Can spironolactone on the Hairline Cause Recession?

VT27

Reaction score
I've been using Dr. Lee's 5% spironolactone cream on my hairline. I seems like my recession has gotten worse more rapidly while using it. I'm at least a NW3 and since starting the spironolactone it seems the loss at my temples has extended further down the sides of my head than before. Further back as well, but the loss edging towards the sides concerns me. It looks like the hair all the way down my side burns is disappearing as well, as in all my hair looks like it receeding not just up in the temples :shock:

I've asked Dr. Lee about this but haven't gotten a response from him yet.

My hair is pretty d*mn bad overall and I've got Avodart and am planning on starting it soon but I'd prefer to keep using the spironolactone on my hairline while on dutasteride for some added protection. That is unless spironolactone is somehow making thigns worse for me.

Any reason why hair anywhere on the head would be negatively affected by spironolactone?

Goingat20

Reaction score
I dont think its the spironolactone, i think your hairloss is just accelerating. So i would suggest keep using the spironolactone,start the dutasteride and see how things go.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, don't you just love how hair loss can get stronger with age?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
yeah, don't you just love how hair loss can get stronger with age?

Really. I thought hairloss will slow down with age. Coz DHT levels go down. I dont remember where i read it. I was really hoping my hairloss would decrease now :(

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing too if spironolactone cream had accelerated some recession on my left temple area. I started the spironolactone cream in June 06 applying it once/day on my hairline while still being on finasteride for 12 months and counting. It's been about 4 months and my left temple area has receded some in that short of time but my right has been somewhat ok. I don't know if it's just a coincidence and if my left would have receded anyway had I not applied the spironolactone. Nevertheless, it's still discouraging that the spironolactone didn't help halt the recession. On the other hand, ever since I started to use the 2% spironolactone liquid on my crown area starting from June, I've gotten rid of this dull pain/slight itch sensation in the areas that were thinning and so my crown has held up ok. So instead, I'm going to try the spironolactone 2% liquid on my hairline as well and see if that will help better than the cream.