Buying Amino acids (L-Arginine, L-Cystine ect)

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy this product

ddddr.jpg

Is this the best/cheapest way to get Amino acids?

Which is better capsules or powder?

thank in advance.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
5920715 said:
Is this the best/cheapest way to get Amino acids?

Probably from ordinary FOOD. If you want amino acids, why don't you just drink some milk and eat some eggs?

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah don't bother with supps. I bought a bunch of them only to realize they don't do anything and now i'm stuck with them.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
symbolx said:
Yeah don't bother with supps. I bought a bunch of them only to realize they don't do anything and now i'm stuck with them.

Ahem... there are about a million different supplements, apparently you've tried them all?

I order my supplements from either iHerb.com or purebulk.com, because they're the cheapest. I think purebulk.com have amino acids in bulk powders.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
symbolx said:

They do help, say a protein shake after a work out or in the morning when you wake up late and have no time to prepare breakfast. Even a multivitamin if your diet is lacking, but if you manage to have a whole diet then you do not really need them.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
If you buy single amino acids and you take them with a 3-4 hrs interval from each other, fine. but the problem with protein supplements is that they are all in the L- form and they compete with each other destroying your liver

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
If you buy single amino acids and you take them with a 3-4 hrs interval from each other, fine. but the problem with protein supplements is that they are all in the L- form and they compete with each other destroying your liver

Are you saying you want protein supplements with dextro form amino acids?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:

All the amino acids in a ham sandwich are in the L-form, too. Does that mean that eating a ham sandwich will destroy your liver? :)

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Ahem... there are about a million different supplements, apparently you've tried them all?

I order my supplements from either iHerb.com or purebulk.com, because they're the cheapest. I think purebulk.com have amino acids in bulk powders

No I haven't tried them all. But if the guy believes he can restore his hair with supplements, then I don't think that's going to work. That's why I said don't bother. If anything results can be seen by simply changing to a healthy diet without even needing supplements. I guess if your intent is to bulk up then the protein powder will work. I've used it before. But that's not really the context here.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
vauxall said:

All the amino acids in a ham sandwich are in the L-form, too. Does that mean that eating a ham sandwich will destroy your liver? :)

I didn't know about that. Can you give me a reference? A study/medical trial? This is the first time I hear that but you might be absolutely true.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
diffuse propecia said:
vauxall said:

Are you saying you want protein supplements with dextro form amino acids?
No, I am saying that they compete with each other and should be taken at intervals.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
You do realize that the proteins that humans consume all contain L-form amino acids in large quantities with multiple types of amino acids right? that would mean that the consumption of of a ham sandwich as bryan pointed out or for that matter any food containing proteins is bad for our liver. you either have D or L form amino acids and D form is toxic to humans.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Bryan said:

I didn't know about that. Can you give me a reference? A study/medical trial? This is the first time I hear that but you might be absolutely true.

A study/medical trial testing ham sandwiches to see what form its amino acids are in?? :)

You could probably find information in a good college-level nutrition textbook about how natural amino acids (ordinary food proteins) are in the "l" form.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Lysine and Arginine should not be taking together if they are of the *L* form because of the L-arginine & L-lysine compete for the same receptors. A proposal would be to replace L-arginine with Arginine Pyroglutamate because of that competition for the same receptors. It is suggested that Arginine Pyroglutamate attaches to a different receptor allowing for a synergistic effect between the two.

All 22 amino acids compete for the same receptor
sites to cross the blood/brain barrier.

Also, Triptophan competes even more energetically with all the remaining 21 amino acids.

Excessive amino acid supplementation increase nitrogen production and taxes the liver.

The common literature says that. If you have information of the contrary please contribute.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Lysine and Arginine should not be taking together if they are of the *L* form because of the L-arginine & L-lysine compete for the same receptors. A proposal would be to replace L-arginine with Arginine Pyroglutamate because of that competition for the same receptors. It is suggested that Arginine Pyroglutamate attaches to a different receptor allowing for a synergistic effect between the two.

All 22 amino acids compete for the same receptor
sites to cross the blood/brain barrier.

Also, Triptophan competes even more energetically with all the remaining 21 amino acids.

Excessive amino acid supplementation increase nitrogen production and taxes the liver.

The common literature says that. If you have information of the contrary please contribute.

The first statement would make sense in this discussion if you were trying to supplement with individual amino acids for their various therapeutic qualities but you stated in a previous post that you had a problem with protein supplements that are all in the L-form and that they destroy your liver disregarding that the majority if not all proteins consumed by humans are formed of amino acids in the L-form. The fact that excessive protein consumption is bad for liver proves nothing, we are not discussing excessive consumption here, and guess what, excessive fat and/or carbohydrate consumption is not good for you either. And as a final note, isnt there 20 amino acids? ( assuming human consumed proteins).

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
20 are the common amino acids but the complete number is more than that.

Source:wikipedia.

Proteinogenic amino acids are those 22 amino acids that are found in proteins and that are coded for in the standard genetic code.[...]

Non-proteinogenic amino acids are either not found in proteins (like carnitine, GABA, or L-DOPA), or not coded for in the standard genetic code (like hydroxyproline and selenomethionine). The latter often result from posttranslational modification of proteins.

If you take amino acids in the form and the quantities recommended by commercial manufacturers (which I too often buy) you end up with excessive consumption and liver and kidney damages. Ask any long term bodybuilder and I am not only talking of those who take steroids. I am not against taking amino acid supplements but one has to very very careful. Amino acids do have side effects if taken at more than a few grams (each) a day for a certain time.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
All 22 amino acids compete for the same receptor sites to cross the blood/brain barrier.

I think that's unlikely to be true. In their various Life Extension books, Pearson & Shaw have mentioned specific pairs of amino acids that they say do NOT compete with each other.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Non-proteinogenic amino acids are either not found in proteins (like carnitine, GABA, or L-DOPA), or not coded for in the standard genetic code (like hydroxyproline and selenomethionine). The latter often result from posttranslational modification of proteins.

How do you explain the occurrence of l-dopa in velvet beans?

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Americans, and most of the western world gets plenty of protien. They are plenty of ripped, healthy guys that eat all kinds of supplements and have male pattern baldness. I seriously doubt, unless you have a dramatic shortage of nutrition, that it would show up in your hair only.

The whole supplement industry almost collapsed when legislation was put forward for them to have to prove their claims. Almost everything is now basically using "not evaluated by the FDA" as a dodge. If most of these companies had to do even decent studies with control groups, things like NO supplements would be thoroughly drubbed.

Just becuase someone got a placebo effect does not mean it works. There are plenty of good textbooks on sports science at your local library and sports shops, and they tell you, almost everyone gets a decent amount of protien. Also, just because a doctor is unethical and puts his name on some crap, doesn't make it "scientific". I had some doctor prescribing vicodin over the net for 2 years who never looked at me once.