slow hairloss man. nizoral and finasteride will almost definitely halt that and maybe even fill the hairline in a little. minoxidil on top of that could work wonders. don't sweat it bro.

edit: and also, the shedding happens as a result of... well, sh*t, i don't know really. it's like all of the dying follicles coming to the end of a cycle all at once. this seems scary but what it actually means is that the treatments are working their magic on your follicles. i got a shed about 4 months into finasteride, lasted about a month. it was scary to see how much hair was coming outta my head but my hair still looked better than it did at baseline. significantly better.