Bv3131's Story (22 / please help!)

bv3131

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just came across this forum and thought I would share my story and see if you guys have any advice. I'm currently 22 years old and my hair has been gradually thinning for the past 4 years or so. But in the last year, it has definitely accelerated. The hair comes in much thicker on the sides and the back and my hairline has receded in the upper corners by about an inch (more than that on the right side actually). I started to notice that every time I run my hands through my hair or gently pull on my hairline that multiple hairs would come out. Also, my scalp was itchy a lot of the time.
About 5 months ago, I saw a dermatologist who prescribed me Propecia. I started on 1mg per day and was optimistic that things would change. About 2 months in, I started to notice a lot more hair coming out when I would wash and towel off my hair. I'm assuming this was the shedding phase, but it freaked me out enough to buzz my hair to 1/4 inch. After a while I quit noticing hairfall, but that may just be because it was so short. One thing that I noticed was that the itchiness that had plagued me before had gone away. I will still hopeful that this would work out.
But after about 3.5 months into taking the drug, I started to notice some breast pain. It wasn't constant, but would pop up every once in a while. Over the next couple weeks, it seemed to get worse. I had been paranoid about the gynecomastia side effect going in, because I have had gynecomastia/puffy nipples since puberty and I didn't want them to get any worse. So I started feeling for lumps and I'm not certain, but I think there is something there. I think I feel a lump on the outer edge of both my nipples. I got freaked out so I stopped taking Propecia for a week. My dermatologist suggested I try going back on it but only take 1/2 a pill a day. I tried that for a week, and the pain/tenderness came back, so I stopped it again.
That was about a week ago, and since then I feel like I'm seeing more hair fall out at my hairline. Also, my scalp has been extremely itchy over the past 3 days. I got a little sunburn on my scalp about 5 days ago, but it's not peeling or anything so I'm confused as to whether or not the itching is related to stopping Propecia or the sunburn.
Did the fact that I had pre-existing gynecomastia make me more likely to experience the breast tenderness/enlargement side effect of Propecia? Do you guys think I should go back on Propecia, but only take 1/4 a pill a day and see if that works? I'm planning on having surgery to correct my gynecomastia within the next few weeks, so I don't want to have it done, and then have it come back because of taking Propecia. Where do you guys think I should go from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^Have you asked your doctor about continuing propecia whilst having the operation to remove the gyno? I wouldn't know what to do since it sounds like you'd be taking a risk..but best to see what your doctor has to say.

bv3131

Reaction score
Draco88 said:
^^Have you asked your doctor about continuing propecia whilst having the operation to remove the gyno? I wouldn't know what to do since it sounds like you'd be taking a risk..but best to see what your doctor has to say.

When he told me to start taking 1/2 a pill a day, I mentioned that I was going to have the surgery. He recommended a couple surgeons and seemed to think that only taking 1/2 a pill would correct the problem; unfortunately, it didn't. I'm thinking about taking a 1/4 of a pill a day from now on and seeing if the soreness comes up again. I'm not having the surgery for a few weeks, so I guess it's better to experiment with it now then after the surgery. One thing I'm really curious about is the itching I've been experiencing since going off Propecia, I still feel it today. I can feel it on the top of my head and on my hairline and it is really irritating; has anybody else experienced this?

bv3131

Reaction score
Well after posting on here, I restarted Propecia at 1/4 a pill per day. I felt fine for the first four days, but on the fifth day I had the soreness/tenderness again. I think I'm going to have my gynecomastia surgery in about 3 weeks. Does anybody have any advice on how to keep my hair?