Cam71101 Story - (Losing hair since age 14 - Need advice)

cam71101

Reaction score
Hey, I'm 22 years old and since the age of 14 I have suffered from male pattern baldness. Of course at that age, it was a terrible shock plus with the loss of my father, it turned out to be a very difficult time. Surprisingly, I coped quite well and dated a series of very attractive girls over the course of the two years. As the years went on, my hair line got worse and worse so I decided to take some action. First off, I looked into getting a hair transplant but the surgeon whom i spoke to did not recommend the surgery at such a young age (and rightly so). Instead I turned to Advanced Hair Studio, who although were expensive, could provide with a way of covering up the bald spots. Their 'stand-by-strand' technique is basically a hair piece. The place is pretty evil and they rip you off hard but I was desperate and I am still with the studio. I also began to take propecia about 2 years ago because I thought it might help grow some hair around the hairline area. However, after taking the product for a year and a half, I didn't see an improvement in hair growth and decided to stop taking the pill because as you guys know, it can be expensive. However, after a month or so, I noticed a bald patch at the back of my head and quickly got back on propecia. I have now been taking propecia again for about 3 and a half months. The problem is, is that I'm shedding a hell of a lot, especially at the sides of my head. I didn't suffer from shedding when I first started taking propecia two years ago. So i was wondering if the excessive shedding is due to me retaking the drug again so quickly and basically f*****g up my hormone system? I know I was an absolute twat for not researching more and understanding the drug. You wouldn't believe how much I wish I could go back in time and continue to take the drug. The shedding, as most of you guys know, is very difficult to cope with and I have suffered some real down times as of recent.

I've also kept my hair long since I was 14 because my left ear is very disfigured and the hair keeps it covered. However, I have recently decided to go ahead with another operation on my ear (I've had two previously) and then cut my hair short and lose the hair pieces from advanced hair studio.

On a brighter note, I'm trying to see this in a positive way. Since I've been at advanced hair studio, I've not had a girlfriend because I'm too embarrassed that she will find out I wear a hair piece. Perhaps now I don't have anything to hide and I can just be myself.

So what are your thoughts? Should I keep taking Propecia or shall I try a different drug? Or shall I just stop taking the pill altogether....

Thanks

tania b

Reaction score
welll I think you should stop the pill. And try other options. Some people say ayurveda works. But remember it may work or may not.It hasn't worked for me but then again its a good thing Personally having alopecia. I have been bald for 13 years. It ain't that bad. This day and age many people go bald so I'm just continuing that trend. I got more confidence now then I did before. I hope things get better for ya... And for guys they actually loook handsome bald!!

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
tania b said:
welll I think you should stop the pill. And try other options. Some people say ayurveda works. But remember it may work or may not.It hasn't worked for me but then again its a good thing Personally having alopecia. I have been bald for 13 years. It ain't that bad. This day and age many people go bald so I'm just continuing that trend. I got more confidence now then I did before. I hope things get better for ya... And for guys they actually loook handsome bald!!

As long as you don't listen to anything this person said, carry on taking propecia as it is just a natural shed, and you should be just fine =)

cuebald

Reaction score
ayurveda works about as well as balayam for male pattern baldness.

Remember Balayam? :mrgreen: It was a "cure" that came out a few months ago, where you basically rubbed your fingernails over your scalp for an hour a day.
Over at HLH the main board was flooded with people saying it was growing their hair back, until about 2 or so months later when the reality sank in that it was just a big joke :mrgreen: most of those posters went very quiet... until the buzz about RU started up again... :mrgreen:

cuebald

Reaction score
Oh BTW I shedded on finasteride for about a month, a month and a half, then it went back to "baseline".

I actually wasn't shedding that badly before I took finasteride, so I was a little worried when more hair started falling out after starting on it.

3 1/2 months is quite a long time to be shedding on the drug. It tells me that a) it isn't doing much if anything to help you, or b) perhaps you're having an increase in Testosterone due to the drug (some people here call that "reflex hyperandrogenicity"). Regardless to say, both of them are bad.
Give it a month, if you're still shedding, chances are finasteride won't work for you (it doesn't work for, what seems like 30% of posters here). You'd be screwed in this case. Just the way male pattern baldness treatments are at present.

So are you on minoxidil? minoxidil can make you shed nicely.

cam71101

Reaction score
I actually started shedding about a month and a half ago but have been taking the drug for 3 and a half months. If the shredding doesn't stop within the next month I will probably stop taking the pill. Thanks for the advice.