clc's story - (age 21 diffusion due to weight loss? W/ PICS)

clc

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm new (obviously). my stories a bit different, i searched and couldn't find much so i figured i'd share and take everyones advice:

I'm 21 now, and between ages 15-18 I lost 100 lbs (6'3", was 302 now around 202-207). I lost 40 lbs my first year on my new diet, and the next spring my hairdresser told me i was balding. I told her she was crazy, but later realized my hair (whole head) got thinner. Now, I had hair down to my shoulders...my part got a tad bit thinner, but nothing crazy, i kept it long.

so fast forward to now, 5 years later and nothing's really changed except i had to get a grown up haircut, so if anything it looks fuller. no shedding, or anything noticable. However, I'm thinking that i may be loosing a little bit of my hairline up front (maybe 1-2cm). all through my teens my hairline moved a bit back, but my doctor said it was just me aging and my face shape changing. I'm not sure. I can tell you that my dad is 55 and has a pretty full head of hair. his side of the family started out with thick hair, like me, and it got thinner as they aged, but never any balding. My mom says her dad also had a full head of hair untill he left at around 40 years old.

well, here's a couple pictures. the first is me about 2 years ago (19ish), the only pic i could find...and the second is today. I'll be going to the doctor and i'm going to ask, but i'd love the opinion of everyone here~ do you think i need to start taking something/any sort of treatment? or is this maybe just a natural thing, and the loss was due to my weight and getting less nutrients?

thanks!

at 19-
2681169415_c27dc67ca0.jpg

today (same side)-
2681981086_216fa061ec.jpg

crown today (nothing really...wherever i part my hair it looks like this, top bottom sides...everywhere)
2681162967_b4da60e4f1.jpg

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: hair diffusion due to extreme weight loss? W/ PICS!

Hi, well I started shedding and developed a patch of hairloss on my vertex at about 13 years old. Progress was very slow until about 23 then bam hair thinned fast. You don't really look like your thinning. Do you see any miniturized hair?

ali777

Reaction score
Re: hair diffusion due to extreme weight loss? W/ PICS!

I went from about 92-94kg to 72kg in one year, and my hairloss coincided with that period.

Scientifically, there is a link between hair health and nutrition. If your weight loss was controlled and limited to burning fat only, I see no reason why that should affect your hair. However, my weight loss was due to bad diet, stress, etc, so I believe my hair follicles were deprived from essential nutrients.

Your hair looks normal right now, the "alleged" thinning might be just normal aging as your doctor said. If you are very concerned that you might be balding, you could consult someone with experience in the field.

If I were you, I wouldn't get too stressed about it. Even if you have a bit of thinning, your hair looks like it might be a good candidate for minoxidil which is branded as Regaine or Rogain. I am not suggesting that you jump into minoxidil treatment, but if it comes to that you are still at the beginning and the probability of having positive response is high.