brushing hair, good or bad?

penguin74

Reaction score
Hmm...i just read the topic on needling, with erasers and needles yanked into them in order to slightly bruise the scalp and promote absorption of meds with hopes of faster and better growth.... yikes!
I can see the logic behind it, but then again, wouldn't one achieve similar results by gently brushing the scalp with a good quality boar bristle brush? Perhaps 40 or so strokes with a bit of pressure, brushing forward from the back of the crown, before the shower and then apply the regimen du jour?

As for brushing in general what is the opinion of balding mortals on this practice. On the one hand, I've read it's highly recommended in order to increase circulation, get rid of dry skin and dirt that may clog follicles, thus helping with the regrowth process. Every once in a while, I come across that states the opposite, ie: brushing will damage the hair follicle, etc.
Generally speaking, I think there is a lot of confusion in regards to all the remedies discussed regarding hair loss. Seems like for every positive comment about product X, there are the negatives one that completely polarize the whole thing, leaving us wondering wtf...

So, regular brushing with a good boar bristle brush before applying topicals, yay or nay?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I lost the full head of hair i had by brushing it, it didnt just fall out.
keeping in mind my hair was nearly 2 foot long and got tangled very easily as you can imagine.... but still, from my personal experience, avoid it as much as you can. I used to over brush my hair and just rip the hair out of my head...
Also, my last hairdresser didnt recommend it, said always use ur hand as a comb.