Bv2929's Story - (22/Receding Hair Line and Thinning)

bv3131

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I should first say that my family doesn't really have any history of baldness. My dad and my brother both have full heads of hair. I do have an uncle who has a receding hairline, but that didn't start for him until his 40s/50s. I'm currently 22 years old and first noticed a receding hairline on one side about a year and a half ago. Since then, the problem has gotten quite a bit worse. I would say that I am a NW3. I'm now receding on both sides and there is barely any hair left in the corners. The front middle area is also thinng very badly. Whenever I run my hands through my hair vigorously, about 30-40 hairs fall out. I can do this repeatedly over and over again and the loss gets into the hundred pretty quickly. I also lose a ton in the shower and when I towel my hair off. Also, I frequently feel a tingling/itching sensation on my scalp, especially at the hairline.
About 9 months or so ago, I decided to take action and start Propecia. I had had gynecomastia since I was a kid so I was hoping that Propecia wouldn't aggrevate that any further. Unfortunately, it did. I started to notice breast pain/tenderness about 3 months in, but kept taking it hoping that it would subside. Of course, it didn't and I had increased gynecomastia growth on my left side. So, after trying Propecia in halves, then in quarters, I eventually quit after about 5-6 months when the probelm didn't resolve itself.
Being that I had always planned to have surgery to correct my gynencomastia, I figured now was the best time for it, so I got it done. Here's what's strange: for about 2 months after my surgery, I noticed barely any hair loss at all. Unfortunately, over the last 2 months, that hair loss has come back with a vengeance. I also feel as if my gynecomastia has partially grown back. Could this be why I'm losing hair? Did having the surgery "fix" my hormones for the time being, but now that they are going out of whack again (the gyne growing back), the hair is falling out again?
Does this sound like typical male pattern baldness, or could something else be going on here? I have a decent diet (although I do eat a lot of fast food), take a multivitamin every day, and have no family history of hair loss. I also use Nizoral every 2/3 days. What do you guys suggest I do? Should I get on Rogaine? Is there an alternative to Propecia? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cuebald

Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you can't take Propecia (or any alternatives to Propecia that inhibit/reduce DHT, such as Dutasteride and the very weak Saw Palmetto) then your hair is just going to get damaged by DHT and will fall out regardless of what else you do.

You can try your luck with topical anti-androgens (I don't think I've ever seen what could be described as amazing results from topical anti-androgens, but you could hope to achieve maintenance of what you already have with them).

minoxidil will thicken your hair up, but male pattern baldness will still be taking effect, so basically all it will do is "buy" you an additional 6 months or so of decently thick hair.

bv3131

Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting Rogaine 5% and then maybe in a month or 2, going back on Propecia. However, I will start out with only 1/4 a pill per day. Does this sound like a good idea? Or is it best to start both Rogaine and Propecia at the same time?

bv3131

Reaction score
Ok so I started taking Propecia (1/4 pill) again 2 days ago. I'm now officially on the Big 3. I've been using Nizoral for a few months now and started Rogaine liquid 4 days ago. The funny thing is that I already feel like I could be feeling breast pain again, is that even possible this early? I haven't taken Propecia for about 4-5 months and when I first started feeling the pain it was after like 2 months on it. Is it possible to feel it again after only 2 days? If the side effects do come back, do you guys have any advice on what to do? Thanks.