Can Finasteride cause sides after 5+ years or is it anxiety?

Ghostmain

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, in late December of last year I started having this weird sensation in my body that suddenly came out of no where. The feeling was like my body internally vibrating. I had no other physical symptoms other than that, like actual shaking or something it seems to all be on the inside. It was like a constant buzzing feeling that would come and go throughout the day but feel strongest when laying in bed. Has anyone else felt this before with finasteride? Cannot find anything related to what I'm describing.

Anyways, I've been on finasteride since around 2018 and have never had any sides really besides the occasional brain fog. But then these vibrations started happening and the only thing I can really think of is the finasteride, since I never had anxiety before and this symptom came out of nowhere. Unless I did develop anxiety randomly and finasteride has nothing to do with it. (From looking on reddit people with internal vibrations may have anxiety but there's other causes too, but I was questioning that since I was never a anxious person, or had severe anxiety)

Five months later the sensation is still here. I wake up almost every morning and feel the vibrating and same when I go to bed, although some days are stronger than others and when I think about it, it gets worse. It doesn't affect my daily life but its getting annoying.

Then this last week another feeling accompanied it for the first time which is this chest tightness feeling. That comes and goes too but is more annoying since it feels stronger than the vibrations and gives me a shortness of breath sometimes also. At first when the vibrations started I thought it could be something bad like MS after the google rabbit hole, but since Dec nothing else has appeared (besides this tight chest/shortness of breath) I kind of deducted it as anxiety but don't know if it's caused by finasteride or just actual Anxiety I'm experiencing by itself. I made an app with a neuro but the wait time is 6+ months.

Anyways, would you guys recommend me trying some sort of anti-anxiety drug? Or maybe take a break from finasteride for a month to see if the sides go away? I don't want to lose any hair so that's why I've been scared to stop the drug. My hair is finally thick again and I have been on it for awhile. If I did have to stop finasteride what would be a good alternative? I'm assuming Minoxidil or something.

I was also thinking about asking to see a therapist or psychiatrist to see their take but the wait times on those (unless i pay) are really long too. Or maybe even a derm again to discuss the options and his opinion. But I also thought I'd ask her to see if anyone had advice or similar feelings experienced.

More Details:​

- I did get bloodwork done, an ecg, x-rays, ultrasound on stomach and chest and everything was normal.
- When I get the feelings my heart rate is normal.
- I'm 30 yrs old and take 1mg daily (somedays I skip, I also split a 5mg piece into quarters since it's cheaper)
- The vibrations just came for the first time in December, and the chest tightness within the last week.
- I do have a full head of hair that is decently full, I started using finasteride super early so I didn't have much balding at all.

Any suggestions on my routine what to do or anything else please let me know, thanks :)

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes
Sounds like it gave you akathisia

Did you also take some antibiotics or PPI's or had COVID recently?

I suffer from the same crap but probably from other big pharma crap (even though I have taken finasteride a couple times before.. big mistake), you gotta hop off finasteride and allow your body to return to homeostasis

Ghostmain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes

I suffer from the same crap but probably from other big pharma crap (even though I have taken finasteride a couple times before.. big mistake), you gotta hop off finasteride and allow your body to return to homeostasis
I'm planning on taking a one month break, do you think that should be fine?

Ghostmain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes

Also to add I don't think I've had covid recently or new meds. But still taking a break

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a one month break, do you think that should be fine?
One month? I would stop taking that sh*t for good, period..

You don't need it to function/be alive. You use it for vanity reasons.

It's better to be bald and healthy..

Also to add I don't think I've had covid recently or new meds. But still taking a break
Ok so it's probably the Finasteride.

Ghostmain

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not finasteride after 6 years.
Well I heard finasteride can cause side-effects after 5-10 yrs. And also, it's just anxiety. It MAY be the finasteride causing the anxiety, which is why I wanted to talk a break and see. I just wanted to know if 2-4 weeks off finasteride is okay, my doctor said yes. But just wanted to see others opinions too.

My doctor also said it could be the finasteride causing the body anxiety, as it's one of the side effects.

Ghostmain

My Regimen
Reaction score
One month? I would stop taking that sh*t for good, period..

You don't need it to function/be alive. You use it for vanity reasons.

It's better to be bald and healthy..

Ok so it's probably the Finasteride.
Well I plan on taking it again as I love my hair. I'm only taking a break as this is the only side-effect i've experienced and I don't even know if finasteride is causing the anxiety. Which is why I'm wanting to see if 2-4 weeks is good enough to keep hair and check for sides. From reddit and other forums they seem to be saying that amount of time is safe, and I should be fine.