Can someone please answer...

jvantin1

Reaction score
Guys,

I would really, really appreciate it if anyone could post whether they experienced shedding on topical spironolactone. No one has addressed this in the forums--it's mostly just how to mix your own stuff. I know I've asked this before, but have gotten no replies, which puzzles me.

I'm not trying to be difficult or stupid. Can I just ask why nobody ever addresses this? I'm hoping it's because you don't shed on spironolactone. But kevin at keratin.com says it's likely, Dr. Lee says there's absolutely no chance, and I don't know what's right. Frankly, I don't put much stock in the clinical studies--it's the anecdotal reports from a non-commericial site that I trust most.

Please don't advise me to try Rogaine. I know BruceLee and I had an exchange about this and Rogaine, which I just do not wish to chance, because I just don't believe that the hair ALWAYS grows back after a massive shed. I've read too many posts from women--on all boards, everywhere--that say this.

So: I'm scared to use the 3 jars of spironolactone I bought. You guys can respond to every Ded Prez post (no offense, Ded). Can you please respond to this one?

I don't care if I get razzed for this post, if you could please just answer the question. Thanks.

funkster

Reaction score
Hi jvantin1

I've been using topical spironolactone (5% cream and 2% solution) and have not noticed any shedding.

When you think about what spironolactone is actually doing - competing for the receptor sites - then it seems unlikely that it would cause a shed.

I say this because when you look at spironolactone's mediocre results in vivo (compared with in vitro tests), due to poor absorption and being locally metabolised, the chances of it saturating follicles and causing huge imbalances are slim.

Shedding on 5aR inhibitors (finasteride/dutasteride) is linked to hormone imbalance/ upregulation etc - factors that, IMO, are not relevant with topical spironolactone. So I really don't think you should be concerned about shedding whilst using topical spironolactone, especially if you're not going to use minoxidil.

btw - about your decision not to use minoxidil - if all you need to so is maintain, then fine - you can avoid minoxidil, but if you really do need to get some regrowth, you're going to have to start using something else.

FYI, I've been on xandrox (minoxidil + azelaic acid) for 5 months and I've had no noticeable shedding.

jvantin1

Reaction score
Thanks, Funkster.

Yes, I'd be happy to just maintain, thus no Rogaine. I thought the same thing about spironolactone not triggering a shed--after all, it doesn't regrow, just reduces DHT--but kevin seems to think that anything that changes the hormonal environment of the follicles could cause shedding.

BTW: how long have you been using spironolactone? And are you pleased with it?

Thanks again for your reply.

funkster

Reaction score
hey jvantin1

I've been using spironolactone for around 5 months and 17a-estradiol for about 4 months. I rotate the two, as my last nightly topical application. This double treatment acts as a receptor blocker whilst also reducing Testosterone level (maybe significant with hairline loss whilst on dutasteride)

Whilst it's true that hormonal imbalance could cause shedding, I personally don't think the risks with spironolactone are enough, nor the anecdotal negative evidence sufficiently compelling, to not use topical spironolactone. In fact, most people are either happy with it, or say it did little if anything. Very few people are only on spironolactone and nothing else *and* experinece shedding. It's likely that some of the reported shedding experienced whilst on spironolactone was due to other treatments, such as minoxidil or propecia/dutasteride, and not spironolactone alone.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not shed from spironolactone, for me spironolactone was the ace i needed to propel me into regrowth phase. NOW I assume that you consulted Dr. Lee in regards to spironolactone and gender variances. If he says spironolactone is suitable for women than from my anecdotal experience (as a male) I say go for it. I also assume you are using a copper sollution such as folligen or Tricomin ( I prefer Folligen). Also hope you use Nizoral.

good luck

jvantin1

Reaction score
Hi Cosmo,

Yes, I'm using Folligen as well as the spironolactone. I wonder why kevin would say that the topical stuff would trigger shedding?

If I may ask...how long after starting the spironolactone did you first start to see growth?

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
on my second bottle of Lee's spironolactone I started to notice an increase in density.

good luck