ClayShaw's Story - (27)

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys. Finally posting after months of reading. Especially entertained by CCS, Uncomfortable Man, and Hat Prisoner. Hat Prisoner is a great name by the way.
So, I noticed thinning up front and a little receding at the hairline a couple of months ago. Crown is good. I'm about to start Propecia.
Some questions:
Is it really worth it to get a scrip? Are the online generics too sketchy to be worth it? Is it worth the risk of getting it shipped to the US? I smoke weed, so illegal drugs is not new territory for me.
My other question has more to do with me keeping my hopes up than anything else. I have VERY little hair loss in my family. My dad started losing it in his mid 50's, he's now a NW3v or so. His dad went about that far, but didnt start until his mid 60's. I'm convinced I get my hair loss from my mom's side. Her dad died with Patrick Dempsey's hair at 94. Her maternal grandfather went bald. Her brother went bald, starting around the time I did. I'm 27. He went real slow. I saw a picture of him at my age, his temples are more receded than mine are, and at 47 he had what I and pretty much everyone on this board would consider to be a great head of hair (for his age--thick NW3). Now, he's 65, and he's probably a 4a.
So, my question is, how closely do you guys feel like you follow a specific member of your family? I've been through TONS of family photos, and the only guys who really lost anything starting in their 20's (excluding great grand uncles-- I just don't know) are my mom's maternal grandfather and her brother. It sure looks to me like I'm following my uncles pattern. Do you guys find rate of loss/extent of loss to be consistent with someone specifically, or are you guys unique in your hair loss?
I guess I'm hoping that I can use propecia to stave off my uncles pattern for a few years, until I get to an age where the level of loss is more acceptable to me. Like I said, he had a NW3, pushing 50, without any treatment. If I can postpone an NW3 with propecia until I'm 35 or so, I'm ok with that. I'm a 1.5/2 now.
Thanks alot for looking at this post, thanks for all the info on here, thanks for the entertainment (I'm laughing with you, not at you), I guess thanks for being here. You guys are great.
On a side note, my best friend of 15 years has alopecia totalis. He lost EVERYTHING at about age 16. So, so tough. He lost his eyebrows, all his body hair (certainly not entirely a bad thing, his girl doesn't mind), everything. He went from being a guy destined to be very good looking (he has a hot Brazilian mom) to a guy without any hair. He still looks ok (maybe I'm just used to it), and he still gets all the (hot) tail he wants. He's known for sharing certain physical traits with the late John Holmes, and I'm sure that doesn't hurt, but dude doesnt even have eyelashes...
Anyways, thanks again for being here. I thought the story of my buddy might help some of you a little bit. I know it doesn't make anyone feel any better, but you're definitely not alone in this.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Re: Hey Guys... New Here

In my opinion, I would just get a script because for me it's all about knowing what I am getting is the real stuff. It's expensive but at the end of the day it gives me piece of mind that it is the real stuff and not possibly just a placebo. Plus another thing for me would be say I order another supply but it still is taking a while because it gets stuck at customs and I only have five days left of pills? :shock:

Like I said, that is just my reasoning, still when you weigh the price. generics obviously win, but for me the risk does not.

As far as genetics in how far you go? Who knows. Some people look like they are going to lose it all in a couple of months but you see them two years later and there hair is still there although not looking great. Then a guy can have perfect hair and in two years be in really bad shape. Your genetics seem to suggest it might not get advanced but you never know.

The best thing to know is, the sooner you start it the greater the chance you have for success.

You sound like you have the right outlook so good luck with whatever decision you choose to do.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

If i was going to stay on finasteride I would keep getting it from the pharm because im the kind of person that worries about every little thing. I want to know what im getting is legit. I would also cut it in .5mg because your getting twice the product for your money and MAYBE 2% less effectiveness. its really nothing. good luck bro

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Nuli said:
If i was going to stay on finasteride I would keep getting it from the pharm because im the kind of person that worries about every little thing. I want to know what im getting is legit. I would also cut it in .5mg because your getting twice the product for your money and MAYBE 2% less effectiveness. its really nothing. good luck bro

Thanks.