Bryan I have a question regarding flutamide

Newbaldy84

Established Member
Reaction score
does applying flutamide to your scalp have any effect on your body when it comes to hormones?
I notices that my face gets more oily since I started flutamide and I get more break outs on my back. Does flutamide raise hormones in the body?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Newbaldy84 said:
does applying flutamide to your scalp have any effect on your body when it comes to hormones?

Obviously, that depends on whether or not flutamide gets absorbed systemically when you apply it topically, and it's a matter of considerable controversy nowadays as to whether or not that systemic absorption actually occurs. Early experiments with rodents (hamsters, rats, and mice) showed that topical flutamide worked almost TOTALLY by systemic absorption, but all they used in those studies was a simple hydroalcoholic vehicle. More recently, the famous Sintov study claimed to have success with a more advanced "gel" type of vehicle, but as far as I know, it still hasn't been tested carefully in humans in a clinical setting.

Newbaldy84 said:
I notices that my face gets more oily since I started flutamide and I get more break outs on my back. Does flutamide raise hormones in the body?

Again, it can definitely raise androgen production if it gets absorbed systemically; however, even if that happened, I still wouldn't normally expect that to increase oiliness and acne.