Chotown26's Story - (Age 21, Hypothyroidism)

Chitown26

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been on this site before but I've never really told my story. I'm 21 now, final year of college, and was diagnosed with both hypopituitarism and hypothyroidism 3 1/2 years ago. It was a big breakthrough because I was always short, still am sort of at 5'8, but I finally found an endocrinologist who would give me HGH, and I grew an inch since then after not growing any between age 16 and 18. Anyway, I was also put on Levothyroxine the fall of 2004, and over the next 2 years I noticed my hair was getting thinner quickly. By the summer of 2006, I could no longer style my hair like Matt Damon's in the Bourne movies. My bangs had no support to stay up like that. My hairline has receded at the temples, which looks like male pattern baldness, but it just stops there and the rest of my crown is thinning diffusely. This causes my vertex to look like I'm balding there but when I wet my hair and look at my vertex in the mirror, there is no patch. My hair has also become dry and tangled.

So, I've had blood tests once a year since my hypothyroidism diagnosis, and my thyroid levels appear normal, but I'm getting more and more convinced that my hair loss is a side effect of Levothyroxine. My endo quickly shot my theory down that I needed a T4/T3 combination. She says because my levels were normal, my hair loss has nothing to do with thyroid. So here are reasons why I think it's not male pattern baldness:
-all the males in my family history, 1 and 2 generations older than me, kept their hair at least into their 30s and 40s. My dad had thick full hair into his 40s, no diffuse thinning, just regular recession and thinning at the vertex beginning in his 50s.
-Started Levothyroxine in September 2004, could see my scalp near my hairline in June 2006, can now see my scalp everywhere on my crown (November 2007) under bright lights and definitely when hair is wet
-dry, tangled, coarse hair

Hypothyroidism is not very common in males, it seems, so it'll be hard to find an endocrinologist, IMO, that will believe this is due to thyroid-especially when male pattern baldness can start around my age. I plan to see my dermatologist soon to see what he thinks is the cause. You can do all this research on the internet only to make yourself sick, and then a simple visit to the doctor solves the problem. After that visit, I want to see a different endocrinologist, one that will be willing to either increase my dosage or change the medication to Armour or Thyrolar, something along those lines.

So does anyone here also have hypothyroidism, and did any go through similar troubles? I'm wondering about the hair loss patterns of thyroid disorders versus male pattern baldness. How did you convince the doctors that it was due to your thyroid disorder? Do you think I have a case? I'll upload some pictures soon too. Thanks everyone.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Premature Hair Loss...Hypothyroidism in males

you sure your hair loss was caused by it?

Chitown26

Reaction score

Well, I'm not entirely sure. I just think it is a little weird to go from a full head of hair to being able to see my scalp under bright lights and especially when my hair is wet in 3 years, especially from the ages of 18 - 21. I'm not sure how fast hair miniaturizes when male pattern baldness is the cause. Does 3 years seem quick? I think I might have some symptoms still of hypothyroidism, suggesting I'm either being under-treated or I need to take another medication. There are some problems associated with taking the generic forms of Levothyroxine, which I'm taking.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

Interesting-
Read my post here -
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42400

What I failed to mention is that I have been on Levothyroxine for about 1 1/2 years, I didn't even think about it as something that may have sped up my hairloss.
I'm going in to see my Doctor to discuss my doasage next week as I feel my dosage may need to be changed (Lethargic, mood swings, weight gain)
I went from .25 micrograms to my current dosage of 1.12 micrograms over the last year.
I'll ask my doctor if there is a link between the Levothyroxine and speeding up my hairloss (diffuse).

EDIT- the power of the internet

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/hairloss.htm

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/ECon...tle=LEVOTHYROXINE+(Oral)+(Tablet)+&cid=HTDRUG

Chitown26

Reaction score

Yes, certainly, diffuse hair loss is a symptom of thyroid disease. Although I think you mean you were taking 25 mcg and 112 mcg. .25 is way too low. I also have other symptoms like slow movements and reactions, mental fog, cold extremities occasionally, fatigue after a day at school. Do you also have dry hair?

