Columbo's Story - 5/6 Month Update - New Pics

columbo

Reaction score
Hi people of the forum, heres my story and pics. Good to be a part of this great community.

I am 40 years old and have been losing my hair slowly for the past 5 years I would say. I first started any kind of treatment maybe 3 years ago when I started minoxidil but hated the way it made my hair feel and also as I was only just losing my hair, I was worried the minoxidil would cause a more rapid loss. Shortly after I satred Propecia and took it for a year. Didnt notice any growth and also do no know if I maintained. I guess it is hard to say whether you maintain because of the drug or because you would have maintained anyway???

Anyway, after the year on Propecia, I kind of accepted that I was losing my hair and just buzzed down to a grade one, my partner at the time rather liked the look so I kept it that way for her really but deep inside I wasnt happy. Anyhow, once I became single again, I decided to try and grow my hair again and when I did it became noticeable that I had lost more hair. so for the last year or so I have been trying again with various treatments. From March last year I was using Nisim shampoo and extract and although people on the Nisim forum claim good results, I dont think it had any effect. So from October last year I have been back on Propecia. I have been using Nizoral for about 2 months and minoxidil for about 3 weeks. I am still concerned that the Minoxidil will cause me to lose more hair but what the hell, I am depressed as hell anyway. In fact I think I have shed heavily on the left side already but then I also think I have grown some new hairs around the hairline on that side also.

I have always considered a hair transplant but never had the money. Now I am currently in a position that I could likely afford a small hair transplant perhaps on the front third but now that I am in that positon I am scared to death. Not so much at the result but more as to how I would get time off work and also explain the procedure to other people. I would want to keep it completely secret.

Are there any worthwhile clinics in the UK. I am based in Manchester or are the best surgeons. still in the USA

Would appreciate if somebody could comment on my hair loss, what Norwood scale I am etc and what my best course of action might be.

Kind Regards

Columbo

14_03_2008.jpg

Taken 14 March 2008

13_04_2008.jpg

Taken 13 April 2008

12_06_2008.png

Taken 12 June 2008

Top_Wet11012009.JPG

Top Wet Taken 11 January 2009

Top_Wet2_11012009+.JPG

Top Wet Combed Forward Taken 11 January 2009

Top_Dry11012009.JPG

Top Dry Taken 11 January 2009

Top_Dry2_11012009.JPG

Top Dry Taken 11 January 2009

Right_Temple211012009.JPG

Right Temple Taken 11 January 2009

Right_Temple211012009.JPG

Right Temple Taken 11 January 2009

Right_Side11012009.JPG

Right Side Taken 11 January 2009

Left_Temple11012009.JPG

Left Temple Taken 11 January 2009

Left_Temple2_11012009.JPG

Left Temple Taken 11 January 2009

Left_Side11012009.JPG

Left Side Taken 11 January 2009

Front_Dry11012009.JPG

Front Dry Taken 11 January 2009

Mal

Reaction score
Re: Columbos story and Pics

Okay, buddy. Don't fret. I'd like to be the first to congraduate making it this far without hair loss.

You seem to have the right idea, which is not to use all three products alone, but together. Trust me, it should help a good amount. The trick is to ride out the sheds. They're a good thing and mean better hair is on the way. Just keep it up and don't stop. After a year or so see where you are and what you would want from an hair transplant.

Good luck!

columbo

Reaction score
Re: Columbos story and Pics

Hi Mal

Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I will hopefully keep it up but at the moment I am considering buzzing down.

Cheers

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Columbo's Story - ( with PICS!!!)

Hey,

You shouldn't feel ashamed about telling people you're gettting a hair transplant. It will actually make you feel good about yourself because you won't have to hide it and people will know rather than always wondering how you got all that hair in a week :).

It'll go something like this:

You: Hey boss I need a week's vacation for a hair transplant.
Boss: You're kidding right?
You: No I swear. I'm single and figured I need to be looking my best to attract someone.
Boss: hahaha...you're getting a raise when you get back and you can use the company lambo.

But that's just what I would do.........Anyways, all the best to you!

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score

America is the place to go for cosmetic surgery, especially now with our economy in shambles. There was actually a report on the news about cosmetic surgeons losing a lot of money because women aren't getting breast implants anymore and buying groceries instead. Plus you'll score on the exchange rate as well.

Before you go that drastic though I'd buzz your hair real short and give the medicine a year to see where you stand.

SE-freak

Reaction score

Columbo:

Thanks for sharing your very detailed story. Either you choose the hair transplant route or not, I think that minoxidil/finasteride/nizoral should be a part of your regimen. In fact those 3 could be your entire regimen as long as you are determined to use them consistently. Combining them and without on-offs I believe that you will have gains that will compliment the significant amount of hair that you have managed to maintain up to your advanced (since we are talking male pattern baldness!) age.

I remember huge sheds when I first started using minoxidil. I brushed my hair and the sink got a hairstyle. If you have noticed increased shedding after initiating minoxidil treatment before, then your follicles respond to this treatment and will likely respond (to which degree is not certain) again. Shedding and miniaturization are two different things, the second involves the first but not the other way round necessarily. That is why huge sheds scare people out of potentially very effective regimens.

That concludes my jabbering, glad to have you around and welcome to the boards.

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey Columbo your hair doesn't look too bad! I would definitely give the rogaine and propecia and chance as another posted said you will probably have to be on at least propecia for the rest of your life because you want to keep the hair you have and if you do decide to get a transplant well it will mesh in well, would be silly to get a hair transplant and after a year or two be bald in the areas you didn't treat (or thinning). Best to keep that hair and go to a TOP Doctor in the U.S. I feel you are a very grounded person with realistic expectations with proper guidance and reading enough I think you will come out looking great. I say while propecia and rogaine and going to work for you, use this time to explore the options of hair transplant and learn the ins and outs, truly read every story and go to a well U.S respected doctor who will give you a good result, only thing is traveling you have to probably come back and forth so make sure you can. You seem like a great guy and thanks for sharing yout story with us ... keep us updated wish you nothing but the best!

