Can you help me with these questions

concernedmom

Reaction score
Hello everyone....I am not sure if I am even doing this log on right. I am a concerned mother and my major concern is for my son who will be having a hair transplant in two weeks.... He wants to do this and of course I am concerned...... I have heard very good things about the outcome of transplants and the NY Dr (can I mention his name?) that he will be going to. My cousin had recommend this office to us. If you can give us insight on what to expect and maybe some important tips that would help.. I would apppreciate it. These are a few questions that come to mind.....will there be swelling, will he be in much pain either scar or transplants, should he be watched through the first evening? He now hides his thining hair very well with a product called Toppik......and no one knows. Can he use this product in 4 days when he returns to work or is there a better product. I had a career in cosmetology which is why I am taking a interested in this subject for my son......... I would prefer that he not use these products for awhile but he will not do that..... Please help...worrried and concerned mother.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. First you should definitely let us know the name of the doctor. It's always good to have as many opinions about the Doctor as possible. Second, depending on the type and degree of hairloss your son has, he may or may not be able to hide the hair transplant well. Is it thin all over, receding in the front, balding in the crown or any combination of these? Third, swelling and pain are dependent on the patient's physiology, although it is the case that most people experience some swelling anytime from 1-4 days after the procedure. He may be in some pain but that's all part of the procedure. It's not unbearable and so long as he keeps after it with the pain medication he should be fine.

One more thing, if he can, he is going to want to take some more time off of work. Four days post op is going to be difficult to conceal for most patients even with moderate to little hairloss.

concernedmom

Reaction score
Thank you for your response...I am not sure if I am doing this right. .I see that 9 people viewed my email but I only received your reply, thanks. Dr Doran will add approximately 1600 crafts in the hairline and around the top, my son is 26 years old. Dr Doran will evaluate his hair again the day of surgery and determine if he could add more transplants. He is not adding to the top center because he feels he has enough hair there right now. He is also not going to put any on the lower crown because they do not know how far he will recede as he ages and they will target this area last.....He looked into so many other avenues of hair replacement and he feels that this is the best for his lifestyle and age.

theanimator

Reaction score
Hi,

I can only speak from my transplant experience I had in January. The only pain I felt was from the numbing needles. The donor area was sore for a few weeks after the transplant...it felt like a bruise to me. After 4 days your son should have a bunch of scabbing in his transplanted area. Since you said he's getting his hairline done, I think it would be tough to cover scabs with Toppix. I would suggest he wait until all the scabs have fallen out before using it (days 8-11) Also, depending on your sons skin color, after the transplanted hairs around his hairline fallout, you can expect to see some redness in the area. Some people use makeup/concealer to cover this up.

I think the doctors suggestions about where not to transplant for now are good ones.

Also, the doctor should prescribe some pain pills. So, your son shouldn't feel much discomfort the first week after surgery.

Best of Luck

s.a.f

Reaction score
concernedmom said:
Hello everyone....I am not sure if I am even doing this log on right. I am a concerned mother and my major concern is for my son who will be having a hair transplant in two weeks.... He wants to do this and of course I am concerned...... I have heard very good things about the outcome of transplants and the NY Dr (can I mention his name?) that he will be going to. My cousin had recommend this office to us. If you can give us insight on what to expect and maybe some important tips that would help.. I would apppreciate it. These are a few questions that come to mind.....will there be swelling, will he be in much pain either scar or transplants, should he be watched through the first evening? He now hides his thining hair very well with a product called Toppik......and no one knows. Can he use this product in 4 days when he returns to work or is there a better product. I had a career in cosmetology which is why I am taking a interested in this subject for my son......... I would prefer that he not use these products for awhile but he will not do that..... Please help...worrried and concerned mother.

You should do a search on this forum on Dorin to see what his previous patients have to say.
The things that concern me about your post are firstly what is your son doing to halt any further hairloss, what will he do if he eventually goes totally bald? Remember he will have a scar.
And talking of which 4 days is not long enough to have off work. (I had 5 wks) Is he going to have the recipient area shaved down? Thats quite common practice.

concernedmom

Reaction score
Am I replying to the last person that wrote me? I think... My son has done everything. Propecia for over a year with very little success..so he choice to stop since there are many effects we still don't know.....He is on Rogaine twice a day and has been for several years. Is the scar you are talking about in the back? No one will see that.. He has very thick donor hair in that area.... Family pattern of baldness still has this hair. I am trying to do a search on Dr. Doran.... Nothing is coming up. Where do I search?

JumpingHair

Reaction score
Hi Concernedmom,

An hair transplant is a big decision, there are loads of hair transplant surgeons out there. Some better then others and some that are butchers. I am surprised your son does not realise he will need more then 5 days off work this suggests he hasn't done much research into Hair Transplants. He would need a minimum of 2-3 weeks at best.

I personally have never heard of Dr Doran so I can't comment on his work.
What i suggest your son to do is, if he hasn't already is look at Doran's patients results. Look at other hair transplant Doctors patients. Meet some patients in person. This is what i did. It took me roughly 2 years of research before i decided to go through with an hair transplant and pick a suitable doctor.

Make sure your son isn't rushing into anything. Get him on these forums so he knows exactly what an hair transplant entails.

By the way my Mom was concerned as well :) ,

All the best for your son

JH

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
concernedmom said:

Well first I would get some info on Dr Doran. There are much better (and if he's in NY probably much cheaper Dr's around. I would hold off until you can see many before/after photos and a live patient or two.

I doubt any Dr is going to want toppik on the grafts 4 days post op.

The numbing shots do hurt but they aren't that bad. He will have some swelling and be in a little pain for 2-4 days (swelling may last longer) and his head will be numb in some areas for about 6 - 10 weeks.

He is going to have to stay on Propecia to protect the hair he has or he will be back for hair transplant #2 very quickly. He also only has about 6K donor hair so he has to protect his native hair every way he can and that includes Propecia.

If money isn't an issue he might want to go FUE as he won't have a linear scar on his head.

I hope he has consulted with at lest 3 top hair transplant DR's before he made this decision

s.a.f

Reaction score
HT55 said:
[Well first I would get some info on Dr Doran. There are much better (and if he's in NY probably much cheaper Dr's around. I would hold off until you can see many before/after photos and a live patient or two.
I doubt any Dr is going to want toppik on the grafts 4 days post op.

The numbing shots do hurt but they aren't that bad. He will have some swelling and be in a little pain for 2-4 days (swelling may last longer) and his head will be numb in some areas for about 6 - 10 weeks.
He is going to have to stay on Propecia to protect the hair he has or he will be back for hair transplant #2 very quickly. He also only has about 6K donor hair so he has to protect his native hair every way he can and that includes Propecia.

If money isn't an issue he might want to go FUE as he won't have a linear scar on his head.

I hope he has consulted with at lest 3 top hair transplant DR's before he made this decision
:agree:
Especially about the propecia (finasteride) you can get cheaper generic brands but its important to realise that its all about halting your hairloss to stop it getting worse not about regrowing anything.
Also if he's never had a op before I expect he will feel very sore for a few days.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
JumpingHair said:
Haha check the first full face result on Dr Dorans website.
check the t-shirt hes wearing... what the?
:roll:

http://www.truedorin.com/patientsresults.php?id=51

Armani managed to advertise on anothers Dr Website
Good result though.

JH

f*****g hysterical!!! Great post! At first I was like wtf...and then I was like Oh yeah!