Carm90's Story - ( Alopecia Areata-Totalis to Universalis)

carm90

Reaction score
I am a married male 53. My hair loss expereince began with Alopecia Areata in college at age 21. Alopecia Areata progressed in my twenties to Totalis. Alopecia Totalis progressed in mid thirties to Universalis.
I have tried various treatments over the years including Prednisone, Puva, DNCB and Cyclosporine. Prednisone and Cyclosporine facilitated hair grouth but due to their long term side effects can not be continued for extended periods. As soon as the treatment stopped I experienced rapid hair loss. Due to the emotional rollercoaster of hair growth and loss I decided several years ago not to seek treatment until some new treatment based on autoimmune system suppression is discovered.
I have learned to deal with my hair loss and as I get older I wear wigs less and less. My experience with wigs is that I have yet to find any that are comfortable to wear for extended periods. I have also determined that you do not need to spend a lot of mony on a wig to have it look, fit and feel good.
Alopecia Universalis has effected me in some social situations as I always think in the back of my ming that people are wondering what is wrong with me. I recently began explaining to people what I have and that I am perfectly healthy but completely smooth! My wife and family and friends are very supportive and the reality of it is that there are far worse things that can happen to you. I play in a blues rock band and no one seems to care about my hair when I am laying down some good blues guitar!!!