ColForbin's Story - (Advice appreciated! *Now with PICS!)

colforbin

Reaction score
Hey yall,
I was looking for some advice on what regiment to do from all of you balding experts - here's my story:

I noticed hair on my hands in the shower when I was 18.5 years old. It started as just a couple, and over the years has slowly gotten worse..10, 20, and so on. After about 6 months, I started on 5% minoxidil twice a day, just because I was scared. It seemed to stop the shedding a bit, but not totally. By the time I was a couple months past 19, I would notice 60-70 hairs in the shower, and then another 50 or so falling out just when applying the minoxidil.

This has pretty much been the constant situation, with better and worse periods of shedding (I am now 21.5). Sometimes when its bad, I will notice over 100 hairs in the sink as I apply the minoxidil, so maybe its not working... There is definitely shedding every day.

However, I also found out at the end of this past summer (21 years old) that I have Sebhorreic Dermatitis, of which the ensuing inflammation of the scalp I suspect doesn't not help me keep my hair. The SD (although I didn't realize thats what it was) has been around since I was 16. I was prescribed Clobex and Ketaconazale to deal with the SD.

So your probably wondering, how do I look? The answer is relatively normal. I unfortunately don't have a picture, but I would say my thickness is still in the normal ranges, just verging on looking like "its getting a bit thin." My temples have receded a bit but not too much. My friends and family still tell me that it doesn't seem like I'm balding (although I certainly notice it obviously).

I'm looking to keep what I have and maybe have some regrowth. What do you all think I should do? Propecia is not an option. I just picked up some Nizoral 1%. How often do people usually use it? Was also thinking about getting some Tricomin, do people think this is worth it? Also, I heard there were higher strength minoxidil's above 5%...where does one find those?

Any advice is greatly greatly appreciated. I can't stand the thought of losing my hair, especially when it used to be so epic.

Thanks guys,
forbin

UPDATE - PICS: I know I look relatively ok in those, but as you all know, one notices when 100-200 hairs are falling out every day. I feel as if I'm on the fast track to cue ball. 63 views at this point, hope someone can help me out!

My shedding is diffuse.

Also, sorry the pics are so bad, I don't own a camera, this is just my computer

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.23.jpg
    Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.23.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.25.jpg
    Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.25.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.25 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2011-12-30 at 08.25 #3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 205

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: ColForbin's story ADVICE GREATLY appreciated! (Now with PICS

Are you thinning just on the top in the classic male pattern baldness area, or are you experiencing hair loss all over your head - sides, back, around the ears, etc.? While it is more than likely that you just have regular old male pattern baldness, global thinning could indicate another condition that would require different treatment.

As far as male pattern baldness regimens are concerned, the member Inland appears to be having success without propecia so you may want to check out his thread in the Success Stories section for ideas. Also, RU5881 is a non-systemic DHT blocker that you may be able to use as an alternative to finasteride, although it is expensive and difficult to acquire. For information regarding RU5881 you should check out member Irishpride's thread.

colforbin

Reaction score

Its hair loss just on top. I know the sides look weird in that photo, but its just because I have this weird nappy hair above my sideburns.

I'll look in to those two members' threads. I'm mainly wondering if I can reasonably expect a stoppage of shedding while using just minoxidil and nizoral.

Also I'm wondering if the side effects of dutasteride are different from finestride? or are they more or less the same?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Why is propecia not an option? Did you suffer sides from it already?

colforbin

Reaction score
grayman, I havent tried finasteride yet, I just hate the idea of taking pills - especially ones that are f*****g with hormones.

Pretty much the reason I made this thread is to ask, am I screwed if I don't get on finasteride? In other words, are topical things like minoxidil and nizoral enough to stop the loss usually? (nevermind about regrowing at this point)

colforbin

Reaction score
Come on guys, I know that a lot of you dont want to take the time to talk to someone who is not open to taking finasteride, but with all of these views, I would really appreciate the advice. Have there been any regimens that have worked on stopping loss without finasteride?

minoxidil foam vs liquid?

Petchsky

Reaction score
If you want success without finasteride you need to look into spironolactone/proxiphen/RU/revivogen/tricomin....

If you look in the success section look up a poster's story called 'Inland' he's had success without finasteride. His regimen could work for you, as neither have severe hairloss, more slow and steady.

As for foam v liquid, I think liquid is slightly better at absorbing, but for me it's more a choice of what's best for the user.

cuebald

Reaction score
try a topical anti-androgen. If you don't inhibit DHT then no matter what you do to try thicken your hair, the follicles will still die off regardless. It would be a losing battle.
Doesn't look bad from the pictures though; can't really see any evidence of male pattern baldness myself. Perhaps you have Telogen Effluvium?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Yeh if you don't at least try finasteride you've narrowly limited your choices and most of those are only short term solutions.