Castration

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was interested to read this at

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/qna/Detail. ... word=SOD's

bret johnson asked: " Dear Dr. Proctor, If one would have to chose between reducing DHT topically, or using a topical SOD, which would be best in your opinion? I noted that in an article of yours you state that DHT/androgens might start the process, but it becomes immunological later on, and you stress the importance of SOD's. Many thanks for you time"

Dr Peter H. Proctor, PhD MD answered: "
SOD's. Antiandrogenization is somewhat limited in causing reversal. We know this because even castration plus powerful systemic antiandrogens, as used in the treatment of prostate cancer, do not reverse balding much.

This is about as antiandrogenic as you can be. Yet it wosrks litte, if any better than Finasteride or topical spironolactone.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD, MD BRwww.drproctor.com

This to me says that there is not a really compelling reason to use dutasteride over finasteride and topical anti-androgens if you are on finasteride. It seems to be the case that if castration does not reverse balding much then the most people should be expecting on a solid regimen such as the Big 3 is maintenance and not be disillusioned with achieving massive gains and the head of hair they had at 18.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
It seems to be the case that if castration does not reverse balding much then the most people should be expecting on a solid regimen such as the Big 3 is maintenance and not be disillusioned with achieving massive gains and the head of hair they had at 18.
This conclusion does not follow from your premises, since the big 3 includes minoxidil, which is a regrowth agent that ignores DHT. What does follow is combatting DHT by itself probably won't lead to much regrowth, but we already knew that.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
This conclusion does not follow from your premises, since the big 3 includes minoxidil, which is a regrowth agent that ignores DHT.

Yes, 5% minoxidil produces round about a 35% increase in hair weight and in conjunction with finasteride will produce a more favourable hair count than base line.

mvpsoft said:
What does follow is combatting DHT by itself probably won't lead to much regrowth, but we already knew that

Do you speak on behalf of the forum? What about people who are new to the forum who aren't as wise as you.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the more realistic people are with treatment the less likely they are to give up treatments because they haven't regrown an appreciable amount of hair.

I concede the above example I gave was misleading but if people lowered their expectations slightly and moved the goal posts from regrowth to maintenance then they would be much more tolerant with their regimens.