Bubby6's Story - ( After 8 months on propecia and rogaine..)

bubby6

Reaction score
I have curly medium length hair. Ive been on propecia and rogaine for the past 8 months and up untill 3 weeks ago I had noticed a dramatic increase in thickness/fullness of my hair...especially on top. I would use each product as directed, propecia daily and rogaine twice a day. 3 weeks ago, I took a shower and after I washed my hair I noticed more shedding than usual from the front area of my scalp as I dried my hair....the hairs were altogether in a small clump. I was pretty alarmed and nervous because I had never noticed shedding of this magnitude when first starting this regimen. Within the last three weeks this happened probably 4 more times, but I would notice shedding from all over....even from the sides and back. But one thing I did notice was that by touching the sides of my hair, which would normally feel thick, have begun to feel thinner and more frizzy..even on the underneath layers. This shedding seems to be coming from the crown area and temples, at this point. I went to my dermatologist, who completely blew off the seemingly serious problem, and he said that it could be caused by stress or from getting older.......Im 20 by the way. I'm really worried about this, and am trying to reassure myself that after having such positive results during the past 8 months, to have it taken away from me would be horrible. :(

Since this has happened, I was suspicious of the rogaine, but I'm not sure what to think. My scalp would itch and a burning sensation would occur just recently, both occurring along my hairline. Now it feels that my hairline has receded in the temples a little, and I have no idea why. I stopped using rogaine this past saturday, it is now thursday, just because of the itching and burning and I would get the feeling that this hair shedding/loss could be attributed to rogaine. I am not too sure though, and I can jump back on the rogaine if its beleived that I will only lose the hair it helped me gain in the past 8 months.

So far, I have not been able to get a definite answer on what I should do, and have resorted to coming on here to get peace of mind.....everything involved with this situation just makes me feel horrible. I have no idea if these hairs that have shed will regrow, and what caused this outbreak of shedding. Please help!!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Re: After 8 months on propecia and rogaine...my story

Could just be that your DHT levels have ramped up...Your at a critical stage turning 20 y o, turning from a boy to a man. It was at this point that my hair started shedding like crazy, although I didn't get on a regimen until I was nearly 22.

You could try dropping rogain to once a day, and maybe add tricomin, which will help the scalp inflammation....T-Gel, head and shoulders shampoo all help too.

bubby6

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think the Rogaine could've caused this? DHT could be a suspect, but I've used the propecia everyday since beginning this regimen 8 months ago.

Has anyone heard of a story similar to mine?

Thanks!

Petchsky

Reaction score

Could be the rogaine, has the inflammation subsided since not applying it?

bubby6

Reaction score

It may be a little bit better. But not completely gone, I get itching and the same irritation feeling along my hairline and temples. It seems that my hairline has receded more in the past 3 weeks than anytime prior, also.

Thanks!

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I dont know what to tell ya man, that has got to be a shitty feeling esp when u have had success up until now. I dont understand these shedding phases, they scare the sh*t out of me though.!

bubby6

Reaction score
Ive been using rogaine once a day at night, and not really noticing that much more shedding. But my head just itches and along my hairline there's a burning/irritation sensation it has happened with the rogaine for the most. I just don't know if using the rogaine is smart to do now, or if it is in fact working. I just hope that the rogaine isn't causing the shedding I've experienced just recently, because I had not had it so far in this 8 months.

Thoughts?

iamme_

Established Member
Reaction score
Your story is exactly like mine. I had great success for the first 4-5 months and then the shedding started, and the last month it was some massive shedding. But recently, it kind of slowed down a bit and my hair again feel nicer.
I think the possible reasons would be that you got Telogen Effluvium on a small basis.
What kind of dose you take for finasteride?
One more thing I noticed that I have been sleeping a lot with lights and monitor on and not in completely dark, recently I started sleeping in full darkness and my hairs again feel nicer. I know it can be a coincidence but I am sure melatonin levels have to do something with hairloss too.

bubby6

Reaction score
I just take 1mg of propecia everyday, and I now ive been using the rogaine once a day at night to see if it would eliminate this shedding or stop the burning and itching. What I want to learn is if the rogaine is in fact working, and if so, why 8 months down the road is the shedding occurring rather than toward the beginning? But if it isn't working and causing the shedding/loss at my hair line, temples, and crown...should I discontinue?

I saw a dermatologist about this specific issue and he was no help. I just want an answer!!

iamme_

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should continue with minoxidil and also try retin a and spironolactone cream on the area you want regrowth. That's what I am going to try.