Can minoxidil make u worse?

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering is it possiable?..or merely just people not giving it enough time..has to be in a the minority just everytime i apply it i start to thin even after a few days on a tiny bit..

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes it can.

However this is generally accompanied by severe irritation.

How long have you been on minoxidil?

viperfish

Reaction score
I personally don't think minoxidil is gonna make your hair worse. Maybe if it is causing real bad irritation. I have used minoxidil twice for a period of 6 months and then 8 months stopped both times with no serious affect to the hair.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been on it about a month..
So if no irration is present then the answer is no?
My head has always been itchy so hard to say if minoxidil makes it worse or not been using dr lee's minoxidil ..

scottp999

Reaction score
makes my hair thin out the first 30-60 days, just initial shedding becuase it is shocking the follicles to start a growth cycle, comes back much thicker by the end of month 4.

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got done 1 month on 5%minoxidil, and shedding a little bit, not much.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ditto on what scott said. minoxidil usually makes hair appear worse in the first month.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks guys
My only question is does it matter how much minoxidil u actually use in regards to shedding does more equal more shedding?
because i hardly use much at all im testing it i guess on a area with vellous hair to see how it reacts before applying in other areas..I only apply about 5 drops a day and its been a month but my hair in surrounding areas is thinner or feels thinner..bad reaction or completelynormal?..even when applying so little?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In my experience more minoxidil = more shedding, but that doesnt mean you arnt using enough minoxidil to get a shed. If the minoxidil is doing its thing, then you are going to find that thin, weak hairs are ejected so that the follicles can grow bigger ones.