Charmer's Story - (47/started losing it 1 yr ago)

charmer

Reaction score
Hello guys.....

My friends call me Charmer and I just started on Proecia a few weeks ago. I was on this forum a few times but never had the courage to join so I built up the courage today and registered. I am 47 years old and starting loosing my hair about 1 year ago. Hope to find allot of good and helpful info here as well as contribute what I have learned.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
ok... how bad is your hair loss?

alot of people here are fans of the big 3 you might want to consider trying it

GNUist (formerly FC)

Established Member
Reaction score
charmer said:
I was on this forum a few times but never had the courage to join so I built up the courage today and registered.

What do you mean you "never had the courage" to sign up? What were you afraid? What kind of courage does it take to sign up to an anonymous website and ask a question? :)

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude I hate to sound like a dick but I can't feel for a guy who STARTED losing his hair at 46. You easily had 27 years of better hair than I had when I started to lose it at 19. Try losing it when virtually NONE of your friends have male pattern baldness and you feel like an outcast amongst a group of people who you've known your whole life.

47? Really? I'd kill to be in that position. At this point, for you, it's about getting older. Are you also frequenting forums that discuss wrinkles and poorer eyesight. It's called aging. And if you're not ready to age when you're 47 and should be ready to do so, then imagine aging prematurely at 20 when it's forced upon you by fucked genetics.

Killer Wu

Reaction score
Hello Charmer,
Welcome to the forum. I would not be discouraged by the negative posts you have received thus far. Unfortunately, hair loss for certain people can result in directing their anger towards the wrong people. Many users on this forum are younger men, and the older men seem to get dismissed as unimportant. Regardless of a person's age, seeing a difference in one's own appearance can be unsettling for anyone.
Hopefully, since your hair loss is starting relatively later in life, it possibly will not result in a significant change in your appearance. Generally speaking, hair loss is a gradual process and you are taking active steps to counteract it. One thing to expect is a shedding period, where hair is "shed" and new hair hopefully replaces it. I would encourage you to direct any questions regarding treatments to a knowledgeable GP or dermatologist. Good luck with your treatment.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My dad started losing his hair around your age. He's 58 and the loss has stopped now, he's maybe a NW3V or NW4. The good thing about starting to lose your hair in your mid-40's is that it probably won't be that bad. You're never going to look like Homer Simpson, or at least its not very likely.
Is it a receding hairline or a thinning crown? If its the hairline, I wouldn't bother with propecia, as many say it doesnt work there.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dont need the test. I just have slow male pattern baldness. which i should be thankful for. Hate seeing 19yr old guys loosing it fast.

For 23 im doing ok for 4years of this sh*t. I have done enough reading on this to know its male pattern baldness. If you look at my hairline on pg1 you can see the thinning in the center. My hair has improved on finasteride aswell which shows dht is the culprit.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
dont need the test. I just have slow male pattern baldness. which i should be thankful for. Hate seeing 19yr old guys loosing it fast.

For 23 im doing ok for 4years of this sh*t. I have done enough reading on this to know its male pattern baldness. If you look at my hairline on pg1 you can see the thinning in the center. My hair has improved on finasteride aswell which shows dht is the culprit.

Now we're in the wrong thread!
If you're losing hair very slowly, from 19 to 23... I think that actually supports my theory that its a mature hairline. When did your mom's dad go bald? How old? It is completely natural for the center of the hairline to rise with age, and have no balding at all. If your hair has improved on finasteride... then yeah DHT is the culprit. But DHT is also what makes your hairline mature, so you may be holding off the process of a maturing hairline.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're balding. But guys that start balding at 19 tend to be the ones that lose it quick. So, if it's slow and you're 23, I doubt that you're balding. I don't want to get your hopes up or anything, but looking at the pictures, it sounds like there's about a 99.9999999% chance of it being a maturing hairline.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Killer Wu said:
Hello Charmer,
Welcome to the forum. I would not be discouraged by the negative posts you have received thus far. Unfortunately, hair loss for certain people can result in directing their anger towards the wrong people. Many users on this forum are younger men, and the older men seem to get dismissed as unimportant. Regardless of a person's age, seeing a difference in one's own appearance can be unsettling for anyone.
Hopefully, since your hair loss is starting relatively later in life, it possibly will not result in a significant change in your appearance.

I used to think this way. Stick around and talk to me in a year.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Killer Wu pretty much said what I would have said. Just remember Propecia does not work as well on people in their 40's and older but there have been some cases it has. Minoxidil with Propecia maybe more effective but since most of it is age related your probably better off with copper peptides such as Proctor's line of hair loss treatments which is for all types of loss. I think some people on here need to stop measuring who has it worse. We older guys know you younger guys have it alot worse and we support your "pain". However, we also know its "normal" to lose hair as we age but sometimes when we see that small percent of people who are the same age or older who have never had any hair loss, it because a moment of envy just like you younger guys have toward us older guys. Just wait until you get to that age. If you are complaining now, you will be complaining about something else then. Its so easy to say in your 20's that you would not worry about hair loss if it happened later in life. Nobody wants to lose hair may it be from chemo or natural causes. Hair is a sign of youth and some people just find it hard to get old just like you find it hard to lose your hair. You think when you get in your 40's you are just going to stop caring how you look. Trust me, if hairloss bothers you now, wait until you expericence gray hairs, wrinkles, lose muscle tone, your height starts shrinking, arthritis, joint pain and hot looking women no longer pay attention to you( some of you young people complain of that now in your 20's about hairloss being a curse when it comes to women). I always care about how I "look". So does mostly everyone. So stop kicking us older guys off to the curb just because we started later in life with hair loss. Who knows maybe we were losing hair very slowly earlier and never paid attention to it until now. Regardless, Charmer has a right to tell his story, get some support and it would be nice if everyone respected his post.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
BodyDysmorphic said:
IMO i think we should all be sympathetic to any hair loss at any age

Yeah I'm 50 and a NW2. God help me my life is over!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
i guess your right LOL

but hair loss sucks

however if this was happening to me in my mid forties i guess i would just accept it

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
It does suck, no matter how old I'm sure. But lately it's become more frustrating to see older guys who've had good hair in their 20's come here and complain to those of us who don't. I suppose I shouldn't be so much of a dick about it though.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
well your just saying what a lot of us are thinking

i think you may have a worser case of male pattern baldness for your young age which REALLY sucks

but what can you do? it's in our genes

i personally like how intense you are! you give it Straight UP

no sugar coating with you and thats very respectable

Route66

Reaction score
I'm 42. Some guys on this forum have it much worse than others, and age is a big factor in that, e.g. NW3 at 19 is much worse than NW5 at 40, I'm sure. My hair loss problem is somewhat unusual, though (Alopecia Areata, as well as male pattern baldness). Whilst I'm not looking for a pissing contest, my predicament is, probably, worse than a NW2 at 21.

It doesn't matter, though, as EVERYONE who's genuinely losing hair has a right to be here, and their problem should be respected.

And PG isn't a dick. He's a decent guy who's been dealt a sh*t hand. His frustration is perfectly understandable.