Collagen?

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.add-hair.com/collagen-hair.htm

What do you guys think of this stuff? They make pretty big claims.

Anyway, if not for hair loss....do you think this type of supplement does any good?

I will research this a bit in the coming days.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a problem with the modern diet removing connective and skin tissue from the plate. Instead of stocks made over 12 hours in the kitchen we get fake flavored crap in a can. As a result you do end up with less of this substance than you should be getting. You could just skip the supplementation and make your own stocks or buy some real stock from local farmers, much better option in my opinion.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Yeah I am currently debating as to whether the best chances can be yielded with simply collagen supplements, or collagen precursors. Additionally you would imagine that the older someone is, the slower the body is going to be at producing collagen. I was thinking perhaps lipoic acid and ALCAR might help with this (and similar supplements) as they increase mitochondrial energy? Just a thought :)

Oh, and what IS the difference between hydrolized collagen and just collagen, in terms of their effectiveness and use to the body in supplement form? I was trying to work out which might have a better effect.

As for the topic overall, I think the older someone is or the worse their skin is, the more chance collagen rebuilding might be helpful. But it's all speculation at the moment.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
There is a problem with the modern diet removing connective and skin tissue from the plate. Instead of stocks made over 12 hours in the kitchen we get fake flavored crap in a can. As a result you do end up with less of this substance than you should be getting. You could just skip the supplementation and make your own stocks or buy some real stock from local farmers, much better option in my opinion.

I just wanted to say, very well put. Most people do not even consdier this fact.

I would also like to point out that you can indeed increase collagen synthesis via the consuption of hydroglyzed collagen i.e. type II and lysine. I would recoemend a gram or more of each.

I use this as well as topical hyaluronic acid

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Yeah I am currently debating as to whether the best chances can be yielded with simply collagen supplements, or collagen precursors. Additionally you would imagine that the older someone is, the slower the body is going to be at producing collagen. I was thinking perhaps lipoic acid and ALCAR might help with this (and similar supplements) as they increase mitochondrial energy? Just a thought :)

Oh, and what IS the difference between hydrolized collagen and just collagen, in terms of their effectiveness and use to the body in supplement form? I was trying to work out which might have a better effect.

As for the topic overall, I think the older someone is or the worse their skin is, the more chance collagen rebuilding might be helpful. But it's all speculation at the moment.

Consider Grape Seed Extract as it help improve your bodies ability to form collagen

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hmm. Thing is, I ideally don't want to utterly overwhelm myself with collagen-related supplements, as it is expensive and time-consuming. I wonder what the best related multis are, or if any individual supplements may be effective enough on their own.

If anyone finds any particularly good looking multis, please post them if that's ok with the OP! :)

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
Skin wounding increases collagen levels in the skin by around 400%. If I remember correctly. Main reason I do it. Also one of the reasons why it works well with minoxidil, I think. As minoxidil is suppose to have the side-effect of lowering collagen levels?

Pulling this off the top of my head. So anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong in these statements.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Ok, I just grabbed hydrolized collagen and ordered hyaluronic acid. I'll stick with these at a good, high dose (6 grams a day of collagen (recommended dose) and about 100-300mg of h acid) along with lots of vitamin C, omega 3 and b-vits in my diet, and just see where this takes me. I believe that if I fix my skin, I will probably fix my hair. Probably.

Let's find out :)

EDIT -- I'll also use some concentration of tretinoin (Retin-A) on my hairline to keep it kicking!

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Ok, I just grabbed hydrolized collagen and ordered hyaluronic acid. I'll stick with these at a good, high dose (6 grams a day of collagen (recommended dose) and about 100-300mg of h acid) along with lots of vitamin C, omega 3 and b-vits in my diet, and just see where this takes me. I believe that if I fix my skin, I will probably fix my hair. Probably.

EDIT -- I'll also use some concentration of tretinoin (Retin-A) on my hairline to keep it kicking!

FYI vit C breaks HA (hayluronic acid) down. Also you can't absorbe HA internally and no one offers it for oral purposes, you can only absorbe via injection or transdermally.

Just take Hydrolyzed type II collagen and grape seed

Hoppi

Reaction score
purecontrol said:
Hoppi said:

FYI vit C breaks HA (hayluronic acid) down. Also you can't absorbe HA internally and no one offers it for oral purposes, you can only absorbe via injection or transdermally.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4355wt_934

Type 2 collagen is for cartilage, not skin.

EDIT -- I am however still interested in grape seed extract. It really depends how effective it seems to be for this purpose, I have started only buying things now if I really have faith they will have an effect. I'll do some reading :)

Ah apparently Resveratrol does it too, which is good because I have some already. I wonder which one is best.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
purecontrol said:
Hoppi said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4355wt_934

Type 2 collagen is for cartilage, not skin.

EDIT -- I am however still interested in grape seed extract. It really depends how effective it seems to be for this purpose, I have started only buying things now if I really have faith they will have an effect. I'll do some reading :)

Ah apparently Resveratrol does it too, which is good because I have some already. I wonder which one is best.

Your product, it is Bio Cell Collagen type II. Also Type II is not for cartilage/ligaments, it does not work like that, anything that uses lysine and proline etc will use tye I, II, III etc.

You want the grape seed no matter what as it is a COX-2 inhibitor, far stronger AO than vit C or E, is fat soluble, helps with collagen production etc etc etc.

You are on the right track

Hoppi

Reaction score
Cool thanks man, its all really very new to me so that was really helpful :)

I am taking good doses of a lot of stuff as well as some stuff to lower DHT. I'm actually fairly like, nervous about it all and am always checking my skin and looking for improvements, its really too early to tell though. Of course I dont know for certain the extent to which it will affect my hair (if at all) but I do have a good feeling about it, and I am almost a bit excited at the idea that i MAY finally understand the mechanism behind my hair loss, who knows.

I will keep people posted about this, and keep my fingers very firmly crossed :)

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Cool thanks man, its all really very new to me so that was really helpful :)

I am taking good doses of a lot of stuff as well as some stuff to lower DHT. I'm actually fairly like, nervous about it all and am always checking my skin and looking for improvements, its really too early to tell though. Of course I dont know for certain the extent to which it will affect my hair (if at all) but I do have a good feeling about it, and I am almost a bit excited at the idea that i MAY finally understand the mechanism behind my hair loss, who knows.

I will keep people posted about this, and keep my fingers very firmly crossed :)

Do you take fish oil also, that is a big one

Jacob

Reaction score
Umbelliferin (from Coriander seed oil )

The Active Petroselic acid triglyceride esters are effective moisturisers for dry skin conditions,

It increases deposition of collagen and decorin in skin and effective against ageing .

Functions as Anti-irritant as it reduces the production of pro-inflammmatory substances.

Petroselinic acid was found to be a potential skin permeation enhancer. It is also reported to be a potent topoisomerase inhibitor, which are topically beneficial in proliferative skin conditions such as psoriasis .

Was looking into Cococin again..was on this page: http://www.joharacosmetics.com/aci.htm

Hoppi

Reaction score
Well, I _believe_ my skin is improving gradually and thickening up... it does seem to be but it's gradual. So time will tell if this also solves my hair problem :)