Bryan maybe...finasteride doses

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been back on finasteride (Merck proscar 5mg) for nearly a month now. Due to side-effects the last time I was taking finasteride, I have decided to split the pill into 1/8ths rather than into 1/5ths as before.

This means on average I am taking about 0.6mg of finasteride a day. Due to the fact that I am cutting this very tiny pill in a pill cutter means that the doses are pretty inaccurate from day to day. I reckon the dose I take each day is anywhere between 0.4mg and 0.8mg.

I was wondering whether this will cause the finasteride to not work as well.

I was also worried that maybe taking different amounts every day will cause the hormones to get messed about too much and not balance.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this...

THanks guys :)

ps. once I have finished this proscar I'm actually thinking about shedding out the extra money on propecia and split the pills into 0.5mg doses just for a more regular dose

oni

Reaction score
I think you should give it two months on 1mg and see if the side effects work them selfs out ( if you can stand it)

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Oni - I have already done that. I was on 1mg finasteride for over 2 months at the beginning of the year with a severely reduced sex-drive. I knew it had lowered, but it wasn't until I came off finasteride and my sex-drive returned with a vengence that I knew how much it was affected!

At the mo aswell as my 1-/8 proscar, I am taking mega-man vitamins and L-arginine which are both supposed to help with sex-drive. I have also recently read the evening primrose oil is supposed to increase sex-drive so I will investigate this further

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Why should it cause hairloss or mess with DHT levels? Have you any reason to think this?

As far as I know it doesn't, I have never read anywhere that it should effect your hair, nor you DHT levels. L-Arginine is an amino acid, a constituent of some proteins. It is reported to help increase sex-drive, which is why myself and a number of other people who experience loss of sex-drive due to finasteride take it.

Please let me know if you have read somewhere that it affects hairloss

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
would you say that L-Arginine is helping? i can still get it up,...but it's hardly ever randomly...like before.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I guess my erections seem fairly strong, I still masturbate just about everyday, though my sex drive is not what it was.

To be honest I won't know for sure how the sex drive is until I'm back at uni with my girlfriend in a few weeks

Another thing to remember is that it takes a while for hormones to settle after starting finasteride, most people who experience the effects are back to normal (give or take) within 2 months of starting.

But thinks are looking ok at the mo :)

I plan to look into evening primrose oil which I read somewhere influences your sex drive