bullett33's Story

bullet33

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll try and keep this brief...

I'm a 25 year old male from the Southend in Essex, UK. About 11 months ago i was diagnosed with alopecia areata. Started with a small patch above my left ear that was there for about 3 months, then other patches began to appear and i noticed hair on my pillow in the mornings and all over my hands whenever i washed my hair. I let this go on for about two months, more hair was falling out and i was getting more and more pissed off and introverted. Eventually shaved it all off which was the best thing i could have done, i was much happier after, and all of a sudden had a new found respect from both people i know and strangers (who now tend to cross the street when they see me coming).

I've also lost areas of hair on my legs and arms, which does'nt bother me too much and in the last two or three months the majority of patches on my head have been replaced with white hair (velous?). There's still a few areas that are completely bald and some areas (particularly above my sideburns and around my crown) that are beginning to grow back darker which, looks kind of funny..!

I've tried a few treatments off the internet, and been to the doctor & dermatologist, but i'm not really interested in having solutions like creams/steroids etc that are unproven remedies, at the moment i'm really not too bothered by it. Since i shaved my head i'm not depressed, in fact i feel quite liberated. I guess its kind of like bearing your soul, i've been to my lowest level and i've come out smiling. Most people can see i've clearly got a problem with my hair and if they ask me i tell them. I'm more confident in myself because i don't feel self-conscious anymore, of course i have moments and if it gets worse (ie eyebrows, beard, eyelashes etc) who knows how it might affect me but for now and on the whole i'm as happy as i ever was. All experience is good experience as they say. I'd love to wake up tomorrow with a full head of hair but i'm not going to, so no point bleating on or beating myself up about it, i've just got to carry on and remember there is always someone far worse off than me.

Anyway, i've gone on much too long but there's my hair story...!

Thanks for reading

Bullet