Coffee could hold the cure for baldness?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1774

...Despite these advances, a caffeine-based lotion could be a cheaper and equally effective alternative to baldness.

To test the idea, Dr Fischer took scalp biopsies from 14 men in the early stages of hair loss.

He extracted hair follicles and placed them in test tubes with solutions containing different levels of caffeine.

The samples were left in the laboratory for up to eight days to monitor growth. At the end of the experiment, caffeine had boosted the length of the hairs by between 33 per cent and 40 per cent.

In contrast, other test tubes containing hair follicles mixed with testosterone showed that they grew much more slowly.

Scientists behind the breakthrough believe caffeine affects hair cells in such a way that they are able to resist the damaging effects of DHT.

"Hair follicles that were treated with caffeine showed a highly significant growth rate at 24 hours, and still showed further significant growth at eight days," said Dr Fischer.

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
that would be Alpecin C1 caffine shampoo, out of Germany.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
wookster said:
Rambo said:
revita has caffeine in it.

I wonder what concentration of topical caffeine is most effective?

Recommended concentrations are 2% - 4%. I believe the 2% concentration to be the safest. Too much is baddddddddddd.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
According to the article, not enough - that it would take 60 cups of coffee to obtain the level of caffeine that the follicles in the study were exposed to.

powersam

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
I wonder if drinking caffeine has an effect on ones hair?

would probably have a negative effect if any, due it increasing inflammation.