Cali's Story - (New Pics - It's Officially 5 Months)

Cali

Reaction score
I've been browsing the forum for a while and soaking in the advice offered. As a little background, I'm currently 40, and although I was receding as early as my mid-twenties, it wasn't until January 2001 that I took any preventative steps. Back at that time, I started Propecia/minoxidil, kept up with it for a few months, saw results and even got compliments from friends of mine who were noticing some growth. I realize now that I was a decent "responder" to both medications back then, but being a complete idiot, I stopped treatment around May 2001. Don't ask me why, as I have no reason, save a few small but tolerable sides from Propecia. I just wasn't committed.

Flash forward to last month. A friend I had not seen in seven years comes to visit. We're hanging around watching some TV and knocking back a few brews. I'm sitting on the couch yelling at some sporting event and he comes out of the kitchen and stands behind me. He says "hey man, what happened to your hair?" I'd been feeling a little thinner up top over the past year or two, but never even bothered or was too scared to look. And standing 6'4", there are few people who even see the top of my head. I say "whatever - I'm just getting older." He asked if I was still on meds, and I said no. He actually remembers my progress from my brief stint on meds back in 2001 and really pushed me to get positive and proactive again.

Long story short, I really have to thank my friend for being honest with me and forcing me to address the issue and this forum for providing a source for information and experiences. I feel like an idiot for not addressing my hair years ago, as well as stopping treatment back in '01. And although I was a little concerned that I'd either not respond at my current age, have sides I couldn't deal with and all the rest of those phobias, I'm really glad I took the plunge and decided to make a life/long-term commitment this time if things improve. And thankfully, no real sides as of now.

To chart my progress (if any) I set a fixed camera height, fixed bright lighting (as harsh a setup as I could design), fixed angle, fixed time of day (just out of bed without touching hair), etc. to try and maintain apples-to-apples comparisons as I go along. For me, I don't need wet versus dry, styled versus not styled, multiple angles and all the rest to convince myself my regimen is or is not working for me. Just a simple, harsh, top-down picture, which I will take once a month and post here to update the thread.

Here is a before/after from my first month back on treatment. I realize it's only one month, and as I said, I'll keep this updated on a monthly basis so you guys can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction. I plan on a solid year commitment to my current regimen before making any alternations. Regardless, I'd appreciate any opinions/thoughts as I start the process.

Cheers -

comp1.jpg

uncombed-combed.jpg

7/13/08 - Two month update. The first picture below was taken with flash (just like all the ones above). The second I just opened the window to show my dome in natural light.

7-13-08t.jpg

Wet and brushed straight back - the worst situation for us balding buys. Lots of little lighter hairs and some frontal growth/thickening. Peach fuzz city gents and a few shorties on the mid-front doing well. I had an explosion of fuzz over the past few weeks. I hope those b****s give birth and grow to be wise old souls...

update.jpg

3 Month Update (not quite three months, but I will be out of town for a few weeks coming up). Got a haircut two days ago as well:

811.jpg

And just to compare - my total three month progress:

3monthcomparo.jpg

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Beginning Again (w/pics)

Wow good improvement already :)

Will be interesting to see your results in a few more months.

Good Luck. Keep us posted!

Cali

Reaction score

I'm actually pretty psyched with the improvement as well. I have other one month pictures that look better, but I chose the one that is as harsh as possible to try and keep things realistic. I guess I should also list the routine for anyone interested:

Dr. Reddy's Finast (5mg) - 1/4 (approx. 1.25mg) daily in the A.M.
Xandrox 5% w/ Azelaic Acid daily in the A.M.
Xandrox Nighttime 5% w/ Azelaic Acid & .025% Retinoic Acid daily in the P.M. - or:
Xandrox 15% w/ 5% Azelaic Acid in the P.M. on alternate evenings
1% Nizoral daily or every other day
Daily Multi-Vitamin
850mg Fish Oil (Omega 3)

Cali

Reaction score

Although I told myself once a month was already too frequent to compare, I had the camera out, so I figured I just shoot a pic and check progress for the hell of it. Pretty happy with the progress over the past two weeks - at least there seems to be less scalp shining through. And shedding has pretty much gone down to zero, mostly from the front (for now anyway!).

Obsidian

Reaction score

That is some friggin' good progress! Congrats!

Cali

Reaction score

So far so good. *sigh* If only I'd stayed on it years ago. Thanks Obsidian!

-Cheers

Cal

Edit: added an unstyled pic from yesterday versus styled just to be accurate.

Cali

Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Beginning Again - Two Month Update Pics

Just updated with pics above. I got a haircut yesterday, and was really worried that shorter/less hairs to cover my dome would mean I'd be Mr. Shiny-*** Scalp again like I was in the beginning. I'm really pleased that I still appear less bald post haircut. :mrgreen:

My frontal third seems to be filling in now a bit as well. I also have a bunch of those little fuzzies sprouting in the temple region where hair had not been in years. Whether they mature into workable hair or not, time will tell.

Cheers!

-Cal

Cali

Reaction score

Updated. Might not mean much to the young bucks, but you older gents will appreciate some decent progress from the 40+ crowd...

Obsidian

Reaction score

That is impressive either way man, gives me hope that if you can respond that well then why can't I.

Cali

Reaction score

Updated for a three month comparison. Let me know what you all think of the progress. I certainly feel much better, hair seems denser wet/dry or styled or unstyled. I seem to be finally making a dent in that gaping hole on the top of my dome :mrgreen:

madhatter

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Three Month Update Pics *8/11/08*

That is some great progress. I'm a week into the big 3, but have been on minoxidil for 2 months. I'm hoping I respond as well as you have. Keep it up.

Cali

Reaction score

Thanks gents. The program seems to be working pretty well. My only regret is not staying with it seven or so years ago.

Obsidian

Reaction score

Hell isn't that everyone's regret? I wish I would jumped on treatments at 18 or 19 at the first signs of hairloss instead of ignoring it hoping it would go away. The good news is though you are a fast responder.

Sloane

Reaction score

Cali, you really responded quickly! Your hair is coming along nicely. Please keep us updated :)

Hans Gruber

Reaction score

quite possibly youll see a near full recovery! nice work :)

Cali

Reaction score

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. :punk: And for those that don't believe the "Big 3" can do anything for your front hairline, here is a pic comparing my sad situation on May 16 and progressing until today. Pretty shocking to see just how bad I'd gotten as of a few months ago. Just a little more than three months and I can walk around with at least the beginnings of a hairline again. I doubt I need to label the photos - everyone can easily see the "before" pic versus the "after" pics. FYI, the last pic in the sequence is as of two minutes ago without flash.

thenandnow.jpg

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Three Month Update Pics + Front *8/21/08*

HOLY F******************KKKKKKKKKK!!!!! :woot: :woot:

man thats a lot of hair in just 3 months....

definitely a success story :) :)

:bravo:

Cali

Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Three Month Update Pics + Front *8/21/08*

Four months (or so) update. Hair was slightly wet in the after pics, which usually makes it worse. Rock on Big Three - :punk:

5to81-1.jpg

8-8-9n.jpg

madhatter

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Cali's Story - Four Month Update Pics (Page 2)

holy crap!!!! And I was concerned that I may be starting late at 30....Cali, what is your exact regimen??? I'm on the big 3 currently. Just a month into finasteride/nizoral and 3 into minoxidil....