Chuck Norris (kicking hairloss in the growing)

chuck norris

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First off, thank you all for your excellent input on this forum. I'm quite new to treating hair loss so it helps a lot to read from your experiences. :punk:

I'm almost 27, Caucasian, I have straight hair, I keep it about 3-5cm long (1.25"-2") and I am what I believe a NW1. I know this is not bad, but it's not perfect either. One other problem I'm facing is that the top part of my hair (I'm not good with terminology) has thinned out.

All this started maybe 4 years ago and took it's course very very slow. I've been warned then by my hairstylist and also a few times by my current one that the top is thinner, but I didn't see anything wrong so I basically ignored the warnings. I thought there was no real problem but just last week I took a group picture and I noticed the freaking receded hairline like never before. Bloody hairline.

The good news is that I don't believe I'm loosing hair, because I don't leave any hair behind when I shower or when I run my hands through my hair. But on the large view I do think I'm balding at the same slow pace as before. I'll try to post some pics soon.

My goal is to get my awesome-always-complemented-and-envied hair back!!! However I would be more than happy to keep it as it is for the next 30 years or so. My first milestone is to make my hair denser, and the second to win back the hairline.

Based on my research I made a plan to use Rogaine Foam (Minoxidil), Revivogen Shampoo and Nizoral Shampoo. So what do you think:
1. Is this a good solution (at least to get to my first milestone)?
2. Should I go for Spectral DNC instead of Rogaine Foam? What's your oppinion on Spectral DNC?
3. Do you know any other better solutions to replace the Revivogen Shampoo with?
4. Might be a stupid question: I understand the shedding is a good sign because 'good' hair replaces the 'bad' one, but can you already have 'good' hair? If so, will there be any shedding? Is the shedding inversely proportional to how healthier your hair is in the first place or will it all shade the same?

I am only willing to try the "no known side effects" products so please don't recommend me finasteride, Propecia or others similar. Thank you kindly!

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no known side effects regimen is also known as the no known results regimen but good luck anyway, tackling it early is the best way to go and so long as you are on minoxlidil you have the growth side of things covered. I would recommend you looking into topical spironolactone as an anti androgen as you need something to inhibit dht to maintain hair and that may do it. Not sure how effective it is, nor about the sides but i know that a lot of people who wont consider finasteride go with spironolactone.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
chuck norris said:
Hey Guys,

First off, thank you all for your excellent input on this forum. I'm quite new to treating hair loss so it helps a lot to read from your experiences. :punk:

I'm almost 27, Caucasian, I have straight hair, I keep it about 3-5cm long (1.25"-2") and I am what I believe a NW1. I know this is not bad, but it's not perfect either. One other problem I'm facing is that the top part of my hair (I'm not good with terminology) has thinned out.

All this started maybe 4 years ago and took it's course very very slow. I've been warned then by my hairstylist and also a few times by my current one that the top is thinner, but I didn't see anything wrong so I basically ignored the warnings. I thought there was no real problem but just last week I took a group picture and I noticed the freaking receded hairline like never before. Bloody hairline.

The good news is that I don't believe I'm loosing hair, because I don't leave any hair behind when I shower or when I run my hands through my hair. But on the large view I do think I'm balding at the same slow pace as before. I'll try to post some pics soon.

My goal is to get my awesome-always-complemented-and-envied hair back!!! However I would be more than happy to keep it as it is for the next 30 years or so. My first milestone is to make my hair denser, and the second to win back the hairline.

Based on my research I made a plan to use Rogaine Foam (Minoxidil), Revivogen Shampoo and Nizoral Shampoo. So what do you think:
1. Is this a good solution (at least to get to my first milestone)?
2. Should I go for Spectral DNC instead of Rogaine Foam? What's your oppinion on Spectral DNC?
3. Do you know any other better solutions to replace the Revivogen Shampoo with?
4. Might be a stupid question: I understand the shedding is a good sign because 'good' hair replaces the 'bad' one, but can you already have 'good' hair? If so, will there be any shedding? Is the shedding inversely proportional to how healthier your hair is in the first place or will it all shade the same?

I am only willing to try the "no known side effects" products so please don't recommend me finasteride, Propecia or others similar. Thank you kindly!

I don't know if you're getting the scale mixed up but a norwood 1 is actually what is considered to be a perfect hairline. Maturation will get you to a norwood 2 which is my personal favourite (considering you had a decent hairline to begin with.)

chuck norris

Reaction score
Man in Space said:
no known side effects regimen is also known as the no known results regimen but good luck anyway, tackling it early is the best way to go and so long as you are on minoxlidil you have the growth side of things covered. I would recommend you looking into topical spironolactone as an anti androgen as you need something to inhibit dht to maintain hair and that may do it. Not sure how effective it is, nor about the sides but i know that a lot of people who wont consider finasteride go with spironolactone.

Hey Man in Space, thanks for your reply. I trust that finasteride or Propecia are the most powerful and useful but for me they're not an option, at least not for now. I'd like to try the safe way first and see where it gets me. Plus, considering all aspects, I'm quite sure I'd rather be bald than risk messing with my willy. :D

I've chosen Revivogen because this site says it is one of the best DHT Inhibitor and Androgen Blocker. I don't know if it is so but it seemed like a safe bet to try out first. I'm not sure if this was for all Revivogen products though, but I though to give their shampoo a chance. Do you (or anybody else) know if the Shampoo does about the same as the Conditioner or Scalp Therapy?

