Busterite's Story - ( 26/ sudden hair loss/thinning)

Busterite

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 26 year old male. Over the past 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing sudden hair loss and thinning of hair all over the scalp. Thinning is greater at the top of the scalp although hair at the sides and back also seems to be thinning at a fast pace. The hair all over the head is also very dry and brittle with the effect being greater at the top of the scalp.

Also over the past 2 years I have experienced some extremely traumatic events and have also had cases of alopecia areata twice over the past year. The areas affected by alopecia areata are still in the recovery phase and hair has not come back to normal in those areas. I am quite worried by this sudden hair loss/thinning and would like to see whether other people have experienced something similar

I did visit a dermatologist a few days ago and his view was that I am at really early stages of male pattern baldness. He also suggested I have some blood tests done as well. Can this be the case eventhough there is no history of male pattern baldness in the family? Also can male pattern baldness progress so fast? I mean I have experienced extensive hair loss/thinning in only 3 weeks. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you in advance. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am still in a state of panic to be honest.

Busterite

Reaction score
So it has been 2 months since my last post although it has felt more like 2 years to be honest.

I have now added some pictures of my situation as it stands at the moment.

To summarise the hairline has receded quite substantially in 2 months while the sides and back have also thinned substantially. The alopecia areata patch on the right side of the head is still not showing signs of regrowth. During my second visit to the dermatologist I was told that I must have also experienced diffuse alopecia areata all along the hairline as there were exclamation point hairs and inflammation in that area. In one of the pictures you can still see the peach fuzz growing at the alopecia areata patch on the right side of the hairline. I dont really understand why that area is not being affected the same way the left is. In any case I was advised to start using 12.5% minoxidil cream all along that area along with the other patch on the side of my head. I have been using it for a bit over a month now.

In addition I have also noticed another 2 alopecia areata patches. One round patch on my chest and one long strip at the back of the neck, starting right where the hairline stops. Furthermore I have quite a hairy chest and the texture of the hairs seems to have changed as well and I seem to be shedding more chest hair than normal, with the hair falling having the white bulb at the base.

On the positive side, the really intense itching I was experiencing all over the head seems to have subsided the last few days after about 2 months and it also seems that I am shedding less hairs than I was before. I am not sure why that is to be honest. The hair still has a straw like texture and I have to wash it everyday otherwise it gets extremely oily.

I wanted to ask whether there is anyone else that has experienced such rapid male pattern baldness? Up until December, when I had my last haircut, my hair was extremely thick and even the hairdresser was commenting about it. Is it possible for the hairline to recede and the hair all over the scalp to thin that fast? I have included some pictures showing how thin the hair on the sides is at the moment.
Do you guys think it is worth me starting on propecia? Could it help given the aggressive hair loss nature?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[attachment=5:atlrkhv8]Photo0557.JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]
[attachment=4:atlrkhv8]Photo0700 (1).JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]
[attachment=3:atlrkhv8]Photo0562.JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]
[attachment=2:atlrkhv8]Photo0610.JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]
[attachment=1:atlrkhv8]Photo0571 (1).JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]
[attachment=0:atlrkhv8]Photo0564.JPG[/attachment:atlrkhv8]

Attachments

• Photo0531.JPG
    Photo0531.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • Photo0557.JPG