Can Nizoral cause your hair to thin out even more?

Matw

Reaction score
Heya,

I posted here a while ago with some pics of my hair... A few people thought I may have been thinning, so I purchased some Nizoral 2% shampoo and started using it close to 2-months ago. It didn't really look like I was balding but I felt my hair thickness had really started to change and given my family history I figured better safe than sorry. I also suffer from some dandruff so I felt I was killing two birds with one stone.

At first I noticed the nizoral was making my hair much thicker and healthier looking... But over the last few weeks I've noticed my hair is getting extremely thin on top... When it's wet it looks like I have hardly any hair covering the top of my head! When dry it looks much better... But still, it is quite clear that my hair has really, really thinned out over the past month or so. Even my family notices the difference.

My question is, could Nizoral have caused my hair to thin out and is this normal? I never really see my hair falling out... It just seems to get thinner. Is this just shedding? I find it hard to believe my hair could have thinned out this bad in less than 2-months. :(

I'm really worried that this is some sort of super-aggressive form of male pattern baldness. I'll be seeing the Doctor sometime this week to talk to him about Propecia... But has anyone else had similar experiences with Nizoral 2%?

I'll add some before/after nizoral photos later to give you guys a better idea...

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Matw said:
Heya,

I posted here a while ago with some pics of my hair... A few people thought I may have been thinning, so I purchased some Nizoral 2% shampoo and started using it close to 2-months ago. It didn't really look like I was balding but I felt my hair thickness had really started to change and given my family history I figured better safe than sorry. I also suffer from some dandruff so I felt I was killing two birds with one stone.

At first I noticed the nizoral was making my hair much thicker and healthier looking... But over the last few weeks I've noticed my hair is getting extremely thin on top... When it's wet it looks like I have hardly any hair covering the top of my head! When dry it looks much better... But still, it is quite clear that my hair has really, really thinned out over the past month or so. Even my family notices the difference.

My question is, could Nizoral have caused my hair to thin out and is this normal? I never really see my hair falling out... It just seems to get thinner. Is this just shedding? I find it hard to believe my hair could have thinned out this bad in less than 2-months. :(

I'm really worried that this is some sort of super-aggressive form of male pattern baldness. I'll be seeing the Doctor sometime this week to talk to him about Propecia... But has anyone else had similar experiences with Nizoral 2%?

I'll add some before/after nizoral photos later to give you guys a better idea...

I used to use "Revita" which has Ketoconazole (which is what nizoral prides itself on) - exactly the same thing happened to me. Pretty much after I would wash, my hair would seem A LOT thicker, and very very dense, only the next day when sebum hits in it would seem thin/limp and I could see scalp! Would feel like I am diffuse thinning.

On hairloss help they say it is because of Keto burn - overusing it.

Good news is (can't be too sure), my overall density is returning, but I completely changed my diet by trying to tackle inflammination of the scalp as opposed to DHT directly, that and improving circulation with anti-oxidants (only use topical spironolactone for tackling DHT,even then testing it on one temple).

$tackz

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty well-known that as a shampoo Nizoral has thickening properties on your hair, even immediately. My hair always looks the thickest on days that I use Nizoral which is odd for a shampoo that strips hair of dirt and oils.

You can also find graphs online that shows Nizoral physically increases the diameter of the hair shaft over time.

rcom440

Reaction score
Cassin said:
My hair looks like sh*t after I use Nizoral.

It may depends on the type of your hair. Nizoral is great for oily hair. It will keep nice balance. However, it's horrible for someone who has dry scalp, I would recommend using some good moisturizing conditioner while using Nizoral.
Nizoral is one of the big guns (big3).

rcom440

Reaction score
Cassin said:
I have oily hair : )

But yeah...for sure depends on the hair type. Someone else with oily hair it may make it look awesome.

Yeah that's right.
It's not only illusion. I believe that Ketoconazole thickens hair over the time.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Or it could be the soap.
Sodium laureth sulfate is used in 99% of shampoos to strip the scalp from grease. This is usually a good thing, but when used too often, it can lead to irritation of the scalp, or in some extreme cases, even slight inflammation.
SLS also trips the hair of grease, wich depending on what type of hair you have, could make it look thinner.
I'm not saying the soap leads to hair loss, that is very, very, very unlikely. But; it can definetly make your hair look like, as admin put it, s*it

Try using a thickening conditioner after washing your hair.

JDS 17

Reaction score
I think I have experienced something very similar to Mat. My hair thinned out drastically in the space of 2-3 months and during this time I was using nizoral 2% every other day and sometimes every day. I am now going to use nizoral once weekly as I have started taking finasteride to tackle DHT.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it take for your density to return?

sly_fox

Reaction score
Wow to think I thought I was the only one. In the past year my hair has been gradually thinning but at a very slow pace. About 2 months ago I started getting some pretty bad dandruff and slight inflammation so I jumped into nizoral. Good thing is my scalp felt great after a couple of applications, inflammation is gone and so is dandruff problem is my hair has ridiculously thinned. I went from having slight thinning at the crown and vertex to having an NW5 shadow. Since then Ive cut out nizoral to 2 time a week( I was using it 4-5 times.week). Hope my hair goes back to normal. I know that I may eventually go bald but the change is absurd. Are nizoral sheds normal?

Epiphany

Reaction score
sly_fox said:
Are nizoral sheds normal?

I have read reports that nizoral may cause shedding in the early stages. Stick with it. It is considered part of the "big 3" for a reason.

Personally, I have been using nizoral 2% every other day (regular thickening shampoo on non-nizoral days) and my hair, which is naturally thin, looks very full and healthy.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems like allot of you are not using finasteride with the Nizoral. The big 3 has an advantage when used in combination and has more protection for your hair, that's why it is called the big 3 as in 3 things at once pack a punch.

If you don't include finasteride or something else to the mix then it should be no surprise that DHT is effecting you scalp hair because if you have aggressive hair loss then you need more than just Nizoral.

heynow1234

Established Member
Reaction score
hey i started using 2% keto (generic nizoral) shampoo 3 months ago. I had been using propecia for 10 months before that and my hair had stabilized, and then after 2 months of the keto use my hair def thinned out. I doubt its a good sign when you shed from nizoral. I now only use it twice a week instead of the 4 times i had been. Also I have the same thing with my hair, it looks thicker after I use it but the next day its oilly and thin.

-Also FDA has hairloss as a side effect of nizoral on their website!

-Dont know if i should stop or what.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so in this aug. 2009 updated review by the FDA:

Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) -- August 2009

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/ucm182006.htm

What you saw was probably voluntary reports, not clinical reports to the agency. Sort of similar to the reports about how medicine for depression makes some people jump off a bridge. :whistle: