Chris' Story (22 / with pics!)

Christopher

Reaction score
I've posted here a couple of times, but I'd just like to share some pics with you guys and hear your opinions.

Basic things to know: I'm 22, I've been noticeably losing hair for a year and a half. I think I started taking propecia about 7 months ago. I discontinued my usage in late December -- not because I personally had any side effects but because of the horror stories I was hearing. When using propecia I had noticed my hair loss subside. After exhaustively thinking about it for awhile, I decided a few days ago to restart using propecia and I intend on filling in my receding hairline through a hair transplant at Hasson and Wong.

Christopher

Reaction score
Re: Chris' story

Why isn't it allowing me to update pictures?

In the meantime, might as well just explain that essentially I've lost a lot of hair around the temples, but no hair on my crown area really. I feel if I get a transplant (being very conservative minded of course about potential future hair loss) then I can at least regain a hairline and have a decent head of hair in my 20s. I cannot tell you how frustrating it has been the past year or so.

Also, what has made you guys decide to use propecia even knowing the possible ramifications? How did you justifiably quell your concerns over the drug?

I'd really appreciate some responses on these matters. I don't really have anyone else to talk to about all of this.

Christopher

Reaction score
Re: Chris' story

img0348n.jpg

img0356ig.jpg

img0189cs.jpg

Last one is me just getting out of bed... with hair. I kind of officially 'snapped' the other day and buzzed off my hair, even though I could have still gotten away with the combed forward look. I was just tired of the maintenance of it, and was also curious as to how I'd look with it cut really short. I obviously don't like it.. at all... hence my desire for a hair transplant in the front.

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Chris' story (w/ pics)

Hey Chistopher,

First of all, your hairloss in that last photo doesn't look bad at all. Maybe the buzzcut needs to grow on you. Anyways if you want to maintain then finasteride is probably a nessecary evil. I would really advise to NOT get a hairtransplant at such a young age, the rest might fall out and even though you'll look good in your twenties it will look really wierd once you grow older. If you want regrowth, try minoxidil or another growth agent. Also add a ketoconazol shampoo to your regimen (Nizoral, Revita etc).

I personally recommend using finasteride for a year, and then evaluate. I use finasteride aswell. I got it prescribed by my derm who listed me the possible side effects and he was very positive about it, then like you, I heard about the 'horror stories' after like 2-3 months. I, like you, quit but realised that if it would've fucked me over.. it probably already would have, and decided to continue and keep a close watch on my body.

I don't mean disrespect in regard to finasteride sufferers or something but there are millions of men using the drug. With that in mind, the chance is probably bigger of getting into a car accident. I asked my pharmacy how many there were in my district and it was 11 (around 20.000 live here). I know I would be very unhappy if I were to lose my hair. Also everything you eat, use, do has its potential dangers. For instance, coca cola light is gonna give you cancer, there are too much hormones in meat and diary, vegetables are full of chemicals. Another example: I traveled to indonesia this year and had to get several vaccinations, now I looked those up on the internet and there were horror stories about this too. It's just that because of the 'cosmetic' part of hairloss you feel guilty messing with it. On top of that, stories on the internet are highly speculative in nature. Maybe this is just me looking for a moral justification, but remember, the people complaining about sides would have stayed on the drug aswell if they didn't get them in the first place.

I do often consider quitting and just getting a hairpiece, since they look really good nowadays and finasteride isn't really a permanent solution (you might get sides it might stop working)

Good luck!

Christopher

Reaction score

Thanks for the response.

I had been on propecia for about 7 months with no side effects and I definitely felt like my hair loss has subsided. But your definitely right, going on the internet to find a representative story on the effects of propecia isn't a good idea. All you'll get is a myriad of horror stores that may or may not be connected to the drug, and furthermore, it's mostly going to be the people negatively effected that go on to gripe (and who knows their motives? Might not even be real people, just competitor companies trying to get a leg up by creating fake accounts). I've come to realize that millions of people take it and the cases of serious side effects are essentially as documented -- about 1-2 percent. Considering it hadn't effected me before, it shouldn't be a problem... I'll just have to monitor my body.

As for the hair transplant, well that's why I'm getting it... I want to have hair in my 20s. That's the whole point. As long as I have an overall plan that considers the potential for future hair loss, I don't see the problem with getting a conservative hair transplant now while leaving enough grafts for future coverage down the road.

joshua88

Established Member
Reaction score

Your comb forward style didn't look bad at all.

With buzzed hair you can see the areas where you are thinning.

So, don't wear your hair too short.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score

No hasson and wong as they are strip only. Believe me You don't want to get strip for such minor hairloss.