Is this your problem with your hair as well, DiffusionGuy? Your hair needs to be twice as long to achieve the same thickness (from scalp to top of hair) as someone with normal hair? Just what I've noticed. My hair is about 2 inches long, but because my hair is so diffusely thin, it looks like my hair is only 1 inch long.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score

Chitown26 said:
Yes, certainly, diffuse hair loss is a symptom of thyroid disease. Although I think you mean you were taking 25 mcg and 112 mcg. .25 is way too low. I also have other symptoms like slow movements and reactions, mental fog, cold extremities occasionally, fatigue after a day at school. Do you also have dry hair?

Is this your problem with your hair as well, DiffusionGuy? Your hair needs to be twice as long to achieve the same thickness (from scalp to top of hair) as someone with normal hair? Just what I've noticed. My hair is about 2 inches long, but because my hair is so diffusely thin, it looks like my hair is only 1 inch long.

Your correct, it is 112 mcg.
I have fatigue and mental fog, my hair always tends to be on the dry side.

I have a lot of factors around the same time that could have affected me, but it's possible I started thinning due to my undiagnosed thyroid condition (started taking propecia at the first signs of thinning) and the combination of quitting propecia and starting the thyroid meds caused the diffusion i have now.

Like I said, I'm going to speak to my doctor about this, and hope that this "sheds" some light.
I won't be getting my hopes up too much though.

Take a look at my previous thread and tell me if you have similar diffusion.

Thanks

Chitown26

Reaction score

Yea, I looked at your pics, and although I've never shaved my head, I can see that your hair is really thin up front. My hair is the same way now. That's why the only hairstyle I can have is any that leaves the bangs down. I don't want to grow my hair too long because it would be way too flat on top. I really noticed this problem when I got a haircut and asked for a number 3 blade and a short cut on top. I definitely could see my scalp with bright light.

I've been keeping an eye on my vertex, too. I would imagine my hair would look the same as yours if I shaved mine. When I wet my hair, I don't have bald spot on my vertex. It's just uniformly thin everywhere.

You're right. We should not get our hopes up too much. I don't mind using Rogaine if it is male pattern baldness, but I'm afraid of shedding completely in college.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

You gotta understand hair will come back stronger after each shed.

It is rather scary, but if you are consistent and lucky, you will get some density back.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score
** UPDATE **

So I went to the Doctor to get my thyroid levels tested to see if I needed a change to my Levothyroxine dosage.
I asked my Doctor about the hairloss and the possibility of Levothyroxine causing the diffusion, and she just smirked at me and said lets make sure the thyroid levels are ok before we talk about switching meds.

Anyway, the blood work came back and my thyroid levels are fine.
Here is the surprise; while I was being examined, I mentioned that I recently started feeling a warm tingly sensation in my calf.
She said she would check my blood for B-12 deficiency.
Sure enough, the bloodwork came back with a deficiency, I now need to go in for monthly injections.

I did some research and I found this-
http://www.retane.com/hair-loss-treatme ... s-causes.h
Lack of Nutrition

Iron deficiency, which leads to the reduction of the number of red blood cells in a condition called anemia, can also cause general thinning of the hair. Zinc deficiency, often accompanied by skin diseases such as psoriasis, can also lead to hair loss and diffuse loss of hair. Vitamin B12 deficiency, commonly found in vegetarians because plant-derived food do not have this vitamin, can also be responsible.

The good news is that hair loss due to lack of nutrition is often the easiest to treat - providing nutrition either directly to your hair or through diet can help stop hair loss and restore hair growth.
tm

What do you guys think? Is this plausible?
Man, between the thyroid for life meds and the possibility of b12 shots for life i would hope something would go my way :badmood:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I will say 90% of male hair loss is caused by male pattern baldness, and more than 50% of the male will go through a long denial stage.