Regards,
Rich

columbo

Reaction score

Thanks for all your responses and support guys, its great to know there are other who understand.

Cleverusername, why do you suggest buzzing short? Is it merely to apply the minoxidil easier or because my hair will look better? My only concern about buzzing so short is that I am a part time actor and with such a drastic buzz I am likely restricting any roles I may be cast for.

Have been using minoxidil liquid for the last month but have just ordered some foam. So that may make my hair feel better. I also have some Dermatch for concealing. I ordered the light brown but it does seem very dark. So dark in fact that somebody at work commented a few weeks ago, they then convinced themselves that my hair was probably darker because it was longer :)

Anyway, thanks for all your support guys it means a lot.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score

It definitely makes applying minoxidil easier but the main reason for cutting it short is because it actually makes the hairloss less noticeable. Sounds strange but it's true I think it's mainly because it gives your head a more symmetrical look and so more attention is focused to the face rather than the hair.

As for the acting it may open roles that you might not have been considered for before. Buzz cuts can give a variety of appearances depending on your clothes or attitude. It could be anywhere from sophisticated businessman in a suit to tough guy football hooligan in a jersey. Plus even if the role calls for long hair there's always the option of a wig which even people who haven't lost any hair wear.

Trust me you will feel much more confident and look great if you do it. It doesn't have to be a #2 buzz it could be up to a #5 and look good. It's hard to describe you just kind of feel a bit free from this hair loss drama when you do it.

columbo

Reaction score

Yes, I understand what you mean clever, to be honest, I was buzzed to a grade 1 and 2 up until last year sometime but just got a bit sick of looking like a thug. lol

mmmm, I may consider it, I cant decide if what I currently have looks bad or not, my g/f says no but then IO doubt she would say anything that may make me feel more depressed?

Thanks for the reply

SE-freak

Reaction score

A buzz besides making topical application easier and complimenting an male pattern baldness hit head, will let you monitor your results better. As hair grows from root, short length will bring new growth into play under equal terms with the rest of your hair. It will also take your mind off your hair/styling. In addition, it casts away any observer's assumption(true or not) that you are trying to conceal your hairloss which gives an air of extreme confidence imo.

But then again... it's a personal choice! ;)

columbo

Reaction score

Update at month 2 of Rogaine foam and month 4 Propecia

Also month 2 of the vitamins and supplements in my current regimen.

not sure if I can notice any progress but i am feeling a bit better about my hair these days. That could all change tomorrow though. You know what it is like?

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score

Great Improvement, overall your texture looks MUCH thicker and much healthier. I cannot see the crown close up but it looks like it filled in.

Your haircut also seems very nice that suits you well, seems trimmed nicely and makes the hair over all look even better.

I think your hair looks pretty damn good.

Keep us updated!

Rich

columbo

Reaction score

Wow thanks for the positive feedback Rich

I dont feel like it has filled in so much but your comments have given me encouragement. Thanks again mate, I will uppdate every month

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score

columbo said:
Update at month 2 of Rogaine foam and month 4 Propecia

Also month 2 of the vitamins and supplements in my current regimen.

not sure if I can notice any progress but i am feeling a bit better about my hair these days. That could all change tomorrow though. You know what it is like?

This pic looks awesome!

Keep up the meds.

az

columbo

Reaction score

Thanks for the comment az

Had my hair cut a little last week but you know how it is when you ask for a little off and damn barbers do their own thing! so more off than I wanted. :(

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score

columbo said:
Thanks for the comment az

Had my hair cut a little last week but you know how it is when you ask for a little off and damn barbers do their own thing! so more off than I wanted. :(

LOL...thats exactly what happens to me everytime...i've come to accept it.

Try to go on a friday...then you have 3 days of growth before starting the week off :p

columbo

Reaction score

Ok guys, heres an update. Been a few months since my last update and I have had my hair cut quite short since. In fact it is almost back to how it was when I first started this process.

Anyway, I have been on Propecia for about 7 or 8 months now and on Minoxidil Foam for about 4 months, 5 months tops. I only really use the minioxidil once at night to be honest. Have also been taking multi vits, fish oil and MSM for a couple of months.

Anyway, cant for the life of me remember how to post pics to the forum so here is a link to my photobucket album that I created with pics I took this morning. I cant see much improvement if I am honest, perhaps in the crown but not much elsewhere. Perhaps you guys can see improvement that I am missing? You know how it is? you always have a negative opinion of your own progress.

Cheers Guys

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... =slideshow

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Did you encounter the so-called massive shed in the start of your regimen of finasteride?
How do you feel yourself mentally? How's your mood? Are you able to socialize like you were used to and be as clever, witty and humorous? Are you able to concentrate the mind and study?
Has your liver given you any signs, like brown urine or pain? How much alcohol do you drink?
Thank you very much! Your answers are very helpful to me, a 18 year old young who just started finasteride and is very worried about his health.

columbo

Reaction score
Hi Fanjeera

I did not or should that be have not had any major sheds since using any of the meds. But then I think you only have those massive sheds when you are a good responder. I think in my case the meds have had some success but nothing major.

I have not, as far as I am aware suffered any side effects. I do not drink alcohol at all really, very rarely do mI have the odd bottle of beer. I have had no liver pain, urine discolouration or modd changes.

I hope that helps but just because I have had no sides doesn't mean you won't, but lets hope you don't.

Cheers