Chances

ryangern

Reaction score
guys how good of a chance do i have to get thickness back to my hair looking at the char that trent gave me i dont think im quite a norwood 2 yet but my hair is generally thinning all over my temples have receded slightly but not like a norwood 2, if i am on finasteride right now and nizoral shampoo what % chance do u guys think i have to get my thickness back and keep the hair i have???? and to make it stop shedding??

Axon

Reaction score
There's no way to answer that question with any form of accuracy. However, if you haven't been balding for more than 5 years, you have a good shot at solid recovery.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i agree with the above. 83% of propecia users maintained or regrew hair. that's about the only physical evidence you can get. and you're using nizoral so that may be slightly higher.

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Trent8 said:
i agree with the above. 83% of propecia users maintained or regrew hair. that's about the only physical evidence you can get. and you're using nizoral so that may be slightly higher.

and this reminds me... You can break that 83% down even further between those who more or less just maintained and those who saw good re-growth.

My question is, where does hair "thickening" (thickening of existing hairs) actually fall under as far as the study? Maintenance or re-growth?

Axon

Reaction score
That'd be regrowth. Remember, techinically, all "regrowth" is a process of thickening and adding strength to the root follicle.

You'll never get more hair than you originally had, you'll just grow back your hairline as it was originally. It won't go lower.

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
That'd be regrowth. Remember, techinically, all "regrowth" is a process of thickening and adding strength to the root follicle.

You'll never get more hair than you originally had, you'll just grow back your hairline as it was originally. It won't go lower.

Yeah, I suppose that's true... I've just seen some people tossing around the comment that they didn't really re-grow back much of the hair they lost but rather what they had left just got thicker so that's what got me wondering. :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
MacDruid, I am one of the people who threw around that comment. But, you have to keep in mind that my male pattern baldness is probably a bit more advanced than most. My temples, I had written them off years ago... so the fact that I have taken three-quarters of an inch of the tops of them is a GREAT thing. I can live with a 'widow's peak' hairline, I just wanted to save my center-forehead hair, that narrow patch of hair between my temples that started to thin badly, which would have left me with a nice horseshoe.

My regimen has completely reversed this. My center forehead hair is growing long and strong, amazingly so! Even though it is not 'regrowth', it is a godsend for me in terms of cosmetic styleability. Sometimes, improvement of existing hair actually exceeds my expectations in terms of my 'total look' than I had going into my treatment when I was thinking of a possible serious hairline lowering. I look great! I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but, I am just saying that the thickening of my existing hair has made a more of a cosmetic improvement for me overall than I could ever have dreamed of.

Now, if you are younger in your male pattern baldness experience, then perhaps your experience will be different. Catching it earlier means that your follicles have had less time to degenerate, and you have had less time to 'get used to' having a 'high forehead' so to speak.

In a nutshell, our minoxidil or regimen experiences will differ from person to person. You can't take the particulars of what one person says is 'good response, but modest hairline recovery' as a rule for all. The earlier you catch it, the earlier you can improve it... minoxidil, statistically speaking, will improve your hairline. What, exactly, that means for you depends more on your starting point than your ending point.

Cheers! Gard

oni

Reaction score
Well, we and mother (the ships computer) have collated some data and I am sorry you might as well piss in the wind. I have come up with one chance but it's a long shot, it involves changing your name to Ripley and getting a ginger pussy. I hope this helps.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
oni said:
Well, we and mother (the ships computer) have collated some data and I am sorry you might as well piss in the wind. I have come up with one chance but it's a long shot, it involves changing your name to Ripley and getting a ginger pussy. I hope this helps.

That invaribly ends with bad dinner etiquette and holes in your shirt.

As to the topic, it's a wait-and-see game. If you are on a regimen and stick to it, you are doing everything you can for your chances.

Scott J

Reaction score
I sure hope you people are correct about the 5 year thing.It has been almost exactly 5 years ago that I started to notice my hair on top getting thinner.If I could get back to them days I would be one VERY happy man.

Axon

Reaction score
Scott J said:
I sure hope you people are correct about the 5 year thing.It has been almost exactly 5 years ago that I started to notice my hair on top getting thinner.If I could get back to them days I would be one VERY happy man.

Don't expect 5 years worth of recovery. Expect one, realistically.

Deaner

Reaction score
Which is exactly why I wish I'd done something about this sooner... all the time before I ever turned 18, I coulda been saving my temples with some very simple Rogaine application to the temples, then got on finasteride and had my temples all saved... At least the diffuse was only in the past year or so.

HondaCBR600RR

Reaction score
Axon said:
Scott J said:

Don't expect 5 years worth of recovery. Expect one, realistically.

Why then even try?
I need to get 10 years back.

Axon

Reaction score
You MIGHT be a great responder. But realistically, you'll probably hit the curve on recovery, which IMHO is one to two years. But keep in mind, everyone is different.

Further, any improvement is a big boost to confidence, and certainly stopping hair loss is golden as well.

You really can't put a label on how many "years" you're going to recover; I'm just doing it here for simplicity's sake. The 5 year mark is considered convential wisdom because, on the average, it takes that long to develop a slick bald spot, which really means that the root follicle has shrunk so much as to become invisible to the naked eye.

So if you start a regimen before you get slick bald patches, you've got a good chance at some recovery and a great shot at maintaining. How much cannot be predicted, but I think it's worth the time (20 minutes a day) and the effort (minimal).

Scott J

Reaction score
Axon thanks for bursting my bubble :evil: .No, really if I went back one or two years I'd still be happy.If I just keep what I have I'll be happy.Yes,it's thin.Yes,it's obvious.No, I do not look hideous and still get pussy,but I think it helps that I joke around about it to help make it look like I'm not hung up on it.Deep down you all know that I do think about it alot :(

Axon

Reaction score
I hear you man. I just want everyone to have realistic expectations - if you hope for too much, you'll be inevitably let down. If you don't have a slick bald patch on your crown, you have a good chance at improving that area. Same thing with the hair line - do you have small, short hairs that never grow past a certain length where your hairline used to be?

You never know how much regrowth you get till you try. I've seen some amazing responders - Funkster, Seattle Rock....it's hard to tell. You could be the next legend who will never visit a hair loss forum again, or you could just be average.

Even though my hair has gotten so much better, it's not perfect and it still bothers me. Most can't tell, but I can, and that's really all that matters.