Capovin's Story

Capovin

Reaction score
I've been lurking around the forums for awhile but this is my first post. This thing is destroying me. I first noticed I was going bald at 19 nothing noticeable but I knew my hair was changing. At twenty i started getting comments from my friends (i had long curly/wavy hair at the time) that they could see a kind of "bald spot" where my cowlick at the back of my head was. I acted like it wasnt anything, hey my dad has an n3 at 68 so i couldnt be balding right? Wrong. At twenty one years old i quit drinking (major alcohol problems) and during a medical check up asked my doctor if i was going bald and the answer was of course "yes". I bought some rogaine foam immediately and started use at this point i was an Nw2 and most didnt even believe i was balding when i told them. It worked fine i guess but my hair was still slowly thinning so i discontinued use stupidly. (i also used propecia for around 6 months). So i used those bothe for 6 months or so, stopped and my hair was alright for awhile till about 5 months later, i started to really see the crown thinning without searching for it, so i went to NHI for a consult (i live in la) i was not a candidate for a transplant but i should get on propecia. I saw no immediate results but ive been on it for about a year and a half now, even though im not sure if its really working. Anyway started to bald much faster, had a couple more check ups with NHI and now im on minoxidil again, first used rite aid liquid minoxidil for 3 months, and now im reaching the end of 3 months on rogaine liquid. Im an actor, so this isnt very good for my career and its a frequent source of depression, i seem to be losing my hair VERY rapidly on the top of my head, i constantly wear a hat, use toppik or shave my head to try to hide the fact that im balding, but now a director friend of mine is making me grow my hair out for a part and it is not looking good for me. None of this stuff seems to work im really starting to lose it. Any advice/suggestions? The pic below, I buzzed my head to the skin about 3.5 weeks ago, and now i'm letting it grow out...

Attachments

• IMG_0328wqwf.jpg
    IMG_0328wqwf.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 161

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My hairloss battle

If your an actor, Toppik or any other concealer might do the trick for now. Especially with your type of hairloss, and style (short hair with diffuse thinning works best for it).

The next step would be taking the 'Big 3' consisting of Minoxidil, Finasteride and Ketaconazol shampoo (Nizoral in USA I think) and see how well you react on it this time. But it's better to stay on it for longer than a few months to see full results..

EDIT: Read the full story, seems like you've been on meds for a while longer than I read before... Sorry.

You could try Dutasteride if you think finasteride isn't doing much for you...? Take a look at the options you have for treathments, and make a decision based on that.

Capovin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, yeah toppik does work very well for me but its not going to if things keep going like this, the weird thing is at the one year mark on finasteride, i had gained back some density at the crown, but then i started minoxidil in hopes to regrow more hair and 6 months later its lookin bad. Im gonna switch to foam an see how that worka coa maybe im noy doing it right. Ive also kept my head shaved mostly for the past six months could this affect how the meds work?

EDIT: i also want to add that at nhi i was told that i wasnt going "bald" per say but that i was "thinning" i dont know what the difference is...