Bryan, check this out, about phenytoin: no proof, but matche

CCS

Reaction score
http://www.wdxcyber.com/hairprb.htm

I had speculated that a drug that has the side effects of acne, alopecia, and excess hair growth, probably affects adrogens somehow, either by androgenic properties of its own, or upregulating 5ar or AR or something. This site does not give proof, but look at what it claims, and also be aware that there are many articles that link Phenytoin with alopecia. I can't find them, but some Rx Drug sites listing side effects mentioned this fact.

"
*increased androgen sensitivity in hair follicles
*drug induced
phenytoin (Dilantin®)
streptomycin
hexachlorobenzene
penicillamine
diazoxide
"

One site said hair growth from phenytoin is typically permenant. What mechanism do we both know of that causes permenant changes to hair? (begins with an A)

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to say CCS?

Topical Phenytoin is not a good option for Androgenetic Alopecia?

CCS

Reaction score
Yes Blaze, that is what I'm suggesting. I don't have full proof, but I do have a list of side effects (which includes acne, alopecia, and excess hair), a few Rx sites that say several studies noticed the trend, and also one site that claims Phenytoin upregulates the androgen receptor. That site did not give links though. And also, I found sites that said hair growth from Phenytoin is permenant, unlike minoxidil hair growth.

All of these signs point to the same thing.

CCS

Reaction score
Felk, if I'm a liar, then tell me what part about my reasoning you don't agree with. Let's start with Phenytoin: what are your thoughts on what I said in this thread?