I am considering topical spironolactone also, but it's more difficult to get it from where I am. I'll check into it more though, thanks.

chuck norris

Reaction score
stableforehead said:
I don't know if you're getting the scale mixed up but a norwood 1 is actually what is considered to be a perfect hairline. Maturation will get you to a norwood 2 which is my personal favourite (considering you had a decent hairline to begin with.)

hey stableforehead, thanks for explaining this. I though Norwood 1 was in fact the first stage of balding. Well, if NW1 is normal than I think I am probablly a NW2. I'll attach some pics so please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks.

chuck norris

Reaction score
So these are some pictures I made with my shitty phone, sorry about the bad quality. Looking at the photos, the thinning part is warring me even more. Looking at my last photo... sniff.

By the way, the redness on my forehead is from wearing a fur cap so please ignore it.

Any opinions, advice, suggestions are more than welcomed. Thank you.

hair08.jpg

hair07.jpg

hair06.jpg

hair05.jpg

hair04.jpg

hair03.jpg

hair02.jpg

hair01.jpg

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have a strong NW2 hairline with a very small amount of minaturisation so its probably wise to get on some meds if you wish to preserve what you have there. I would be very interested to what other people have to say but I think I see some ludwig style thinning in the 3rd and 2nd to last photos mainly the obe displaying your parting, though it may just be a bad couple of pictures?

chuck norris

Reaction score
After 7 months

Hello everybody. I'm back with a few updates.

So I've started a regimen around the beginning of March on Rogaine Foam 5% and Nizoral 2% for about 2 months. A month after I started the regimen I visited a dermatologist to get some extra guidance and she (a hot dermatologist by the way) said I made a good decision with the Rogaine, but I should be very careful where I buy it from because a lot of them on the market are produced by 3rd parties and not as good as they should be. She recommended I can use Apolexy 5% with the same benefits (the same 5% monoxidil concentration). Because where I live it is difficult to get Rogaine and I can't be sure about its quality I choose to use Apolexy instead (after I finished the Rogaine I already bought). She also recommended I start using Vichy Hair Loss Shampoo (the Red label one) which I did and I really like it.

So, to recap, I used Rogaine (2 times a day, morning and night) with Nizoral (once a week) for 2 months, followed by Apolexy (2 times a day, morning and night) with Vichy Hair Loss Shampoo (about 2 times a week) until today (5 months). I was quite consistent, but I did skipped a few days throughout (not that many though). I haven't used it the last 2-3 weeks but I'm restarting today.

Conclusions:
I started seeing some small improvements in the first few weeks and haven't gone through any 'shading'.
Some baby hair appeared on the temples and it kept growing. I don't know if you can see them too good in the photos because of the sh1tty phone I used, but they are there, hopefully for the long run. It's funny because a few strong strands of hair started to grow very far from the rest (like half to 1 cm away from the hairline). They look like they've been manually planted there, but I'm quite ok with that. :D
Another good thing is that the hair in the front seems to be a bit more dense than before, which was probably my biggest concern. :punk:
About the density throughout the top of the head, It's hard to tell so I'm not sure what to think... It might have improved, but if it did only by very little. The hair does seem a bit more strong and healthy though. Maybe it's because of the different seasons, who knows...

I've attached some photos (sorry about the sh1tty quality) so please tell me what you think.

Bottom line is that there seems to be some small improvement, not too much though, but just enough to know I'm doing the right thing. In fact, I couldn't be more pleased if it wouldn't get better but wouldn't get any worse either. I'm very pleased with the way it is now and hope it will stay like this forever. :D

Good luck to you all!

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg

Kimkitten

Reaction score
I think your hair looks awesome as it is now man. But of course you should keep the regimen up to make it stay that way :).

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn you look great now. Not all the way back. It just looks like you have fine but normal head of hair from all angles.

chuck norris

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys!
@Kimkitten, yes, I will definitely keep up the regimen.
@Night, you are right, it is not perfect but it looks normal all around, which is really great. I couldn't be more pleased. Hopefully it will stay like this for a looong looong time. :)

Good luck to you guys also.

chuck norris

Reaction score
After 8 months

Hi everybody. I'm be back with an update after 8 and a half months.

I think things have been very good. Some new hair growing in the front and on the top part of the temples and the baby hair that appeared last year turned nicely into regular hair. The temples are still a bit toward the back for my liking but it's not that bad. Overall I think it is also a bit denser, but it's hard to tell because it is a lot longer now so that adds density by default.

My regimen has been the same, I've used only Minoxidil 5% (Alopexy) and Vichy Hair Loss Shampoo, but mostly I've cut down the Minoxidil by only once a day, and truth be told I forgot to use it around 5 to 10 days a month. For the last 30-40 days I've hardly used it at all, but I fear that was a very stupid move. I don't want to risk loosing what I've gained so far so as of today I'll resume using it. I think once a day is enough as long as I stick to it daily.

Overall I'm extremely happy and very relieved things have worked out so far, especially since the last half a year or so things has been very stressful for me and I feared that could have triggered some hair loss. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. As you can see, I took advantage and let my hair grow longer, like in the good days. I'm also rocking a beard so that goes nicely with it. But I do need to go to a hair saloon to trim it a bit.

Good luck to you all! May the Cousin Itt fairy visit you in your sleep!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow~ that is some very impressing grwoth!! good on you!