cloning a data DVD

HughJass

Reaction score
anybody know of (free) way to do this?

trying to back up a data DVD I have but it says the disk is too big to be copied- 5.6 GB. Is there way to shrink this? I've shrunk a movie DVD before but can't find a program to do the same to a data DVD....

Bekim

Established Member
Reaction score
maybes yous nots so goods ats being softwarze pirates

maybes yous needs to search more ons net

Bekim :)

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
anybody know of (free) way to do this?

trying to back up a data DVD I have but it says the disk is too big to be copied- 5.6 GB. Is there way to shrink this? I've shrunk a movie DVD before but can't find a program to do the same to a data DVD....

Have you tried compressing the files using WINRAR,7zip or some thing similar ?
To compress a movie file is an easy job as the qulaity of the video[Resolution,bit rate,etc] is reduced to decrease the file size.With data files,the same thing is not possible.

HughJass

Reaction score
but then it would burn an archive of the program not the actual program- the disk is a complete program not a bunch of different files. If I'm making any sense....

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Use a dual layered disc then...They have twice as much space as the regular ones.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i assume the original DVD is dual layer (they are 8.5GB instead of 4.7)
if you are trying to copy a programme that installs from the disk you pretty much need a dual layer disk and burner or you're sh*t out of luck

if it's just a data disk for pics etc you will need an archiver but data can only be compressed so far
i personally like peazip
though i don't know which method would work the best so you'll have to play around with different compression methods

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Make the disc into an ISO using any burning program, if you dont own any download the trial of alcohol 120 or something. Use winrar to split the .ISO into 2 parts and burn them on a DVD.

There is a downside using that method. Now you got to first copy both of the winrar parts on the PC, merge them together and get the .iso and then mount them on a virtual disc using alcohol 120 or daemon tools

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MrBastard said:
Make the disc into an ISO using any burning program, if you dont own any download Daemon tools + imgburn or something. Use peazip to split the .ISO into 2 parts and burn them on a DVD.

There is a downside using that method. Now you got to first copy both of the peazip parts on the PC, merge them together and get the .iso and then mount them on a virtual disc using daemon tools
(removed trail software with free, non-annoying alternatives)
though if you are going to split the img you might as well compress the image
the data may be compressible, it depends on the programme, generally pictures and films will compress better than solid source code files
though some programmes will have compressed files already

for all this debate and conversation it might be worth your while to just get a pen stick, they are becoming fairly cheap these days and NAND storage is more reliable than optical media (if this is really a "backup" :innocent: )

HughJass

Reaction score
dual layer....didn't think of that.

My burner says it can do dual layer, I tried to clone this with Nero but still no go. It spat this error message (see image) out at me before it had even started to read the source disk, which is weird.

I'm not sure making an ISO of it and splitting it up will serve my purposes, I won't be able to launch the program from the disk if I do it this way will I?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 162

HughJass

Reaction score
somone uk said:
(if this is really a "backup" :innocent: )

I'm the legit owner of the original, I'm just really clumbsy and have a habit of scratching discs.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i suspect it's nero following DRM, procedures, try infrarecorder (it's free) and make an ISO image, (save it onto your hard drive) then burn from the iso image
see how it goes with that

HughJass

Reaction score
finally got some dual layer discs but I got a burn error on the first one.

Reluctant to give it another go as blank dual layers are pricey! Is there anything else I could try before giving it a second go and possibly getting the same result?