Can Proscar go Bad from being too cold or hot?

G

I'm having some proscar mailed and I'm worried it will go bad if it is outside too long in the cold (I live in Minnesota, it is 39 degrees F. (almost freezing) right now).

How can I know that my meds are 100% okay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Peace

G

why don't you send a mail to Merck and ask them. They would be the best people to ask.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Freezing drugs usually has no effect. In fact, some doctors recommend putting pills in the fridge to make them last longer and evade temperature variances/moisture.

D.

G

Do not put your pills in the fridge!

If condensation forms on the inside of the jar/bottle/packaging the pills can be ruined.

They are best kept at room temperture.

drinkrum

Reaction score
tynamW is right -- just follow the directions on the bottle or look it up online for Propecia. I was talking in general.

D.

G

agreed!

chilling your pills is a whole lot safer than heating them up.

So the fridge would be prefrebale to a car dash board on a hot day.

But the condensation issue is a real one, so room temperature storage is the safest bet.

G

So my best geuss would be that Merck recomends a constant temperature to keep the meds from being exposed to moisture and not neccesarily the temp.

I could also see hot instead of cold or an extreme temp. having an effect on the medication.

Also, the company I ordered from should take this into consideration. It is a pharmacy.

I will call the phone # on the side of my Propecia bottle, but I wanted some of your opinions as well.

Thanks for the help.

G

Paradise Lost said:
So my best geuss would be that Merck recomends a constant temperature to keep the meds from being exposed to moisture and not neccesarily the temp.

Store propecia in a sealed container between 15 and 30 degrees C (room temperture)

Paradise Lost said:
I could also see hot instead of cold or an extreme temp. having an effect on the medication.

Yep, heat will damage you medicines, cold will preserve them, but storage in a refridgerator may cause condensation

Paradise Lost said:
Also, the company I ordered from should take this into consideration. It is a pharmacy.

I will call the phone # on the side of my Propecia bottle, but I wanted some of your opinions as well.

Thanks for the help.

I am sure a few days in very cold temperatures in a sealed package will not cause you any problems, but don't go sticking them in the fridge!!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I dunno....I think the issue of condensation is being considerably overblown. That's going to occur mainly on the OUTSIDE of a cold bottle when you first remove it from the fridge and put it in humid air. To stop it from condensing on the INSIDE when you remove the cap from the bottle, just let the bottle warm-up to room temperature for a few minutes before taking the cap off and removing a pill. Then cap it again and put it back in the fridge.

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
Oh, I dunno....I think the issue of condensation is being considerably overblown. That's going to occur mainly on the OUTSIDE of a cold bottle when you first remove it from the fridge and put it in humid air. To stop it from condensing on the INSIDE when you remove the cap from the bottle, just let the bottle warm-up to room temperature for a few minutes before taking the cap off and removing a pill. Then cap it again and put it back in the fridge.

Bryan

really, you shouldn't bother with all that, simply keep them at room temperature like the manufacturers recommend.