Choose the right vitamins; inflammation, cortizol, oxidation

Defiance

Established Member
Reaction score
Righto, so recently iv'e been hearing alot about inflammation, cortisol, and oxidation increasing the sensativity of the androgen receptors in the scalp. And how using vitamins to lower this can have a significant impact on helping stop hairloss especially when used synergisticly with finasteride.

i found this site quite interesting http://www.hairloss-research.org/february1.html

Heres a snipet from the site ^

DHT inhibition- Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Rivoflavin, Green Tea Extract, Copper, Peptides, and Topical Bayberry Extract.

PKC down regulation - Grape Seed Extract, Resveratrol, Vitamin E, Soy Isoflavones.

TNF-a down regulation- Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Stinging Nettle Extract, Green Tea Extract, Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Perilla Oil, and Topical Perilla leaf extract.

TGF down regulation- Curcumin, and topical Amacha.

I am about to buy some of these supplements, namely curcumin, grape seed extract, and green tea (already take fish oil and vitamin e)

^ Do you think these are the most effective/ important. I dont want be popping pills like jelly beans so would like to limit to afew.

I am still unclear on this subject and have some questions

- Is inflammation always associated with male pattern baldness?, even if i dont have an itchy or agravated scalp will taking anti inflammation supplements have a positive effect on my male pattern baldness?
- Still unclear on lowering cortizol etc and how this could help slow male pattern baldness
- Are there any other supplements that are worth looking at or should take instead?

CCS

Reaction score
Taking some of that stuff internally could give you side effects. Fish oil and borageseed oil are good for general health. Pills often have magnesium steerate, to lubricate the powder, but it is a transfat that is bad for you. You can get cheap bulk borageseed oil at mountain rose herbs.

Green tea is on most of your lists. Buy EGCG (from green tea) and apply it topically. It is anti-inflammatory, antii-oxidant, androgen receptor blocker, and 5ar1 blocker. Not sure how strong or how much you can get down to your follicles, but you can buy it pure and cheap.

I'd also use topical beta sitosterol from pure bulk. Cheap and pure. Well, 40% but the rest is other sterols.

As for vitamin E, you want natural tocotrienols. They were shown to regrow hair.

Definitely use topical minoxidil. It is very cheap, and lots of regrowth shown.

Either use internal finasteride, or at least topical spirolonactone, or both. But the EGCG may be a weaker substitute for the spironolactone.

Then nizoral shampoo and piroctone olamine. Piroctone olamine is in ginger bodyshop, also in TGel greasy and TGel Dry, and also in Alpecin double effect. I want to email to see how much in each. Alpecin has a lot of perfume though.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that article! I was actually taking regular resveratrol as combined with curcumin, but I found it is thyroid suppressive, so I quickly dropped it again.

I am not sure about grape seed extract, but if it's not thyroid suppressive then I will be taking it as well :)

For cortisol, I believe the best things are magnesium, vitamin C and adaptogens like ashwagandha. However cortisol is unlikely to be high unless you are under stress. Bear in mind that ash increases/balances testosterone, but I believe that's a good thing. Holy Basil is an option that actually LOWERS testosterone and estrogen, but whether this is desirable is questionable.

Oxidative stress erm, SODs should ease that up (copper peptides or SOD spray), any systemic antioxidant, glisodin, stuff like that.

Hope that helps anyway, and yes I too am very interested in green tea extracts and grape seed extract :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Ugh thing is man I want to say Resveratrol is amaaazing because it seems perfect - it increases T, lowers E, and downregulates PKC. It's just the last thing I want to do right now is suppress my thyroid ._.

That's why I might go for some kind of ashwagandha/GSE/DIM combo.

Defiance

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks CCS i should of specified i am already taking all the usual stuff, was more looking at herbal supplements.

Cheers Hop so resveratrols out, shame i was considering taking this (waht my mum takes for general health) has some good ingredients in it
http://www.abouthealth.co.nz/wa.asp?idW ... 1402&UN=ou

I think i will just run with curcumin with bioperine, grape seed 300mg (highest mg i could find on iherb), and maybe chuck in green tea extract

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Your cortisol levels are a response to the harmful stimuli that you're trying to avoid. You don't want to interfere with your bodies production of it because then it won't be able to respond properly to the inflammation.

Grape seed supplements are Resveratrol supplements.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Your cortisol levels are a response to the harmful stimuli that you're trying to avoid. You don't want to interfere with your bodies production of it because then it won't be able to respond properly to the inflammation.

oh, I thought resveratrol came from the skins or red grapes, or Japanese Knotweed? Wouldn't the seeds have different properties?

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
explain thyroid suppression to me hoppi - i've been on grape seed extract for about a week now, i dun wanna be doin' meself harm now ye know?

Hoppi

Reaction score
I dunno man I just read about it here.

Weird thing is that res is warned against for people with hypothyroid or at a risk of a goiter, but grape seed extract seemed actually recommended for hypo.. god knows, I'll keep learning :)

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:

Partialy correct, if the cortisol levels are too high it is bad no matter what. It will actually call for the breack down of cells at worst and at best stop the cell from functioning optimally ie hair stop or slow growth.

You want to do two things (generally speacking) that is 1) increase your sensativity to cortisol and 2) optimise the level of exposure and time of exposure of cortisol ie optimal levels.

Optimal is what were are looking for here, not too low not too high.

But most importantly timing is verything. High cortisol in the evening that is sustained is going to = BAD!

Oh, wanted to add in. Grape Seed Extract (GSE) is not the same as Resveratrol.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Ah, the resveratrol/thyroid issue came up elsewhere and CS said as long as your intake of iodine (and selenium would help too) is high enough, you should be fine.

I am having a blood test later in the week, so I kinda hope things continue to point at hypothyroid, as I do believe that can cause male pattern baldness.